uai prediction (1 Viewer)

carameltic

HSC
mervvyn said:
realistically, its the ranks that matter. When they say moderated, they use the ranks and the gaps between people (plus a few statistics things, it's a bit grey) to scale the set of hsc marks for a given school in a given subject. Thus, coming first in a subject after all internal marks are counted is a very good thing, because you automatically get the score of the top mark for your internal 50% of your HSC subject mark (your external 50% is based on the mark you get in the HSC exam and a difficulty scaling which is recalculated each year)..
Rank doesn't matter either.. if u just ace the HSC you can get better marks than ppl who are ranked above you...

I was second in my assessment for physics.. but I ended up coming first in the state whereas the actual first guy was down the list..
:)

latania

HSC
carameltic said:
Rank doesn't matter either.. if u just ace the HSC you can get better marks than ppl who are ranked above you...

I was second in my assessment for physics.. but I ended up coming first in the state whereas the actual first guy was down the list..
yeah that's the thing I was wondering about!! Because everyone says that it's the ranks that matter...and how like..say for maths you came 1st at school, so then at the HSC you get the top mark even if you don't actually get that mark??!!! STRANGE...does that actually happen?! otherwise some teachers and students are just mistaken!
I suppose ranks iin school just help with the actual scaling process?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
carameltic said:

thanks, you just inspired me to work harder eventhough my ranks are as planned :)

Melkor

its not that ranks are more important than the exam, because in the end they are given equal weighting. its just that ranks are more important than internal assessment marks, because it is the rank that decides whos exam mark you get as your assessment mark, and there may be a vast difference between how people in your school went in the common exam.

so you could get a fairly good assessment mark but get ranked poorly, and then your school might bomb the common exam, and you inherit someone elses crap mark. but you still keep your own exam mark and take the average of the two.

i think ;)

lil_lou88

im trying to get into medicine at unsw as a rural student, is there any way i could transfer from a undergraduate course into med if i dont get the required uai? which courses would i be able to transfer from?

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
lil: This is a quick reply cause i have to go to work soon, so PM if you need more info...

There's no 'transferring' so to speak into med these days. Our course shares no common courses with any other degrees (because of the way it is structured these days).

However, there are a few places available (through the normal entry process, where you apply, sit UMAT, go through interviews) for people who are already in a degree at uni. You have to have a UAI > 95 and a fairly high WAM from whatever degree you are doing at the moment. In my opinion it is MUCH easier to get a high UAI than a good WAM in another degree. It's difficult to get into med by starting another degree and then 'transferring'...

That didnt explain it well, but i have to go to work, PM me.

lil_lou88

hey thx for the info realli appreciate it. i heard that for rural entry, u need a minimum uai of 90 and there are 45 places. im a lil worried bout my uai as well as the umaT, PARTICULARLY SECTION 3 which is the puzzle solving part. do u where i could get some practice on this. i already have the sample question booklet but theres not many questions. thx again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)