UAC preferences (1 Viewer)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
hey!!

im a bit confused about offers with preferences and that. are you only given one offer? or are you given as many offers ass your uai allows on your preference list?

thanks!!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You can get up to 2 offers. The highest pref HECS course, and the highest pref Full feeing place course for which you qualify.

claudia_p

HSC
Yeah, you only get one HECS and one FEE offer. What happens if you get an offer in the main round and then they offer you something higher in the late round though? Do you get to choose between both, or do you automatically get the late round one?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
well this is wat i understood from reading the UAC book.....u have pref no. 1.....if u dont make the cut u immediately get considered for pref no.2.....if u make the cut u get sent a letter saying u made it and the rest of ur prefs are not considered.....if u dont make the cut u get considered for pref no.3 and so on until u finally get accepted into a course or u exhaust all ur pref and in that case u get considered for late rounds....did i get it right this time???

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
claudia_p said:
Yeah, you only get one HECS and one FEE offer. What happens if you get an offer in the main round and then they offer you something higher in the late round though? Do you get to choose between both, or do you automatically get the late round one?
u can withdraw from ur first offer and accept the second....or u can refuse the second and stay with the first.....

Lainee

HSC
natstar said:
If you accept ur main round offer, they will not give you another offer
Actually, that's not correct at all. You are always advised to accept your first offer - but you may still have a chance of getting another offer in a later round. For example, for you were offered your 3rd preference, you will be automatically considered for your 1st and 2nd preferences in the later rounds. This is despite the fact that you accepted your first offer.

Another example to clarify my point. If you receive an offer to your 1st preference on 19th January, and you decide that you would like to be considered for one of your other preferences in the later rounds, you would accept your 1st offer and then change your order of preferences. You have under January 24 to change your preferences for consideration in the Late Round. If in the late round you are offered a different course (because you changed your preferences after main round offers) you may discard your 1st offer and accept this other one.

I hope I explained this clearly enough.

persephone

HSC
when you say change your preferences around do you mean put your second as first and 3rd as second because you've already accepted your first preference? or does it still include your first preference?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
persephone said:
when you say change your preferences around do you mean put your second as first and 3rd as second because you've already accepted your first preference? or does it still include your first preference?

for example....if u dont get ur first pref in the main round but u get ur second...u keep the order the way it is and maybe ull get ur first pref in the late round....however if u get anything other than ur first prf u can always change the order to watever u want as ur first pref...u only get one offer its always the highest pref that u qualify for...

eg.....ur initial order is a,b,c

if u get b, u keep the order the same way and hope that u can get pref a in the second round

if u get c....u can change the order of a and b...so that b is ur first pref....wateva u want to get into u put as ur first pref........i have really confused myself now...:)

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
btw......if u get ur first pref in the main round...do u still go through to the final round..or is that round only for ppl who dont get their first pref...

Lainee

HSC
Say these are your preferences for Main Round offers:

1. B Combined Law - USyd
2. B Combined Law - UNSW
3. B Business - UTS

On Jan 19th you get an offer from USyd, but you then decide that you want to be considered for UNSW and then UTS in the later rounds. You are encouraged to accept your USyd offer still, but change your preferences to:

1. B Combined Law - UNSW
2. B Business - UTS

In the later rounds you may get an offer from UNSW or UTS. You can then refuse your original offer from USyd and accept the new offer. Or refuse the new offer and stick with your old one.

EDIT: :p What joujou said.

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
joujou_84 said:
btw......if u get ur first pref in the main round...do u still go through to the final round..or is that round only for ppl who dont get their first pref...

You will only be considered in the later rounds if you did not get your 1st preference in the main round, or you have changed your preferences after Jan 6th (the last day to change preferences for consideration in the main round) that made your main round offer no longer your 1st preference. Ie. So if you received an offer for your 1st preference in the main round and do not change your preferences for consideration in the later rounds, you will not get any more offers.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
okay, say if you didn't do that well in the hsc, and get below the cutoff point for most of your prefereces, what do you then do?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
okay, say if you didn't do that well in the hsc, and get below the cutoff point for most of your prefereces, what do you then do?

is it significantly below the cutoff points......i think u should still put ur preferences down in the order u want them...but maybe u should put something down that is less than ur UAI as prefs 8 and 9...just incase

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
joujou_84 said:
is it significantly below the cutoff points......i think u should still put ur preferences down in the order u want them...but maybe u should put something down that is less than ur UAI as prefs 8 and 9...just incase
what is your view as a significant amount? less than 5 or more than 10?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I put one opportunistic preference, seven reasonable preferences (within -2 of my uai) and then one for security.

justnothing

so basically u can get 2 offers, one fee paying and one HECS....

can this happen at the same time (i.e. both fee paying and HECS offered in the main round)?
if so:
-do these have to be for the same course and/or at the same university

say ur preference list is

1) law USYD
2) law NSW
3) Law USYD (fee)
4) law NSW (fee)

and ur uai is enough to get into law NSW (hecs), will u also be offered the highest fee course (law SYD)

so its possible to be offered, in the main round (cut off dependent), two courses one of both type?

Amryllis

HSC
You'd probably just get the one that your UAI is eligible for a HECS place. And it's not called HECS places anymore because the system has been changed. It's now called Commonwealth supported places. You can get the "Information for Commonwealth
supported students 2005" booklet from:

www.goingtouni.gov.au

Lainee

HSC
justnothing said:
so basically u can get 2 offers, one fee paying and one HECS....

can this happen at the same time (i.e. both fee paying and HECS offered in the main round)?
if so:
-do these have to be for the same course and/or at the same university

say ur preference list is

1) law USYD
2) law NSW
3) Law USYD (fee)
4) law NSW (fee)

and ur uai is enough to get into law NSW (hecs), will u also be offered the highest fee course (law SYD)

so its possible to be offered, in the main round (cut off dependent), two courses one of both type?
Yes, it is possible to be offered in the main round your highest HECS preference (still calling it HECS for the same reason people still call subjects '3U and 4U' - it's just easier) and your highest FEE preference. I advise you to check pgs 9-10 of your UAC Guide under 2.9 The Selection Process. I think it answers your question most comprehensively.

If you still have problems then, just ask again and I'll see if I can give examples or something. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)