UAI: rankings, schools, internal marks. Help? (1 Viewer)

shaemitchell

HSC
ok a few questions.
1. Does the ranking of your school count in the uai. i dont go to a ranked school theres only 38 kids in my grade.
2.does internal mark or ranking count more.
3. ive been told they throw out your internal mark if theres a large disparity in comparison to your hsc is this true?
lik in business if i was to get first rank at the end of the year with an 80, my teacher sets ridiculously hard tests and marks even harder, but get a 92 in the hsc what would happen?
4.Ive been told that if the majority of your class go badly it can bring the first person down unless this person achieves a band 6 then they arent touched. is this true? e.g modern history im on 97 but the next highest average is 75.

Thanks in advance to any who attempt my questions. We asked them at school but our response was 'noone understands how the hsc is marked so i cant start to explain it to you'.

williamc

HSC
shaemitchell said:
ok a few questions.
1. Does the ranking of your school count in the uai. i dont go to a ranked school theres only 38 kids in my grade.
3. ive been told they throw out your internal mark if theres a large disparity in comparison to your hsc is this true?
lik in business if i was to get first rank at the end of the year with an 80, my teacher sets ridiculously hard tests and marks even harder, but get a 92 in the hsc what would happen?
4.Ive been told that if the majority of your class go badly it can bring the first person down unless this person achieves a band 6 then they arent touched. is this true? e.g modern history im on 97 but the next highest average is 75.

Thanks in advance to any who attempt my questions. We asked them at school but our response was 'noone understands how the hsc is marked so i cant start to explain it to you'.
1) No, although if you go to a selective school you can ride the scaling wagon. IF you don't go to a top 200 school you can still achieve a very high UAI just means you have to rank first, and own the hsc exams.
2) The rank and the gap between the ranks is what matters. The BOS moderates the assessments mark to accomadate for the harder/easier asssesmnets given by the school.
3) No, they take the average of both your moderated internal mark, and your algined exam mark. For your scenrio your internal mark would be 92 as woudl your exam mark given you a hsc mark for business studies of 92.
4) If you a ranked first and score very highly in the actualy hsc exam you won't be affected. Although, if you are ranked in the middle and your grade does bad as a whole your internal mark will be low.

ps. im no gun may be some errors.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
1) no, the ranking in your school doesnt count towards your UAI, its just that the top ranked schools are sooo competitive, they usually push each other, hence the crazy UAI they get from all the pressure and motivation they get

2) Ranks are more important than marks...they are used to determine your moderated assessment mark

shaemitchell

HSC
thanks for that. it helps alot both comments. im glad someone understands it!

menelaus

HSC
shaemitchell said:
ok a few questions.
1. your school has nothing to do with your uai, its more so the students that make up your year will affect your hsc marks, which in turn determines your uai.

2. you internal mark counts less than your hsc mark, becuase your exam mark will determine your assessment mark.

3. and 4. if u r ranked first, and u come first in the actual exam, you will most likely have your exam mark as your assessment mark as well, so your exam mark might be 97, your assessment mark will be hanged to 97 and your final hsc mark will be 97.
the way scaling or moderating of your assessment mark works is this:
on the whole, the marks your teacher sent in for you as a class are compared with those u get in the exam. if the total is the same, then u will all get the mark the teacher estimated.
e.g. your teacher estimates you will get 92, u get 93, so your assessment mark is 93.
but lets say your teacher is biased or marked harshly, and they sent in 82 as your mark. if on the whole, everyone else in the class was marked about 10 marks lower, then your assessment marks will be sacled up, probaby to somewhere in the high 80, maybe even int he 90s.

in the end, try not to worry about scaling of assessment marks, becuase u dont really have any control over scaling. what u should have in mind is the things that u can control:
a) try and get the best ranking u can get, as if u r first, then there is a greater chance u will keep your exam mark as your assessment mark.
b) try and do the best u can in the exam. no matter what youve done all year, the exam counts for a lot, and will help u change your assessment mark for the better.
c) above all, make sure that your class does better on the whole than your teacher estimated you would, and everyone will benefit.

also, remember that if u r a good student, your school will not limit your success. if u r meant to be the best in the state, but go to a public, non-selective school, u will still be the top in the state, provided u come first in the exam and are ranked first at your school.

helper

HSC
N/A
The gap in your assessment marks is whaat counts more than the raw marks. So as well as aiming for the highest rank as possible. If you are not going to obtain first, then aim for the smallest gap possible behind the people ahead of you and the largest possible above the people behind you.

x_babee-gurl_x

HSC
If a person has done bad in their assessment tasks and therefor their ranking is not that great but for arguments sake lets say they get the top mark in their hsc exam. Would that help them get a better UAI or because of their rank their mark goes to the person who comes first because thats what I got told? If that happens then what mark does the person get ? Im a bit confused with this whole concept they use in marking the HSC!:confused:

webby234

HSC
N/A
x_babee-gurl_x said:
If a person has done bad in their assessment tasks and therefor their ranking is not that great but for arguments sake lets say they get the top mark in their hsc exam. Would that help them get a better UAI or because of their rank their mark goes to the person who comes first because thats what I got told? If that happens then what mark does the person get ? Im a bit confused with this whole concept they use in marking the HSC!:confused:
The mark they get is the average of the Aligned HSC exam mark (which is reliant only on the mark they get in the exam) and the moderated assessment mark, which is dependent on a combination of their ranking in the school and the marks achieved by the school in the HSC exam. So their assessment mark will be low, exam mark will be high.

The student who came first in the rankings will get the top exam mark achieved by their school as their assessment mark and keep their own exam mark.

Hope that makes sense - if not read http://community.boredofstudies.org...na/6642/explanation-hsc-marks-moderating.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)