UAI relative (1 Viewer)

jimmayxd

HSC
Hello im new to the forum but now im in yr 11 im freaking on the HSC in 1 year
im planning to become an enginner but im not smart or great and was hoping on help. These are my subjects for the following 2 years

Standard english
General maths
Studies of religion
Biology
Physics
Ancient History

Have i done the right thing with my subjects?
and do i need to be mass smart to become a engineer and get a UAI of 85.00

Kujah

HSC
N/A
For high school, you should be doing subjects that you enjoy and have a keen interest in, rather than letting your future courses to dictate what you do. There are always bridging courses to assist you when you're starting university.

No, you don't need to be mass smart to get a UAI of 85.00, but you need to put in the hard work and effort in order to achieve it.

Don't stress right now, you're still in Year 11. Focus on what is happening at the moment, because who knows, you're future options might change in a year or two.

:)man(:utd:)

HSC
its best to do the subjects you enjoy and the ones you'll get good results in. different unis have different uai cutoffs, you can always consider university of western sydney.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hard work and effort will get you your UAI. If you put the hard yards in, you might even surprise yourself.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
watatank said:
if you want to be engineer you should at least be doing 2u (well 3u really) maths.
I agree .

HSC
In terms of subjects: physics (will assist you in eng in general), biology (if u're doing biomedical eng; will benefit you). general maths (unis tend to see 2U maths as the bare minimum assumed knowledge and even recommend 3U/4U maths) however when you get your handbook you will see that some unis will advise you about what you should do if you do not have the required maths knowledge (e.g. bridging course, take a smaller load of units so u can work more on your maths = longer time at uni so aka instead of 4 years it might take you 5 years, some unis like newcastle/macquarie will advise you to pick up an elementary unit of maths which will let you catch up on maths you missed out on in year 12).

I mean it's not surprising to see people who aren't the next john nash doing exceptionally well in engineering because they have a passion for it that they work their ass off. Uni is very different to highschool; if you do the work and try as hard as you can then it SHOULD pay off. if not then i guess it's a wake up call that perhaps it's not really your thing :)

HSC
sikhman said:
maths.....and chemistry or physics or both
it really depends on which kind of engineering you're doing - in seng (still an engineering course :) ) you don't need to do any units of chem or physics but you are always welcome to choose them as electives

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
you can get into anything with the right uai- you can take courses for the subjects you were 'supposed' to take at school.

also, why the fuck are you stressing. don't be stupid

emmae7896

HSC
Try not to stress too much about a particular course. Focus on getting a realistically high uai based your ability and level and the amount of time you are willing to devote to study for the hsc.

To be honest with you, I think you should give yourself some other non- engineering options. My boyfriend is 4th year Civil Engineering at Sydney Uni and he did Physics and Extension 2 maths and got top bands in those subjects (96.65 UAI) and he said he struggled with some University maths and other topics. He has failed one subject from 2nd year, making it now a 5 year course, which totally screws with his ability to get a summer internship at the end of this year. Some of his high school friends got uais in the high 70's and low 80's and are still repeating some 1st and 2nd year subjects for the 2nd or 3rd time!!

Whatever you decide, try not to base the difficulty of the course on the uai, since it also depends on the demand for the course and the suburb of the uni. A few years ago, Civil Eng at Syd was only 75 UAI and now it is in the 90's. Same course, different demand... Just as difficult.

Don't stress, but also keep in mind your circumstances after high school. Will you need to work? Do you want to move out with friends? Do you want a social life? Do you have financial support from your family for text books etc. Would you consider travelling away for uni?

Evan11

HSC
Aplus said:
I agree .
I dont. You need to do subjects that you will do well in, and those are the ones you enjoy. 2 unit and 3 unit maths is not required, there are no pre-requisites for engineering. You either take fundemental units or do a bridging course to pick up the assumed knowledge, and even this isnt mandatory, but it will help you to understand. Australia is desperate for engineers, i suggest you talk to "Musk". He posts in most engineering threads. You cant hope to guess your uai, so just work hard, in yr 11 do all of ur homework particularly maths and make sure you know your preliminary physics.

jimmayxd

HSC
ohh thanks yeah i know i should be doing 2 to 3 unit not general but like yeahh thanks for all the keen responses. Its helpedm e out abit.

dpospination

HSC
chem is not an essenctioal if u wanna go into engineering, basuce if u do engineering studis, all of the chemistry based stuff in engineering is covered there. but physics and at least 2 (if not 3) unit maths is advisable. if u put your mind and effort to it, u can achieve your goals

jimmayxd

HSC
thanks dposp
@sikhman i asked my teachers its not compulsory only if u wanna do something with med i guess.

jimmayxd

HSC
i see i do bio and physics but i remember when i tried to change my subjects the ydidnt want me doing 6 units of science cuz of all the homework. But i see thanks sikhman!

jimmayxd

HSC
yeahh i just gotta work so god damn hard in general >< to goto 2 unit .

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
jimmayxd said:
yeahh i just gotta work so god damn hard in general >< to goto 2 unit .
Im going to be blunt and say that you should be looking at other fields of study, if you cant at least get to the next level maths subject.

Im saying this because based on the percentage drop-out rates for engineering (including people who have done Ext1/Ext2 Math) in 1st and 2nd years, you would honestly struggle with being the exception to the rule.

The 3 unit/4 unit HSC subjects are not the top of the hill, in Engineering, they are only the very beginning.

jimmayxd

HSC
hmm 30 uai heh.. meh >.>
how can i look at other fields the subjects i have are mostly related to engineering and im moving to 2 unit woot..

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Kujah said:
For high school, you should be doing subjects that you enjoy and have a keen interest in, rather than letting your future courses to dictate what you do. There are always bridging courses to assist you when you're starting university.

No, you don't need to be mass smart to get a UAI of 85.00, but you need to put in the hard work and effort in order to achieve it.

Don't stress right now, you're still in Year 11. Focus on what is happening at the moment, because who knows, you're future options might change in a year or two.
Very well said!

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
jimmayxd said:
hmm 30 uai heh.. meh >.>
how can i look at other fields the subjects i have are mostly related to engineering and im moving to 2 unit woot..
Why do you want to be an engineer? Answer that question, and then people here might have some more suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)