UAI calculator alpha2 (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
JUAIseek application:

Pros

- I can now copy and paste my code (from the clipboard), loading subjects automatically.

Cons
- I cannot input any marks "properly". I am still able to enter marks via the Input fields, and the scale works to an extent (when I hit Enter, it will move/slide, as expected).
- Scaled marks cannot be seen, along with the percentile, aggregate, or UAI (at all).

A picture paints a thousand words:

:)

i know.... that happen if you have too many subjects
just resize the window

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
:rofl:

a 0 HSC mark may not get a scaled mark of 0.....
Any way, i did this cause i reckon the UAIseek estmate of 0 mark meant courses like Maths ext2 was scaled too harshly for low marks.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jm1234567890
i know.... that happen if you have too many subjects
just resize the window
D'oh @ resizing windows. I have to maximise it (well, not really) to be able to view everything 'properly' - in proportion, full sliding scale, input and output fields/boxes, etc.

Maximising the window completely will have the best view, naturally. Here's the smallest I could make it, without maximising completely (full screen).

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
I see Huy has been a big help.

I'd be interested in helping you write a stand alone Java application if you'd like.
nah, i don't need help right now.
A helper could become a hinderence since I haven't done much documentation. And most of it is on paper.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by theone123
hey one thing jm, this ver. lags a lot...
i got a athlon 1.1GHz with 450 megs of ram, if you got a system significantly lower than this, it might lag. But it should lag the same amount as the old version.

Could you please describe the lag.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
[JUAIseek code: ESFBFMBBFPFV]

Chemistry - 63
English Standard - 62
Mathematics - 78
Mathematics Extension 1 - 29
Modern History - 66
Physics - 51

Actual UAI: 70.15
Estimated UAI: 58.15

The marks for the last three courses fall below the 25th percentile. If you bring these marks up to the 25th percentile exactly (which should result in a higher estimated UAI than the actual), the estimated UAI is only increased to 59.55.

It's interesting to note that, whilst the following set of marks result in substantially the same scenario, the estimated UAI is much closer (whether or not you bring the marks up to the 25th percentile):

[JUAIseek code: EQFCFHERFL]

Biology - 66
English Advanced - 73
Geography - 72
Business Studies - 73
General Mathematics - 93

Actual UAI: 64.60
Estimated UAI: 63.55

The estimate is increased to 63.70 with marks floored at the 25th percentile.

I'll muck around with it a bit more and see what else I can come up with. I really like those sliders. Oh, can you change the tab order so that it's possible to simply tab down the column of marks as you enter them? Makes testing easier. :p

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
from cyph's marks list there was this guy

2 Business Studies 61 3
2 General Mathematics 65 3
2 English (Standard) 67 3
2 Senior Science 63 3
2 Legal Studies 69 3

UAI - 37.45
Aggregate = 180.3 (by my scaling)

this one seemd to be way out of wack with the others

I reckon this stuffed up the regression. If i had more data i could make a more accurate UAI estimator.

the aggregate from your marks was 252.9

from cyph's list there was this guy

2 Business Studies 70 4
2 English (standard) 65 3
2 General Mathematics 74 4
2 Information Processes and Technology 70 4
1 Studies of Reglion 1 36
2 Biology 64 3

UAI - 56.95
Aggregate = 228.4

so it appears the scaling for under 25p is quite strange....
i will look into it after i do the reverse

ps. next time include the JUAIseek code so i can input the subject more easily.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I don't think it has to do with scaling marks that fall below the 25th percentile - because the discrepancy is still quite large even when you bring the marks up to the 25th percentile.

With regard to estimating the minimum scaled mark, you might want to try the following equation:

min scaled mark = scaled mean - (2.76 * initial sd)

where

initial sd = (max scaled mark - scaled mean)/2.52

You can probably see that it's adapted from the procedure used to set the maximum scaled mark. The number 2.76 was calculated so that the minimum scaled mark for the combined english candidature would be 0.

I haven't looked at the effect it has on all courses, but it at least has a nice mathematical basis.

iH

Oldie
HSC
doesn't seem to be accurate to me

me and my friend were both estimated by our school (who have a specific department that does this all year and have known to be pretty accurate)...

person #1:

school estimate - 85 - 90
jUAI seek - 75

person #2:
school estimate - 90-95 (specifically closer to 92.5)
jUAI seek - 76.05

Huy

HSC
N/A
Where does your 'specific school department' get its information from?

The Board? UAC publications?

Your school's estimates have a large range of plus/minus five, whereas JUAIseek is pretty accurate, in my opinion. (I'm not saying you will get 75, but is your school giving everyone 90+?) :confused:

I don't know your school, or you, and I don't want to make any assumptions, but JUAIseek has been accurate in my opinion - but your school could be making accurate predictions too, we'll know in a few days. :)

iH

Oldie
HSC
i'd say they get it from UAC publications plus their own data of how internal marks have scaled against external in the history of the school.

nope - the school isn't giving 90+ to everyone.

i know people that have got the lower marks.

as far as the +-5 (not really that, it's a 5 mark range yes)...the reason they give that is because they try to tell us not to see it as a guarantee, the offer is open to get it exactly but most people don't want to know, because mine was specifically close to the mark i needed for top preference i asked (thus the 92.5).

92.5 to 76 seems a BIG jump if you ask me

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'm sure jm and of course, Lazarus have collected their own documents from the Board of Studies (publications, tables, lists) as well as UAC publications, documents, releases and the like. Although I can believe your school collecting internal assessment marks, and comparing them to the moderated assessment marks, this is only 'half' the story.

Your school, in giving you that 5-mark 'buffer' would be the same as JUAIseeker giving you the same buffer, although the range values depending on the marks entered and of course, scaling procedures. Nothing is ever guaranteed (or certain) for that matter, until the UAIs are released. In my opinion, this seeker would be more accurate than your schools predictions (not the UAI prediction itself, but the 'method used', if any).

92.5 to 76 is a big jump, there's no denying it. But have you played around with JUAIseek? Maybe spend about ten minutes on it to see how your marks would vary, if you had entered say, +3 to +5 more marks in a few subjects? Perhaps your school was a little generous in predicting your Moderated Assessment Mark, or had they used your raw Internal Assessment Mark? The school isn't even sure of your raw HSC Examination Mark - but they will receive the Moderated HSC Marks - scaling and the UAI is done by UAC, not the board - requiring raw HSC examination marks, to which your school would not have access to.

What I'm saying is, if you were to ask for a UAI prediction (in this section of the forum), providing your subjects, rankings and perhaps even your school (if applicable), there would be more accurate predictions given, other than "76" from one piece of software. :)

iH

Oldie
HSC
correc tme if i'm wrong but doesn't the school and the rank have something to do with it?

i got decent rankings (very good in some, average in others) and the school is pretty good (i think - i have a feeling it's in the top 120 or whatever) ...

dunno

Huy

HSC
N/A
@iH: something to do with what exactly?

UAI/HSC Marks - Technical Arcana
Discover the intricacies behind the art of scaling.
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=134

Does My Mark/rank At School Affect My Hsc Marks? Read!
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6176

How does scaling work? READ!
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6177

UAC - Report On Scaling For 2002 HSC RELEASED!
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9330

;)

iH

Oldie
HSC
how the marks are scaled....

like we send our school scaled marks but obviously they will be different from school to school.

so doesn't the performance of the school externally in comparison to your marks internally alter it

maybe they're compensating for harsh marking somewhat? i don't know

the whole scaling thing confuses me

Sam

Huy

HSC
N/A
Maybe this will help you, along with the threads, technical documents/resources and publications I have posted above. :)

We don't send our school any scaled marks, the Board does. The school contains your Internal Assessment Rank Order, as well as your Internal Assessment Mark, to be moderated into your Moderated Assessment Mark, preserving Rank Order. This is done so that schools from across the State can be 'on the same page' per se.

When you say school, do you mean students? Or student performance as a group, from the same school? Scaling occurs at the UAC, but Moderation is performed by the Board (BOS).

The Universities Admission Index A Technical Report
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/uai_tech_rep.pdf

Report on the Scaling of the 2002 NSW HSC
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2002.pdf

You and Your UAI - December 2003
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/uaibook_2003_web.pdf

:)

iH

Oldie
HSC
exactly my point

i'm taking the marks i enter (as most people probably are) from the scaled marks the school gave us.

these are going to be different for every school...ie if there are smarter kids at one school the top person might get 90% whereas relatively dumb person at another school might also get 90% (scaled) because they are better than the rest of the canditature.

thus the jUAI seeker cannot be accurate without the marks from thursday so all these people lining up their UAI's now will be completely off.

the difference between that prediction and my school's is that the school factors in how hard our assessments are generally in relation to how we've done in the past, if they know that we generally mark harder in a certain subject they can adjust accordingly

iH

Oldie
HSC
yeah but the thing is i go to a large (300 people in yr 12) private (selective whatever) school..

so thus (no offence to other schools intended) there are some really smart people in there)

for example, a friend of mine came top of his physics course at his school and got nearly full marks in his trials for physics, yet cringed when he saw our trial paper for physics...his scaled mark would probably be the same as our top person (in the high 90's) because he came first... yet because our assessments were harder we'll go better externally - thus our internal should be scaled up to reflect that

with the jUAI seeker at this point - everyone's marks will be completely different. 90% at one school is not 90% at another school so it can't be accurate

iH

Oldie
HSC
yeah exactly. you have to GUESS. thus why is everyone saying it's so accurate if they're guessing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)