Uai Question (1 Viewer)

4jess7lov

HSC
hello everyone! congrats on all ur great uais and achievments

does anyone know if unis inflate uais needed into prestigious courses to make them look even more prestigious?

i was speaking to my principal and he said that yes they do. i want to do law at unsw but only got 99.1

he said i should get in cause unis offer places for less then the cut off (which they make higher so the course looks good?) does this happen?

anyone think i have a chance for it (it was 99.3 or 99.25 last year forgot what exactly??)

does anyone know anything about this happening???

thanks everyone and well done

much love xox

N

nade_

4jess7lov said:

does anyone know if unis inflate uais needed into prestigious courses to make them look even more prestigious?

i was speaking to my principal and he said that yes they do. i want to do law at unsw but only got 99.1

he said i should get in cause unis offer places for less then the cut off (which they make higher so the course looks good?) does this happen?

anyone think i have a chance for it (it was 99.3 or 99.25 last year forgot what exactly??)

much love xox
May be you should check this
UAI & What it means
(or)
http://boredofstudies.org/newsletters/newsletter181208.html

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
4jess7lov said:

much love xox
The artificial cut-off inflation he is probably referring to is the HSC Plus scheme, where you get up to 5 bonus points. This makes it look like you need a higher UAI than you actually do.

This scheme doesn't apply to combined LLB programs, so the only way you can get in with a UAI lower than the published cut-off, as a local school-leaver, is if you've been granted extra points through EAS.

Perhaps try UWS? All law degrees are the same anyway.

pdoueihi

HSC
you will get in. dont worry.

my brother does Commerce/law at UNSW. you'll get in. especially because UNSW asia screwed up. when the uni is short on money, they accept more students in those higher up degrees which get them more revenue. My brother told me this because one of his law lecturers was saying it

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
4jess7lov said:
anyone else?
UNSW gone broke, so they need as much students as possible

though i dunno whether law applies to this
repeat the HSC if u dun get in

jenecis

HSC
No, I don't think so. UAI always reflects the demand of the course from the canditature (source: careers adviser). More people want to get in = more competition = higher UAI.

Plus UAI and Usyd DO offer flexible entry alternatives, e.g. bonus UAI scheme, transfers etc. So it can't be all prestige.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I dunno if the artificial inflated uais applies to law.

If worse comes to worse and you don't get in you can always transfer. I applied to comm/law at UNSW, and the day HSC results came out I got a letter from the law faculty about a new internal transfer policy that will be introduced in 2009. I have no idea what it is, but apperently it makes it easier to transfer within the uni. Plus, considering you have to do a combined degree to do undergrad law at UNSW, if you start doing your other course for the first year, and your full degree should still only be 5 years.

Anyway, good luck with getting in. I may see you there next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)