UAI predictions- how accurate were we? (1 Viewer)

niteshade1312

HSC
The_Apprentice said:
I'm a bad judge of the whole scaling shit.
Well, I didn't let myself think of scaling the whole way through. I was told, especially by my practical subject teachers that if you do well in each assessment and the subject as a whole, you will still do well. And so that is the approach I took. Instead of choosing subjects for their "scaling" value, I chose subjects because I enjoyed them.

I think what the problem is, that schools and first time parents don't know much or little about the "scaling" process, and even though I just stated I didn't believe in the scalling process, despite doing Ad Eng (which is better than Stan), Mathematics, Ancient, Ext Hist (does "scale" if you do well), Drama and Dt, I still ended up doing well.

And yes, the UAI and the HSC does not test your intelligence, on the otherhand, I like to think that it tests "how well you play the game". Yet, I still congratualet those that did well.

elisabeth

HSC
I moved back to Aus at the start of year 11 and I was just told to pick a bunch of subjects, so I chose ones that sounded interesting. I had no clue what scaling was and it all worked out fine.

Yeah, the HSC is a game, you have to know how to work the system to your advantage (read: not abusing schemes like EAS, but knowing the importance of rankings instead of marks and playing your strengths). Getting a low UAI doesn't mean you're stupid, but a higher one does mean you've got smarts to master your subjects.

HSC
N/A
I like to think that it tests "how well you play the game"
so true. know what you need to study (syllabus is essential with most subjects), and try to determine and deliver what the marker wants to hear/see.
you have to know how to work the system to your advantage
Yeah, in some subjects you can take calculated risks. E.g., in ancient history I studied less than a third of the content cos I figured out what questions were likely (practically had) to come up...that payed off. As for knowing ya strengths... I chose subjects that I couldn't bring myself to say no to, even though I knew they scaled shit. I couldn't imagine not doing them.

So yeh... SAM seems pretty accurate this year.

a8o

HSC
The_Apprentice said:
Yeah, in some subjects you can take calculated risks. E.g., in ancient history I studied less than a third of the content cos I figured out what questions were likely (practically had) to come up...that payed off. As for knowing ya strengths... I chose subjects that I couldn't bring myself to say no to, even though I knew they scaled shit. I couldn't imagine not doing them.

So yeh... SAM seems pretty accurate this year.
Ditto, there was too much, but I don't call it a calculated risk - i was just lucky.

UAI prediction was 0.05 too high. 98.6, reality 98.55. I was devestated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)