UAI Calculation ... (1 Viewer)

HSC
I did a search for "How is UAI Calculated?" but it wouldn't let me ... sorry if this is overdone/asked a million times but...

- Lets say I get 80 raw in all my subjects, and they all get aligned to 90, and I have 95 as my asessment mark ...
questions:
- is (80 + 95 / 2) my HSC mark, or (90 + 95 / 2) my HSC mark?
- is UAI calculated on my HSC overall mark? (ie. assessment/hsc mark)
- when putting lovely numbers into SAM, is that presumeably what we'd get for scaled or raw marks in the exam?, or is it presumebly HSC mark?

sorry i just thought all this time that HSC mark went to your UAI and I heard otherwise, im just trying to find out otherwise

please URL me if there's a thread explaining this

helper

HSC
N/A
Your assessment mark will be moderated against the schools exam marks.
The average of your raw and moderated assessment will be used.

The mark to put into SAM is the aligned mark based on the average of your exam and moderated mark given to you on your HSC certificate

HSC
i know how the assessment mark is moderated ... but something just went past me, the average of raw/moderated assessment mark is used for UAI?

helper

HSC
N/A
Yes The UAI is calculated from the average of your raw Exam mark and unaligned moderated assessment.

HSC
oh shit ...

so that would essentially mean if i annihilate my HSC exam, that wouldnt make up for a poor internal exam mark (lets say I did have one which I dont think I do :p)- like I heard stories if heaps of people goes well in your cohort, or if you go very well compared to internal mark, your mark gets 'scaled up more' (aside from the fact that you got a higher hsc exam mark to average it against)

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The thing with the UAI, is that it uses the raw HSC mark which is attained from the raw exam mark and the unaligned moderated assessment mark (as helper said). The average of the 2 gives the raw HSC mark. And this raw HSC mark is scaled and aggregated with all your subjects to rank you against other students, thus giving you your UAI.

It is hard to really say annhiliating the HSC exam makes up for poor internal performance. Naturally, a higher exam mark means the average will be higher than if you performed according to how you performed at school, but then, it will be pulling you back if you knew you could of done a lot better.

My advice would be not to worry. If you did bad at school, but you did really well in the HSC exam, you should feel proud that you were able to put in the effort and improve on yourself. Use that as a boost of self-esteem :)

HSC
thanks for the advice buddy :D helps clear things up I guess, in the end even when you figure out the system its "get higher marks" is the only way!

switchblade87

HSC
What happens if its the other way around? i.e, that you do well internally, but bugger up your HSC exams?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
What happens if its the other way around? i.e, that you do well internally, but bugger up your HSC exams?

Your higher ranks from the internal assessments will compensate to an extent your poorer HSC marks. Say you rank 6th internally, but stuff up and come 33rd in the exam. You will receive whatever mark was 6th in the exam, and then your own exam mark, which will be averaged together to calculate your UAI.

I_F

helper

HSC
N/A
Yes, you will be compensated by the assesment mark as insert-username said.

However, you will not receive the sixth exam mark. You will receive a moderated assessment mark but it is not pegged to a specific exam mark. That only occurs with first and at times last. It is a myth that is posted too often on this site.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
However, you will not receive the sixth exam mark. You will receive a moderated assessment mark but it is not pegged to a specific exam mark. That only occurs with first and at times last. It is a myth that is posted too often on this site.

Thanks for pointing that out. Remind me to shoot the BOSLO guy who came and spoke to our class and gave me that impression. :)

I_F

helper

HSC
N/A
It is commonly used to try and explain it but as the BOS document says, the first is pegged, the last they try to peg but the rest are adjusted statistically. Otherwise, the gaps in rankings would not be important and all that BOS would be after is a ranking, not a raw assessment mark.

It does work on small class sizes but not in most cases, so with classes of 3 or 5, that they commonly use in examples it seems that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)