Uai... (1 Viewer)

stressed02

OK this might be a stupid question ...
Say i put my assessment marks for Year 12 into Laz Seeker - does this mean that i am guaranteed a better mark for my UAI (because it will combine both assessment marks and HSC exam marks)?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by stressed02
OK this might be a stupid question ...
Say i put my assessment marks for Year 12 into Laz Seeker - does this mean that i am guaranteed a better mark for my UAI (because it will combine both assessment marks and HSC exam marks)?
no, half your mark comes from your assessment ... which means that for example you do 2 units of subject A, and you get an internal (assessment mark) of 80 this represents half of your mark ... and you can plug 80 into lazseeker ... you cant plug in 160 ... this post doesnt even make sense to me ... hope it makes sense to you stressed02

stressed02

Hmmm maybe i didn't explain this very well...
I meant that say i put my assessment marks in Laz Seeker, eg. 88 for Art, 86 for Ancient History etc.... and i get whatever UAI LazSeeker tells me... (i know this isn't how it is calculated)... but i'm saying say the UAI is 85... does this mean that my real UAI will be higher than that (if i have been consistent all year) - because "HSC exam marks are usually higher than assessment marks"?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Hmmm maybe i didn't explain this very well...
I meant that say i put my assessment marks in Laz Seeker, eg. 88 for Art, 86 for Ancient History etc.... and i get whatever UAI LazSeeker tells me... (i know this isn't how it is calculated)... but i'm saying say the UAI is 85... does this mean that my real UAI will be higher than that (if i have been consistent all year) - because "HSC exam marks are usually higher than assessment marks"?
depends the higher your marks such as 80+ your uai should be higher ... but if your marks are around 60-70 then expect something lower ... does this make sense ...

stressed02

Yes i think so, thanks....
But what if my subjects range from 79 to 91??!! It's so confusing!!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Yes i think so, thanks....
But what if my subjects range from 79 to 91??!! It's so confusing!!
im not sure with the new band system ... but if your raw marks are 79-91, then you should in my opinion (which could be completely wrong) get something like 85+ for your uai ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
yes ... very soon indeed ... in fact in eleven days to be exact and good luck stressed02 ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Aargghh that's so scary...
Thanks, and good luck to you as well. ;)
thanku ... at least im not waking up and thinkin of it as my first thoughts of the day ... but that will happen soon ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Erm...just to clarify some issues

HSC marks are almost definately higher than raw assessment marks, meaning if u put raw assessment marks in u'll prolly get an inaccurate representation of ur UAI

and the assessment mark u get isnt ur internal assessment mark, but a moderated assessment mark, based on how well ur cohort does in the external exams and distributed on a rank order system

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
HSC marks are almost definately higher than raw assessment marks, meaning if u put raw assessment marks in u'll prolly get an inaccurate representation of ur UAI
That's correct. Which ever way you look at it, I don't believe you can put in raw assessment marks and obtain an accurate UAI. This is because assessment marks are not compared against the same standard the BOS uses.

Hence, your estimated UAI will be way off. What you should consider is how you think you will perform in terms of percentiles with respect to the rest of the state for a particular course.

stressed02

Ok cool - i get you guys now, Thanks :)
Basically i just wanted to see if i put in raw assessment marks for each subject, would i get a higher real UAI than the one given. But i guess you can't really work it out like that...

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
ah i hate the uai, and trying to figure it out, its all so complex, i think i'll let uac do it

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tammer
ah i hate the uai, and trying to figure it out, its all so complex, i think i'll let uac do it
if youve just finished your hsc and you are gettin a uai ... you should have received a uai-faq-booklet-and-explaination-guide .. which should be quite useful ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Asquithian

i just wonder.... say my assessment mark say for ancient history is 97...and i am ranked 1st in my class...in a pretty average ability class...do u they do much to your internal assessment, when they redistribute the marks for the class, if your ranked in your class highly?

what im trying to ask is does your rank in the class have any bearing on the reculculation of your assessment mark?
Firstly, if ur ranked 1st - then u are immune to the moderation process..that is, the top exam mark from ur cohort (say the highest mark from ur school in ancient is 95), becomes ur moderated assessment mark, because ur ranked 1st, no one can get a higher assessment mark than u.

Ur rank itself doesnt have a bearing on the calculation process, however it determines the assessment mark u recieve, which depends on how well ur cohort does in the exams. If the average is very high (like at the top tier selectives), then even if ur ranked lowly, u should receive a mod. assess. mark that is fairly high

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

Firstly, if ur ranked 1st - then u are immune to the moderation process..that is, the top exam mark from ur cohort (say the highest mark from ur school in ancient is 95), becomes ur moderated assessment mark, because ur ranked 1st, no one can get a higher assessment mark than u.

Ur rank itself doesnt have a bearing on the calculation process, however it determines the assessment mark u recieve, which depends on how well ur cohort does in the exams. If the average is very high (like at the top tier selectives), then even if ur ranked lowly, u should receive a mod. assess. mark that is fairly high
Agreed, but you can still do very well even if you aren't ranked first in a course.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
whatabout if your class is generally low ability....but u still manged first with a high internal assessment mark...it isnt meant to compound on the moderated assessment mark right?

If you get ranked first no matter how crap your class is, you are immune to the results of your fellow colleagues.

What do you mean by the internal assessment mark compounding on the moderated assessment mark?

If you're ranked first, you receive the top moderated assessment mark. If the marks are relatively close between a person ranked 1st and a person ranked 4th, there won't be that much difference in terms of moderated assessment mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)