Types of Compositions for Extension Music (1 Viewer)

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys,
I was wondering for those who do Composition for Extension Music, what style you'll be writing your composition in. Also any other helpful advice for these budding composers would be helpful too.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The topic for HSC composition is "Australian Music of the Last 25 Years", and your teachers are likely to tell you this basically gives you carte blanche over whatever you want to write, since some Australian composers Have explored many different traditions. But if you want the best marks, then your compositions will reflect the ideas explored by modern Australian composers such as Wesley-Smith, Boyd, Sculthorpe and Smetanin (the last especially for those planning to apply to the BMus (Comp.)).

I hate to sound like an advertisement, but the best teachers of composition are not your high school teachers, but composition students a few years out of the HSC themselves. We're a little more in touch with what's going on in the Australian music scene.

ohyay

but you can call me bob
HSC
But for extension composition you can write in whatever style you want can't you? I think I'm going to write my extension pieces in romantic style, because I'm playing lots of romantic period pieces right now, so I guess I know the style a little better, and I can draw on ideas from it. Plus I figure classical and baroque is less interpretive, and romantic is more of a subjective thing as to whether its good or not. Compared to classical and baroque anyway. So I figure I'm going to need all the help I can get! But I'll probably drop ext music anyway, I have way too many units.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Hah, extension music (composition) is the bludgiest unit in the entire music course. If I were you, I'd avoid pigeonholing yourself into a "style", and focus on doing something "new".

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
Does Greg Stenning work at your school by any chance?

ohyay

but you can call me bob
HSC
Erm not that I know of... Even though I do music I don't really know the teachers around, because I'm not in bands or anything. I just know my teachers and a couple of the conductors because I've heard about them and thats all...

kruspe

HSC
Nicci_15 said:
Does Greg Stenning work at your school by any chance?
Hey Nicci, Greg Stenning works at St Edmunds College in Canberra. How do you know him?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)