UAI Cut-Offs: 75 up to 85 (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
its a bit unfair posting that up after final preferences have been made... but then i look down the bottom and it says 'Page last updated: 11 April 2007" /???

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
but then i look down the bottom and it says 'Page last updated: 11 April 2007" /???
They should actually update the course/program pages that say "75".

To to whomever it was that said it doesn't matter - are you freaking nuts? Did you miss the point completely or what?!

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
oh yes i was well aware. that was just my elitist nature creeping in.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
He's not complaining about the increase, but the fact that they didn't update the page.
"I don't care about the increase"
"It really shits me when they don't update pages"

Gee, I wonder which is more clear.

circusmind

HSC
Thank god for that. ANU should be an elitist institution.

Conspiración said:
http://info.anu.edu.au/studyat/student_administration/_missedout.asp?p=1

Really shits me when they don't update websites. Somebody probably slacked off and thought "ahh, all I need is 75!" - wait a go ANU, ruin his life.
Hard times. Anyone who assumes a cut-off will not change, or who deliberately aims low so they can do no work, doesn't deserve to get into uni.

Evilo

HSC
circusmind said:
Hard times. Anyone who assumes a cut-off will not change, or who deliberately aims low so they can do no work, doesn't deserve to get into uni.
I know a few people who got 75-80 and are going quite well, and in some cases are going way better than people who got UAI's of 95.

circusmind

HSC
Evilo said:
I know a few people who got 75-80 and are going quite well, and in some cases are going way better than people who got UAI's of 95.
For sure, I know people like that as well. All I'm saying is I have no sympathy for someone who bludges and then doesn't make the cut.

Evilo

HSC
circusmind said:
For sure, I know people like that as well. All I'm saying is I have no sympathy for someone who bludges and then doesn't make the cut.
oh agreed.

circusmind

HSC
And really...don't you think 75 is a bit low? I mean, yeah, I have mates who have gotten into ANU because of the 75 policy, but still.....

Evilo

HSC
keep in mind the UAI is based on supply and demand - so its not indicative of the quality of the university. Most people are just scared of moving out of syd/melb - hence low demand.

Also remember the standard hasnt changed, so if they dont maintain good marks - they're kicked out.

blacksunset

HSC
people arent just scared, people would generally rather move to sydney, melbourne or qld than canberra...
the scores are so low coz noone wants to go to canberra!

circusmind

HSC
blacksunset said:
people arent just scared, people would generally rather move to sydney, melbourne or qld than canberra...
the scores are so low coz noone wants to go to canberra!
It's funny because I know heaps of ANU students who chose to come to Canberra or stay in Canberra on the merits of ANU or Canberra itself. I think Canberran self-contempt tends to be pretty exaggerated.

The point is, Canberra is not a population hub the likes of Sydney/Melbourne and so that affects demand. Leaving your hometown is a big step, and a lot of Sydneysiders/Melbournians opt to stay put.

blacksunset

HSC
i came to canberra due to the prestigue of ANU, and other things.
the majority of kids in melbourne dont actually know what anu is, as melbourne is the prestigious option to them..

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
ehh... after 1.5 years at ANU (roughly) i learnt that it's not that cracked up to be. for undergraduate most universities would be the same, i.e. if i was in sydney i'd go to a local uni. $100 says my employer won't give a rat's ass what uni i attended (for G8 uni's anyway).

for postgraduate (masters/phd), thats where anu really shines. but for undergrads... ehh...

i've learnt that there are 3 types of undeergraduate anu students:

- internationals
- locals who have lived in canberra all their lives
- kids from rural towns who either don't score that highly so they can't do what they want in sydney/melbourne, so they take advantage of anu's relatively low cutoffs and the prestige is just a "two birds with one stone" thing.

i've yet to meet one 99.xx'er from sydney/melbourne who's here to a course that has a high cutoff.

Last edited:

blacksunset

HSC
iv got a friend at college who got 99.whatever and is doing the PHB in philosohy.. and hes from sydney

Krieg

HSC
It's just the way Australia is, there's no huge benefit or culture in terms of moving away from Uni. In the future as Uni's develop more there probably will be.

At the end of the day the uai cutoff doesn't matter a whole lot. If you tried your hardest and got 75 uai, you're probably going to do bad at ANU unless you know your good at like one particular area. If you bludged and got 75, you're going to have to work harder or do poorly. I'd say if you get below 85, you should probably be forced to enrol somewhere else and at least prove you can work hard and transfer a semester or year later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)