Two Unit Surfing as HSC course? (1 Viewer)

A l

HSC
N/A
An interesting issue to be brought up:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/surfing-at-school-challenged/2005/09/07/1125772568145.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minister makes waves over school surfing classes

NSW Education Minister Carmel Tebbutt has asked education bureaucrats to explain why they allowed surfing to be included in the high school curriculum.

Byron Bay High School, on the northern NSW coast, runs a course in applied sport for surfing.

Ms Tebbutt said the Board of Studies-endorsed course had been developed by the school and did not count toward students' Universities Admission Index scores.

But she said she had asked for a briefing from the Board of Studies on why the surfing class was approved.

"Part of the value of having board-endorsed courses is that you can put in place creative courses for students who have no intention of going on to university and it keeps them connected to school," she told reporters.

"I wouldn't want to lose that benefit but I've got some concerns about the value of surfing as a Higher School Certificate course."

An Education Department spokeswoman said 16 students are expected to take part in the course.

They will spend four hours a week learning how to manufacture and maintain surfing equipment and about weather and sea condition forecasting.

``It's not a course about spending your time all day in the surf,'' the spokeswoman said.

``In terms of surfing, they do it in their own time before school, not during school.''

Byron Bay was the ideal location for such a course because of its strong surfing industry, she said.

``This is a multimillion dollar industry in the area where the school is and the school put this together in respect to the fact that the surfing industry is a local employer,'' she said.

The owner of one of Byron Bay's leading surf shops, Bay Action, backed the new surfing course, saying it would benefit students in the area.

``I think it's probably a good thing and appeals to lots of the kids around here. They have some interest in (surfing). Maybe it's a good thing that keeps them going on until year 12 rather than dropping out in year ten,'' Gary Timperley said.

Learning about the surfing industry, including how to design boards and clothes as well as run surf shops, would give graduates a greater chance of securing a job, Mr Timperley said.

``For the business side of things that's going to be helpful (and) it's always good to have the base of knowing how to make surfboards. In the surfing industry you get more respect and it's easier if you are a surfer,'' he said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your opinion:
An education scam or an exciting new course? What's your opinion on the latest Board Endorsed course?

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

bloody waste of time, yeh as if surfing should be a subject it's so pointless

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I'd study it :D. I could think of worse ways for someone to spend their time.

I reckon it's a good thing if it's helping to keep people in school. 80% of what you learn in highschool is pointless anyway, how is this any different?

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i would do it.. it's like life skills.. instead of doin like photography or psychology that dont even count in year 11..

P

pLuvia

i reckon the worst subject would be to study aboriginal studies, haven't people learnt enough about them in history in year 7 - 10~??.. lol..
but what could you STUDY in surfing??? how to surf?? and basically combining it with business studies

lala2

Banned
HSC
If it provides the Year 12 graduates with even the remotest chance of job 'security', I think it's worth it beacuse the system is about providing Year 12'ers a springboard with which to move (ultimately) into a career, whether it be through TAFE, uni or otherwise.

As an Asian I obviously would never even consider incepting this as a course, but what's done is done and we'd have to see what the results are with this new class. And if nothing else, at least it's giving them a chance to 'enjoy' their final year of schooling, and they can walk out and say 'I did my HSC'--yes, regardless of how crap the marks are.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Italian Hotshot said:
Vocational courses are all well and good, but this is beyond a joke.
Lol, I agree :p surfing, as a HSC subject?? sorry to anybody who would want to do it, but it's a bit ridiculous imo.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
kadlil said:
bloody waste of time, yeh as if surfing should be a subject it's so pointless
SHUT UP! I HATE YOUR INAPPROPRIATE COMMENTS!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
This actually sounds like a good idea - if in moderation. There are many who don't desire a HSC for pre-tertiary reasons but rather as a vocational pathway, and anything that can be done to make the vocational HSC credible and applicable for as many different people as possible. It should also be noted there is a B Surf Studies, so obviously the Board are not the only people who think its worth it.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
From what I heard its not actually a course, rather just makes up 20% of the already existent Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation HSC course, ie. its sort of like a module. Does anyone know anything about that?

A l

HSC
N/A
From what I've heard, there is actually a written exam for it.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
wat about 2u gay
i'm surprised the usyd union isn't rallying for it in high schools

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Not that its the main topic of the discussion, but Aboriginal Studies is a more than valid course since it looks at aspects of society and history that are not covered by the other humanities - there's no need to rubbish it and by implication the people who *chose* it over courses.

And acmilan, from what I understand it is rather similar to how you do the Automotive course, you can have the Mechanical version or the Body Paint version almost like different majors of the same degree. I suppose the closest idea in the UAI HSC courses is EE1 or MusX where its built around the option that you do.

And for anyone interested in some of the other unusual courses that the HSC offers(there are hundreds) you might want to look at this: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/EN_SX_2004_12.htm
I think the wine on is quite cool myself;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)