Uai of 53.9 + stat test of 78 = uni at UWS for me? (1 Viewer)

carny

HSC
Hey I redid some subjects this yr.. maths and phys to pull my uai up abit (it was a mystery mark).. ended up with 53.9 this yr and i was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge about how likely I am to get into a course at uws which has a cutoff of 60? The stat test means I can do a course up to 10 points higher than my uai... so technically I should be able to I guess because 63.9 > 60.. but what's the chance of getting in? Do they put people who got a raw mark of 63 ahead of me for example?? I also heard UWS takes heaps of people?? I know my uai is high enough to do non-awards at macq but i'd rather not pay 5 grand upfront ;) So any advice/info would be appreciated :)

Ps. Anyone else in similar shoes??

Last edited:

mimiian

HSC
i know two friends of mine got into UTS engineering although their UAI was clearly below the official cut-off. they didn't even apply for EAS or any other special provision. one got around 10 UAI below the cut-off and the other was like 15.

the uni can't say they have lower their cut-off because this would make them seem shit, but with their unreasonably high UAI cut-off for a relatively unprestigious uni (compare to Usyd or UNSW), they just can't fill in enough ppl. So in the end they would just accept anyone into the uni while at the same time claiming they have a high cut-off.

i'm not sure if UWS dooes the same, but i am certain that UTS does it alot, especially in relatively unpopular courses. so yeah, i reckon u should give it a go. won't hurt.

btw, when i was in high school, UWS provided a sort of test that if you do it and perform well, u can enter into a course in UWS even if u are below the cut-off. i am not sure if they still have it.

yeah, hope it helps.

carny

HSC
Thanx mate.. yeh it's called stat test.. it's still around.. I recommend it because it gives people like me with shit uais a chance to goto uni at UWS.. not that UWS is that great but it isnt shit.. the worst thing about it is the location of its campuses.. eg engineering is at penrith.

chichi

HSC
Hey about the STAT/RET test... my uai was less than 10 points lower than the cut off for the course i want at UWS... if i got a higher UAI than STAT/RET result.. does that mean they will use my UAI and disregard STAT/RET ? or do i have a chance? please help, it's realli confusing ppl r tellin me diff stuff

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
carny said:
i was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge about how likely I am to get into a course at uws which has a cutoff of 60? The stat test means I can do a course up to 10 points higher than my uai... so technically I should be able to I guess because 63.9 > 60.. but what's the chance of getting in? Do they put people who got a raw mark of 63 ahead of me for example??
If you fulfill the criteria to get the RET rank to replace your UAI (which it seems like you do), then your RET rank will be considered just like a UAI of 63.90 - people who gained this UAI without the RET will not be considered to be above or below you. So your chances look good if the cut-off stays at 60.

Hey about the STAT/RET test... my uai was less than 10 points lower than the cut off for the course i want at UWS... if i got a higher UAI than STAT/RET result..
Unfortunately if your UAI is higher than the RET will not be considered.

chichi

HSC
can u believe i wulda been in uni if my uai was like point sumthin lower? lol arhhh my ret wont b considered:( now i need 2 find anotha way in

carny

HSC
Kami: thanks alot for the info :)
Chichi: I think you add your uai + stat together and divide by two and thats what you can go upto.. but seeing as your uai is higher that stat.. then I dont think stat would be used?? I could be wrong for all I know.. but it just wouldnt make sense to take your stat into consideration if your uai is higher than it. What course were you looking at?? What's the cutoff?

chichi

HSC
i want primary education- or arts at uws which is 70 and ten gets me in2 primary guarenteed...

carny

HSC
Chichi: UWS takes lots of people.. probally below the cutoff because lots dropout.. so you should get in :)

chichi

HSC
reallllllliiiiiii :D:D:DD:D:D omggs u dnt no how happy i am- thanks for the reassurance!! ..cuz it is almost 10 points below cut off!!!!! thats a lot lol, i also applied for Notre Dame.. the offers were sent out my friend got one on fri that sed she didnt get in.. i didnt get nethni but :S.. ur meant 2 get one regardless if u get accepted or not.. so hmm wat u rekon?

carny

HSC
Maby it got lost in the mail? Its christmas.. alot of mail is being sent around.. maby it was an admin error on their part.. I never knew about notredame uni.. im looking it up now :)

chichi

HSC
haha yeah its brand new opened in 2006 start of the year... www.nd.edu.au ... its heaps gudd espec. for education czu it has more prac hours n experience than ne other uni in NSW... this is prbli wishful thinking but maybe theyre still considerin my application.. haha.. il have 2 call n chek it out on wed when everythin opens again!!! i hoope i get in2 uws main round offers man.. if not, i hope i get in2 Notre dame.. main round or late round offerssssssss *fingers crossd* - seein as tho they look at more than UAI

chichi

HSC
umm they range from 72- 90s i think ...where is my letter :( every1 else got one ahhhh im so freaked out/confused/ anxious

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
When I contacted UWS a few weeks back they told me that the RET score is treated equally as a UAI for entry into a course...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
carny said:
what are the uais like for notredame??
The UAI's aren't easy for ND, however they look at your HSC results as opposed to your UAI (however, indicitative UAI is considered). For example, if you want to do Law they expect a Band 6 in English so you can still get in if you got a bad UAI due to being horrible at maths or something.

I think first round offer for ND should be really soon (posted on the 20th apparently)...if you're interested the closing date for applications for consideration in final round offers is 2nd february

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
carny said:
cool you going to UWS ari?
Possibly for B Laws/B Business (parra campus) - thats if ND offers fall through and i decide not to do B Medical Science at UNSW with the aim of gettin in to medicine...so im not sure atm...especially since im way over the cut off:p

Malla

HSC
The RET and STAT doesn't give you 10 extra UAI points. The way it works is, the RET score replaces your orginal UAI if you UAI is no more then 10 points less then you're RET score.
eg, RET: 70 .. UAI: 60.
Your UAI here is automatically pushed to 70 because it is within 10.
If you don't believe me, go to www.uws.edu.au and click on RET. It clearly says it.

How will my RET result be considered?
Students will be given a competitive rank based on their performance in the test that can work like a UAI in allocating offers to UWS. For this rank to be used students must:

achieve a UAI* of no more than 10 points below the 2006 published cut-off** for the UWS course to which they wish to be considered.***
list a UWS course/s as one of their preferences to UAC.
once students have satisfied the criteria, their RET score – if higher than their UAI* – will be used during the 2007 UAC offer rounds.
* IB students will be able to phone UWS to convert their IB Diploma to a rank equivalent to the UAI.

** Published UAI cut-offs are local Commonwealth Supported place based course cut-off's. In the case of new courses offered for the first time in 2007, UWS will nominate a cut-off for RET purposes.

*** Note: 10 points are NOT added to either the UAI* result or the RET score.

Last edited:

touma88

HSC
Yes most universities have vacancies they must fill up in most of their courses. I think it's the amount of different variety of university one can choose. Like come on almost all universities offer commerce or business degrees. I know a friend who got accepted into UOW with a uai in the 50s, and thought he was jibbed but it was relatively a low demand course.lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)