Physics 80% rank 2/12
Mathematics 65% rank 10/14
PDHPE 68% rank 6/33

these are trial results btw

wot do u reckon i would get...

treb0r

MCP007-treborial
HSC
What if i were to do pretty well in the HSC... would it still be 75-85 because 85 is my aim... i just want to know if it is possible at this stage?

aljoz

HSC
I reckon around high 70s or 80 UAI with those marks, if u do better in the HSC 85 is achievable =) Good luck

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
its still doable....just focus on maths, since it looks like its your weakest subject, rankwise.
your other subjects are consistent, so if you do well, then theres no reason why you cant get 85+

Tom2nv

HSC
hey why we are on the topic i wouldn't mind if you could predict mine also. My trial results are as follows:
General Maths 75% (3/40)
PDHPE 91% (1/33)
English Advanced 65% (9/20)
Biology 65% (2/18)
Chemistry 65% (4/11)
SOR 2 Unit 80% (5/13)

aljoz

HSC
Well i think if you can get those marks in the HSC exams, you'd be lookin at 80s UAI, im guessing 83ish. But yeah you should still aim to improve those marks :)

FromDeeEast

HSC
rofl... u cant just guess the uai. there is alot of factors that has to be taken into account to find what actual mark u can get, for starters theres the school. selective/private/public etc. then theres the gap between each rank. Performance of the school etc.

the best person to ask would be ur yr 12 cooridnator as they have some knowledge of how students went in the pass, and be able to compare last yrs students to this yrs

aljoz

HSC
Yeah of course i noe that LOL! Well for starters, Tom2nv didnt give any other data except his trial marks and his rank in the trials. His overall rank could be different. Plus he hasnt indicated whether he goes to a good school (ie. top 200 or so), so yeh, i could only predict wat sort of aligned marks he would get, then using SAM predict the UAI.

Yeah it would be better if he asks their school to estimate roughly wat UAI he could get.

treb0r

MCP007-treborial
HSC
That was his real ranks, our school isnt in top 200 soo yeh... but it wouldnt make too much of a difference will it?

bethrealistic

HSC
Just an inquiry, sorry if I sound stupid or if this has been discussed before/somewhere else...

I've worked out my school assessment marks by using that sheet they give you which tells you how much each task contributes toward your school assessment mark for each subject.
(I kinda fucked up in my trials so I wanted to get a better idea of where I'm headed.)

I think I have to enter ALIGNED marks in to SAM to get an accurate prediction, am I correct?

So my real question is, could someone either help me or explain how to estimate my aligned marks from my raw school assesment marks...?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
There's no formula that you can use to estimate aligned marks or anything. Aligned marks are equivalent to Bands - so 90-100 aligned is Band 6, 80-89 aligned is Band 5 and so on. So find the band descriptions - the things talking about what you need to do to end up in each band - on the Board website, and take a guess as to where you would fall. (You may also be able to find standards packages - which have examples of exam responses which fell exactly on the line between bands - which you could use to estimate your band as well.)

bethrealistic

HSC
Triangulum said:
There's no formula that you can use to estimate aligned marks or anything. Aligned marks are equivalent to Bands - so 90-100 aligned is Band 6, 80-89 aligned is Band 5 and so on. So find the band descriptions - the things talking about what you need to do to end up in each band - on the Board website, and take a guess as to where you would fall. (You may also be able to find standards packages - which have examples of exam responses which fell exactly on the line between bands - which you could use to estimate your band as well.)
Oh, ok. So I understand what aligned marks are, all good.

But then what is a number I can enter in to SAM to get a more accurate UAI prediction? Just my raw school assessment marks...?

bethrealistic

HSC
watatank said:
be generous with your raw marks. give yourself a couple of extra marks.
Why would I do that...? I don't expect to do any better in the actual HSC exams, or is it something to do with scaling?

Sorry for all the questions but I am rather clueless in this area.

HSC
bethrealistic said:
Why would I do that...? I don't expect to do any better in the actual HSC exams, or is it something to do with scaling?

Sorry for all the questions but I am rather clueless in this area.
Because in the hsc exam, you don't actually get your raw marks but you get aligned marks, where your performance is placed into bands as Triangulum was talking about earlier. How they actually do it, I have no idea but pretty much all the time its higher than your raw marks.

Scaling is a system to ensure that all subjects are marked on the same level, it helps calculate your uai.

Hope that helps :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)