UAI needed for optometry (1 Viewer)

karentao77

HSC
what UAI would i need to get into optometry?
If i don't get the UAI i need, can i get into optometry another way other than doing yr 12 again?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
UAI i believe is around low 99
you could at unsw do b science major in vision science, then if you have good enough grades go straight to optometry, but if not then do post grad optometry

elfm

HSC
it's always hovering around the mid-high 98s to low 99s

karentao77

HSC
if i get in the 80s.. would i be able to study something to get into the optometry course?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
refer to my post above
science at unsw was around 75

HSC
but if you are competitive enough to transfer from science to optom you need at least 90 uai, otherwise youre screwed. i was gonna do optom, but decided commerce was for me.

elfm

HSC
theres a course at usyd called orthoptics that's around 80uai last time I checked... maybe give that a looksee

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
Hi, I was in the same situation as you. The high UAI (Usually around 99) really makes it difficult to get into Optometry straight away. However, now the School of Optometry has started a lateral transfer entry scheme for people who don't get the grades. You start off in Bachelor of Science (Vision Science), do UMAT, and get distinctions in some specified subjects and can apply to transfer straight into 2nd year optom. You do the same subjects as 1st year optoms in 1st year science (vision science).

This was how i got into optom this year (i'm in 2nd year now) but we were the first group to go through the lateral transfer (and the first group to do the 5 year degree) so there were only about 15 or so people who wanted to transfer into optom. This year I've heard that there are about 50 people wanting to transfer, but there are only 20-30 extra spots for people wanting to transfer into optom, so it could get very competitive this way.

If you don't make the transfer, you can always finish Bachelor of science (vision science) and try and do optom post grad somewhere.

Look at the School's website for the proper details www.optom.unsw.edu.au

hope this helps and good luck!

elfm

HSC
i'd assume you'd still need a fairly decent uai to start off with wouldn't u?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
B Scie/B Optom @ UNSW CSP = 98.75
B Scie/B Optom @ UNSW DFEE = 99.50

B Scie/B Optom @ UNSW CSP = 99.00
B Scie/B Optom @ UNSW DFEE = 98.6

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
elfm said:
i'd assume you'd still need a fairly decent uai to start off with wouldn't u?

yeah.. i think they say you would need a UAI over 90 to be competitive in the transfer

bigheadache99

Public Enemy Realist
HSC
N/A
Yes, do orthoptics if you can't get into Optometry. They're a health professional that does almost everything optometry can do except independently prescribing corrective lenses & S4 medication. That'll change very soon with the fierce lobbying by orthoptists with the backing of ophthalmologists. Soon, orthoptists will perform roles almost identical to optometrists. Furthermore, most orthoptists're employed by hospitals and doctors to do what optometrists typically do due to inter-professional politics.
Pay will be slightly lesser though.

Give it a look @
1. LaTrobe
2. USyd

It's a 3.5 year course with a much lower cut-off, without alot of unnecessary didactic math/physics nonsense, from what I'm told.

Last edited:

karentao77

HSC
where can i find the UAI cut-offs for orthoptics and optometry? they're hard to find, can't find them anywhere.

watthedam

Liberator
HSC
They also weigh up your UMAT. What now? two thirds UAI and one third UMAT. I got 99.05 UAI, but 48 Overall Score for UMAT. Is there a chance i could make it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)