UAI Advice (1 Viewer)

caramel1

HSC
Hey guys,
So just wondering, what are the chances of a high UAI (95+) if you screw up the first couple of assessments..?
My subjects are:
gen maths
eng adv
eng ext
bio
modern history
history ext

I've had an assessment in each but have put no effort in...I'd say about 60% on average...

Anyway a friend who finished the hsc 3 yrs ago told me if you screw up the first assessments you have no chance of getting a high uai. I was thinking that if this is true I may as well drop out now and repeat yr 12 unless you can offer me some sort of guidance.
Cheers big ears

Caramel xxxx

Tomaj

HSC
if you can recover you'll be fine, this depends on the percentage the assesments were worth. If you decide to recover I advice you to put your fucking brain in high gear, if you actually wana do well you have to work hard for each assesment (don't worry about other shit lol). otherwise you will also be fine if your classes are of a high calibre because they wont bring you down.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
nah not true i screwed up the first (few) assessment tasks and still got pretty close to 95 (.4 off)

7th Sign

HSC
gen maths scales pretty shit...you need a band 6 in that for sure and you probly will get 95

HSC
N/A
The key is to remember that your internal marks (which are eventually scaled for the "final" assessment mark, anyway) contribute about 50% of your total HSC aligned mark.

So even if your assessment is worth 20% (which is a lot)- let's pretend it's out of 15 - the average mark is about 12. You screw up, and get 8 instead.

8/15 x 20% divided by 1/2 = 0.053

whereas the "normal" mark may have been 12/15 x 20% divided by 1/2 = 0.08

OMG! It's a difference of 0.027!!! even if I fiddle with the numbers to make them look a bit flashier, we still only have 2.7/100 Yes, two point seven! Titchy-small! You can definately recoup your losses over the rest of the year :)

Don't worry so much :) Particularly not when kami comes here and completely ruins my theory...!

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
caramel1 said:
Hey guys,
So just wondering, what are the chances of a high UAI (95+) if you screw up the first couple of assessments..?
My subjects are:
gen maths
eng adv
eng ext
bio
modern history
history ext

I've had an assessment in each but have put no effort in...I'd say about 60% on average...

Anyway a friend who finished the hsc 3 yrs ago told me if you screw up the first assessments you have no chance of getting a high uai. I was thinking that if this is true I may as well drop out now and repeat yr 12 unless you can offer me some sort of guidance.
Cheers big ears

Caramel xxxx
Hi Caramel! The assessment marks themselves mean pretty much squat - I mean they are practice in the HSC but those actual marks you gain in assessments are only used to put you in ranks(or if you get sick your school sends them in as a replacement). These ranks are used in the HSC so that for your internal assessment mark you end up with what the person who performed at your rank in the HSC. This is then averaged with your own exam marks and thats where you get the total from.

Example:
Tom is 3rd out of 100 students in Advanced English
he recieves 92/100 for his exam and external mark, however he achieved the 5th highest exam mark in the actual HSC so as an internal assessment mark he will recieve the exam mark of the person who submitted the 3rd highest exam paper in that class which will be say 96. These two are then averaged and Tom recieves an overall mark of 94 in Advanced English.

This link explains it in more detail.:)

In short DON'T DROP OUT!

caramel1

HSC
Thanks a lot for the advice...
Congrats to everyone who have just finished
xxxxxx

nwatts

HSC
Ranks mean everything. Work hard on assessments which count for a lot, climb places among your peers. Throw your everything into the trials. If, come HSC time, your ranks still aren't brilliant you'll just need to keep busting in order to pull some smooth results.

I also recommend you get a tutor for the more difficult subjects, particularly things like EE1 and histx. These subjects often involve assessments which weigh a lot (often a creative portfolio in EE1, major work in histx).. this means you can easily climb into the high ranks over one assessment. Your tutor should ensure you get the high marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)