Two UMAT questions a day. (1 Viewer)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Reasoning for 5:

It may be interesting to note that the first letter of each name are actually the first consecutive 5 letters of the alphabet - this can be used for simplicity.

We are given the information (Bob and Cindy are each older than both Diane and Ellen):

B C ^
D E | older

When given A is older then E, the possibilities become:
A A
B C
A A
D E
This ensures all the possibilities of this statement are covered, now for the elimination process.

Now, for the process of elimination.
(a) Allen is younger than Bob (A is below B)
This is true, but not for all case (A is above B in two cases i.e. Allen is older then Bob)

(b) Cindy is older than Bob (C is above B)
This is not true, as no information indicates this so.
(d) Allen is older than Cindy (A above C)
not necessarily (A is below C in one case)

(c) Allen is older than Diane
In all cases this is true (A is above D in all cases)

Therefore the answer is C.
(Though i am more than sure that there are flaws in this working out)
i think u misunderstood the question.

Pfortune35

HSC
5. this one is pretty easy im quite suprized many got it wrong

cindy > ellen

if allen > cindy

then allen > ellen

therefore D

6. this one is a little bullshit and at first I said nostalgic(cause shes telling a story)

but reading other peoples above id says it more light hearted

Dylanamali

HSC

cindy > ellen

if allen > cindy

then allen > ellen

therefore D

6. this one is a little bullshit and at first I said nostalgic(cause shes telling a story)

lol, for 5 everyone said D except one person

lath

HSC
5 - D
6 - I strongly think its C because he's reflecting on his past.

jnney

lemon
HSC
5. D [self-explanatory]

6. B. It would not make sense to act out the last statement in any of the other emotions.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Epic long comment.

^ lol.

... @ Sainteced- I wish I could summarise Q4 like you did, so succinct and logical. I struggle with this skill all the time; I barely ever finish my exams because I tend to explain my answers in too much detail or struggle to construct an answer that addresses the question appropriately :'(
Should've seen my SC science exam...the 'short' answers were tripple lined. No doubt they had fun reading it.
Any tips on how to be as succinct and logical in answering questions??
I just use a maths equation where applicable. In terms of becoming more 'succinct' I would suggest trying to increase your vocabulary. For example 'extrapolate' means 'to extend further than evidence illustrates'. A good idea is to establish what you want to say and word it in a chronological fashion e.g. How did mendel's experiments help modern medicine? Answer: (1) What was Mendel's Experiment(s)? (2) Example of Mendel's experiment. (3) Use in modern medicine + example. If you have an order or plan for your questions, you learn to choose your words carefully because you are only thinking of one part of the plan at a time.

3-A (many people have explained it)
4-D
Like someone said the woman constantly repeats words like can't and need. Option A is too weak emotionally to be counted (she will be in severe pain). For B she doesn't seem irrational because she simply wants to save herself and avoid pain. For C she is concerned but her dialogue is beyond that as she seems panicky. Someone who is concerned would do so in a calm manner. Hence option D

On another note, I have to say sainteced you are a legend for creating this thread, repping you.
I like your method of answering the question. You have covered all bases. Keep it up =)

3. A
4. D. its not B (irrational) because she is going off previous experience rather this being her first time.
That is a good reason that I didn't think of. Thank you

Reasoning for 5:

It may be interesting to note that the first letter of each name are actually the first consecutive 5 letters of the alphabet - this can be used for simplicity.

We are given the information (Bob and Cindy are each older than both Diane and Ellen):

B C ^
D E | older

When given A is older then E, the possibilities become:
A A
B C
A A
D E
This ensures all the possibilities of this statement are covered, now for the elimination process.

Now, for the process of elimination.
(a) Allen is younger than Bob (A is below B)
This is true, but not for all case (A is above B in two cases i.e. Allen is older then Bob)

(b) Cindy is older than Bob (C is above B)
This is not true, as no information indicates this so.
(d) Allen is older than Cindy (A above C)
not necessarily (A is below C in one case)

(c) Allen is older than Diane
In all cases this is true (A is above D in all cases)

Therefore the answer is C.
(Though i am more than sure that there are flaws in this working out)
UMAT questions generally use names whose first letters are consecutive, it's a small attempt at making the exam 'easier'.

I don't quite understand your reasoning. I don't know if you think 'Boy and Cindy are both older than Diane and Ellen' or 'Bob and Cindy are older than the addition of the ages of Diane or Ellen'. The question is worded to deceive you. There is nothing wrong with getting caught now since you can identify it and remember it for other questions. If you chose the right answer than forgive me =)

Doing Q6 first, I have to think about Q5 more...
I believe the answer is (B) -light-hearted.
Initially we get the sense of a reminicense, 'My friend Paul was driving....', however a crash is not a happy memory or one that would want to be relived, i.e. something to be nostalgic about. Not (C).
No sense of anger present (D).
Can't see any sadness present either. Because he/she ends in '... I remember thinking this was unoriginal' rather than noting the affects the event had on him, they chose this ^; leads me to think it's (B).
Good thought process combined with elimination. Nice work =)

i would have to say question 5 is D becaue is makes ALLEN older then CINDY and BOB who are older then DIANE and ELLEN. A>C/B>DE

For question 6 the answer has to be B light hearted.A (angered) would be wrong because the language used does not refer to her /him being angry. the feeling is alo not nogalitic becaue he/she does not miss the event that occured. it also isnt sadened as there is no evidence for saddness
It is good that you are so sure about your answer. Just don't be discouraged if you chose the wrong one the first time round.

cindy > ellen

if allen > cindy

then allen > ellen

therefore D

What was your thought process when you chose 'nostalgic'? and next time try not to look at other answers until you've tried it yourself, it is the only way to learn. =)

5 - D
6 - I strongly think its C because he's reflecting on his past.
doesn't nostalgic mean reflecting on the past of good things?
Good, know the definitions. That is one of the main things that will lead you to success in Section 2, the subtle differences between synonyms.

5. D [self-explanatory]

6. B. It would not make sense to act out the last statement in any of the other emotions.
Do people make sense?

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
There has to be some sort of sense. Otherwise how would we know which answer to pick?
People don't always do what is logical and especially with the UMAT you have to be very careful. They examine you on what people have done and how. Logical or not.

qwerty44

HSC
Damn human condition.
Haha the amount of people that don't think logically at all.... Especially really smart people who arnt logical, a teacher calls them "knowledgable idiots".
Hence UMAT, I guess.
And that's not to say that if you don't pass UMAT your an idiot, I know how tough it is.

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
Careers advisor said it was harder than the whole HSC altogether. At that moment I was dropping out to become a cat.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Careers advisor said it was harder than the whole HSC altogether. At that moment I was dropping out to become a cat.
Your career advisor must really want to scare the crap out of you. It's not that hard.

Eg155

HSC
Yea, he said despite my acedemic abilities most of the brightest students don't get through the UMAT but get an amazing ATAR. I quote, ''be prepared to settle for a science degree". -.-
Oh well, I'm moving to a better school this year where they are more encouraging :D

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Answers:

Question 5

It important not to be thrown off by these questions. I suggest highlighting ‘each’ and ‘both’ which will remind you that the ages of bob OR cindy are higher than BOTH Diane and Ellen. E.g. if Diane and Ellen was aged 2 and 3 respectively than Bob and Cindy must both be aged higher than 3.
Now look for concrete proof, in (d) if allen is older than cindy then allen MUST be older than both diane and ellen.

Question 6

Nostalgia suggests that the author is reflecting on past 'good times', but this is not the case (option C). There is no evidence of sadness (option A) or anger (option D). By elimination, option B is the best answer. Comments such as the idea that cars weren't on rails somehow suddenly struck me as unbelievable' and 'I remember thinking this is really unoriginal' support this point.

New Questions

Question 7

Any movie starring Russel Crowe will win an Academy Award, but no movie starring Russel Crowe will ever earn more than $20 million from ticket sales. Some movies that earn more than $20 million from ticket sales are directed by Steven Spielberg

Which of the following conclusions must be true, based on the above statements?

a) No movie directed by Stephen Spielberg will win an Academy Award

b) Some movies directed by Steven Spielberg may star Russel Crow

c) Some movies earning more than $20 million in ticket sales may star Russel Crowe

d) No movie starring Russel Crowe will win an Academy Award

Question 8
A physiotherapist is doing rounds in a hospital ward. One of her patientsis a young male basketball player who has had major knee surgery. His knee hasto be exercised daily. One day he tells her that his knee is not gettingbetter, so there is no point putting himself through the pain and effort of theexercises. He will never play again. He tells her that he no longer needs herhelp.

What is the most probable cause of his decision?

a)
He finds the exercises painful and demanding.

b) He is frustrated that his knee is not responding well to treatment.

c) He is depressed. He believes his career is over and his future is uncertain.

d) He belives physiotherapy is not the best way to treat his knee.
[h=2][/h]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)