Two UMAT questions a day. (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
Haha the amount of people that don't think logically at all.... Especially really smart people who arnt logical, a teacher calls them "knowledgable idiots".
Hence UMAT, I guess.
And that's not to say that if you don't pass UMAT your an idiot, I know how tough it is.
Tbh, I think the UMAT is just an elaborate scam to make money for both ACER and all the tutoring centres which run over-priced programs. Generally speaking the smart kids who will end up getting the high UMAT scores will also get high ATARs but go to the prep courses because of their parents and a false cause and effect relationship is created making everyone think that paying $1000 will ensure success. I really think the best way to assess would be it to set a stricter interview process with similar ATARs to now.

nazfiz

HSC
7-B
For option A there is no mention of the relation between Spielberg's movies and academy awards just box office stats. For option C the text has ruled out any possibility of movies starring Crowe getting more then $20 million in ticket sales (but no movie starring Russel Crowe will ever earn more than $20). In the text option D is ruled out as it says, 'Any movie starring Russel Crowe will win an Academy Award'. Hence option B is most viable as it says SOME movies may star crowe and be directed by spielberg, as it says in the text only some movies by spielberg make more then $20 million, thus meeting the condition for Crowe which states that any movie he stars in cannot make more than $20 million in sales.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit too incoherent

will post my attempt of question 8 a bit later

MW4521

HSC
N/A
7: B
8: C

for question 8 I chose C because I thought he was more depressed than frustrated. He said "i will never play again" which was referring to his future

but everyone is saying B so i'm not too sure :/

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
7: B
8: C

for question 8 I chose C because I thought he was more depressed than frustrated. He said "i will never play again" which was referring to his future

but everyone is saying B so i'm not too sure :/
But his attitude was more of a 'Screw this, I'm not gonna do it anymore' kind of attitude, which implies frustration.

MW4521

HSC
N/A
But his attitude was more of a 'Screw this, I'm not gonna do it anymore' kind of attitude, which implies frustration.
or is more of a 'whats the point, it's not improving.My career is over anyway', which can imply depression

Dylanamali

HSC
I think "depressed" is too strong a word and frustrated is more suitable.
Also, I think the fact that his reaction seems sudden - "One day" shows that its more a frustrated, circumstantial reaction rather than depression which to me is associated with an extended period of time/chronic illness.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Hard to say, but i think:
b
c
in regard to question 8, option b states he is frustrated because his knee isn't getting better, option c on the other hand concerns his future. Resultantly I chose option c because he explicitly states" I will never play again". You don't say something like that unless you've lost all hope which is really depression.If he was only frustrated he would have stopped at mentioning that the treatment was to no avail and hence there was no point in going through all the pain. Just my take on it:detective:

jnney

lemon
HSC
7 - B
8 - B

'there's no point putting himself through the pain and effort' - complaining.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Hard to say, but i think:
b
c
in regard to question 8, option b states he is frustrated because his knee isn't getting better, option c on the other hand concerns his future. Resultantly I chose option c because he explicitly states" I will never play again". You don't say something like that unless you've lost all hope which is really depression.If he was only frustrated he would have stopped at mentioning that the treatment was to no avail and hence there was no point in going through all the pain. Just my take on it:detective:
"One day he tells her that his knee is not gettingbetter, so there is no point putting himself through the pain and effort of the exercises."
If he were depressed, it would be more likely that he show less enthusiasm and more of a gradual decrease in effort rather than suddenly one day giving up.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
7) B

8) C (could be B though), but I don't believe that frustration would lead to quitting, let alone in such a polite manner. If he was frustrated he probably would of taken it out on the physio. Being depressed however makes him passive and thus why he wasn't rude or anything to the physio and his tone has a sense of "hopelessness".

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
"One day he tells her that his knee is not gettingbetter, so there is no point putting himself through the pain and effort of the exercises."
If he were depressed, it would be more likely that he show less enthusiasm and more of a gradual decrease in effort rather than suddenly one day giving up.
fair point. Its a hard question, guess we will just have to find out:smile:

Eg155

HSC
Q7) (B)
RC= Academy Award
RC= < $20 million
(some) SS=> $20 million

Not (A) because a SS movie may star RC, and anything starring RC will win an AA.
Not (C). The second part of the first sentence is explicit in contradicting this statement.
Not (D). The first part of the first sentence explains why not, also.
Therefore, (B); nothing in the passage disproves this statement.

Q8) I too was divided between (B) & (C)
But I choose (C) to be the most correct.

Here are my reasons: We can't just assume that he has started physio with her yet, nor can we assume that '...no longer needs her help' means that he has already received help; 'no longer' can mean you reject the help being offered, like in class and you ask someone for help and they are busy at that moment and then you realise the answer yourself, then you could reply, 'I no longer need your help'; you haven't received the assistance though. The passage mearly states that she was on rounds and that he needed to daily exercises to recover. It doesn't say that he had done the exercises and that they were painful, it says the physio exercises are painful (general statement, also, not in past tense).
He could have been sitting in hospital for several weeks waiting to seek her assistance in physio and that one day she got to him on rounds he finally gave in; in the mean-time he may have developed depression waiting for her and developed this frame of mind that he 'will never play again'- his career is over, and in turn become depressed from long waiting period for the physio therapy he sought for recovery, seeing no progression by himself. .. his solemn waiting may have been the ignition source for the depression, a depression that would cause such negative talk of 'no longer needing her help'. (C).

I'm probably wrong, but that's how I see it. From House you learn never to assume what something has/is causing but rather what could be the cause of the complication...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)