TYPES of Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
I want to know which two types are the best to use as a related text. Or, which two texts will allow me to maximize my marks.

At the moment, I am thinking of Picture Book and Novel. I know songs aren't a good choice due to the fact that they're related to poems, so it will be hard to distinguish your knowledge for various texts.

Thanks in advanced.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Theoretically, using any text type will allow you to maxmise your marks. However, things such as songs and cartoons put you at a slight disadvantage, because there's just not enough detail in (most) cartoons that will allow you to sustain 300 words. [That being said, it has been done before, and very well]. Songs are limited in that unless you analyse the musical composition (ie, staccato, crescendo and whatnot), you lost half the meaning. Poems are good, so long as there is enough textual detail in it - and your core text isn't a poem.

I used a film and a novel for my HSC in Belonging, and I hope to do fairly well. Picture books (so long as it is not Shaun Tan) are awesome as well. For Module C, I used another novel, and a television series.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
why...? is it mainly cos alot of people choose to do Shaun Tan?
A lot of people is an understatement. Thousands do Shaun Tan. I'm guessing about 10000 of the 65k that do Standard/Advanced.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Its message of belonging is also too blatant in my oppinion. Also, Shaun Tan is like EVERYWHERE. I've seen it in a few resources I've got so its probably not a great idea choosing it. Personally I went with a film and a poem. They worked okay throughout the year.

laila09

HSC
Quite simply it does not matter which text type you do as long as it is done well. You are always best to do a text that is considered to be sophisticated however is not done by many people. That is because if you get a question that is hard the slight flaws in your essay will not show as they will not have seen better essays as no one else has done this text. I strongly recommend a text that alot of people will not do and is not well known by the markers for eg. dont do shaun tan and dont do something like like looking for Alibrandi. The markers know alot about these while other people will also do this so you need to be really, really good as they may compare it to "the last one they read."
What is your prescribed text?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I did a Japanese animation series (AKA anime) and poem. Worked excellently for me but remember it's not about the texts themselves, but how you analyse them!

Theoretically, using any text type will allow you to maxmise your marks. However, things such as songs and cartoons put you at a slight disadvantage, because there's just not enough detail in (most) cartoons that will allow you to sustain 300 words. [That being said, it has been done before, and very well]. Songs are limited in that unless you analyse the musical composition (ie, staccato, crescendo and whatnot), you lost half the meaning. Poems are good, so long as there is enough textual detail in it - and your core text isn't a poem.

I used a film and a novel for my HSC in Belonging, and I hope to do fairly well. Picture books (so long as it is not Shaun Tan) are awesome as well. For Module C, I used another novel, and a television series.
+1

Its message of belonging is also too blatant in my oppinion. Also, Shaun Tan is like EVERYWHERE. I've seen it in a few resources I've got so its probably not a great idea choosing it. Personally I went with a film and a poem. They worked okay throughout the year.
Yeah, you can do Shaun Tan but you have to do it extremely well to make it stand out. I know the girl who is topping my English grad did Shaun Tan and she's a pro; very few people could pull it off like she did XD

Quite simply it does not matter which text type you do as long as it is done well. You are always best to do a text that is considered to be sophisticated however is not done by many people. That is because if you get a question that is hard the slight flaws in your essay will not show as they will not have seen better essays as no one else has done this text. I strongly recommend a text that alot of people will not do and is not well known by the markers for eg. dont do shaun tan and dont do something like like looking for Alibrandi. The markers know alot about these while other people will also do this so you need to be really, really good as they may compare it to "the last one they read."
What is your prescribed text?
I agree with the part in bold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)