UAC books (1 Viewer)

HSC
Lazarus said:
The cut-offs for 2005 won't be determined until all preferences have been locked in at the end of the year.
how does that work?..so these books are useless. ?

btw, gronow says hi. :D

korry

HSC
N/A
We're getting them sometime next week.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
They are not useless. They provide a lot of information to students as well as some forms that can be filled in if you can't register to UAC via the internet.

The 2005 cutoff cannot be released until all preferences has been locked in because simply, it will not work if everyone already knew the cutoffs.

e.g. to do commerce requires 96 UAI at UNSW. If everyone knew this and everyone who got 96+ UAI selected commerce, then there simply would not be enough spaces for every student.

How the cut-offs are determined is it is the UAI of the last student that was able to get in. (the lowest one).

HSC
Ragerunner said:
They are not useless. They provide a lot of information to students as well as some forms that can be filled in if you can't register to UAC via the internet.

The 2005 cutoff cannot be released until all preferences has been locked in because simply, it will not work if everyone already knew the cutoffs.

e.g. to do commerce requires 96 UAI at UNSW. If everyone knew this and everyone who got 96+ UAI selected commerce, then there simply would not be enough spaces for every student.

How the cut-offs are determined is it is the UAI of the last student that was able to get in. (the lowest one).
oh..so even though, say for example i got 96.0 UAI and i wanted to do bcom at unsw...it won't necessarily guarantee a spot for me?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Well if you got 96.0 UAI last year, then you would of gotten the spot.

Because no one knows how popular a course is going to be, even the universities don't know (unless their can see into the future), then getting a 96.0 UAI may not necessarily guarantee you a spot as the cut-off may rise or drop based on how many people selected Commerce in their preferences or whether they decide to cut down some spaces in the course.

It is only after the deadline for selecting preferences that the universities can release cut-offs because all the details have been locked and no one can change their preferences.

mishka

HSC
N/A
yeah I got mine at school yesterday!! it's pretty much what's on the website anyways. I think i'll be submitting by web - heaps easier!!!

HSC
Ragerunner said:
Well if you got 96.0 UAI last year, then you would of gotten the spot.

Because no one knows how popular a course is going to be, even the universities don't know (unless their can see into the future), then getting a 96.0 UAI may not necessarily guarantee you a spot as the cut-off may rise or drop based on how many people selected Commerce in their preferences or whether they decide to cut down some spaces in the course.

It is only after the deadline for selecting preferences that the universities can release cut-offs because all the details have been locked and no one can change their preferences.
righty then.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Lazarus said:
(Who's that freak in your avatar? :p)
Hmmms I wonder? lol...yeah I have the 2004 UAC book but I wanted to see what the 2005 ones were indicating...I know pretty much what I need to get...I just guess I need more motivation...so lazy ><

kpq_sniper017

Minai said:
the trends over the last few years have been steady..
2001: 94.5
2002: 94.5
2003: 95.5
2004: 96.0
2005: ?
i dunno if i'd really call that "steady"... +1.5 in 2 years. at that rate, i'll need 97.5 when i go to uni in 2006....doable, but definitely a harder slog to get there.

kpq_sniper017

Ragerunner said:
is that the uai of the last student who was able to get in last year, or is it based on the uais that 2004 students get this year? i.e. are the cut-offs only published after the 2004 hsc has been completed and all uais have been calculated?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The 2003 University cut-offs are decided by the 2002 student candidature.

The 2004 University cut-offs are decided by the 2003 student candidature.

It wouldn't really make sense if the 2004 cut-offs were decided by the 2002 students.

When I say decided I don't mean they decide the cut-offs themselves, rather what everyone selected as their preferences.

Last edited:

kpq_sniper017

Ragerunner said:
The 2003 University cut-offs are decided by the 2003 student candidature.

The 2004 University cut-offs are decided by the 2004 student candidature.

It wouldn't really make sense if the 2004 cut-offs were decided by the 2003 students.

When I say decided I don't mean they decide the cut-offs themselves, rather what everyone selected as their preferences.
so, uni cut-offs aren't published until the hsc has finished??
i.e. the cut-offs for 2004 hsc students won't be released until the 2004 hsc is over and marks and uais have been calculated?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Uni cut-offs are released when offers are made.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
i.e. the cut-offs for 2004 hsc students won't be released until the 2004 hsc is over and marks and uais have been calculated?
isnt it that the cut-offs are determined by how many people are applying for each course vs. how many places they have in the course
eg. a course that's got a small amt of people applying has a low cut-off (eg. 60 or sumting)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
alby said:
isnt it that the cut-offs are determined by how many people are applying for each course vs. how many places they have in the course
eg. a course that's got a small amt of people applying has a low cut-off (eg. 60 or sumting)
It's not exactly determined like that.

Say one course had only 50 places. And 20 people applied. There is still 30 places remaining. And because only a small amount of people have applied, they have not filled all the quota, thus more people are able to select the course. And those people might typically have a lower UAI.

I think that sounds a bit confusing. I'll explain it again later, lecture now!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
The cut-offs aren't published until all preferences have been locked in. Which is about the 6th of January to be considered for the Main Round.

kpq_sniper017

oh ok.
so when they publish the 2004 uac guide, they always have a list of courses and the required uais....are they actually the cut-offs from the previous year's candidature?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
They aren't required UAI's, they publish what the UAI cutoff was in the last 2 years. In the international fee paying section they occasionaly publish an expected UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)