Ubuntu and why?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
It's simple.

Compare the success of Vista to the success of XP.
Listen to inidividual and commercial customers constantly bitching about the massive failure that Vista was.
Conclude that Microsoft has failed to make, what is perceived to be by regular windows users, an adequate operating system. When you consider the low standards these people hold, this is in itself an astonishment.

Their failure impacts directly on their profits and corporate image. Microsoft has made more business and people switch to linux and perhaps apple (more so in the case of the latter) than any amount of propaganda ever could.

Thanks Microsoft, keep up the good work.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yep, Microsoft are going to die, because all those people on XP didn't move to Vista, stayed on XP...yep, Microsoft, watch out you guys, these guys who made XP have got you covered.

Given that they're not as dominant as before, which is a good thing, saying that its their death knell is a laughable proposition.

Anyone remember the ME ?

Last edited:
HSC
The problem with staying on XP is that Microsoft keeps threatening to cut off updates.

This may be fine for a little while, after they do, but given people buy new computers now and again, they need to reinstall XP, and without updates, it won't take 5 seconds until you're utterly screwed.

If Microsoft ends up "supporting" XP until Windows 7, their success will depend on the ability of their newer product to not suck. I am not holding my breath.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Starcraftmazter said:
The problem with staying on XP is that Microsoft keeps threatening to cut off updates.

This may be fine for a little while, after they do, but given people buy new computers now and again, they need to reinstall XP, and without updates, it won't take 5 seconds until you're utterly screwed.

If Microsoft ends up "supporting" XP until Windows 7, their success will depend on the ability of their newer product to not suck. I am not holding my breath.
It's already addressed most of the issues people had with Vista, and runs on a netbook. Can't see it being any worse than Vista.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Also people tend to forget how absolutely horrific XP was without all its updates. Seriously get your original XP disk and install and run it without installing any updates... then move to SP1. Even with SP1 (which is what Vista is on now) XP was awful!

HSC
AsyLum said:
It's already addressed most of the issues people had with Vista, and runs on a netbook. Can't see it being any worse than Vista.
One of the issues is that windows 7 plans to be compatible with things designed for vista, yet one of the main reasons why people dislike vista is the lack of adequate support for it in software and hardware, so this chains to windows 7.

If it does not use up drastically less system resources it will be disliked as well.

And it seems to me, that Microsoft wants to create new privacy issues with windows 7, which will surely cause problems.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
what will happen with vista imo opinion is it will be skipped by the majority of people altogether and they will just swap to windows 7

although there is really nothing wrong with vista

HSC
That is true, providing Windows 7 will be "good".

As for nothing being wrong with Vista...well I used it on a friends computer, took one look at the resource usage, and shat bricks. There is most definately something wrong with it.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
i think it will be, with the high quality of the current build they distributed at PDC, i think that it will be good.

tbh i do not see an issue with vista minus the fact that it hogs memory, but that is something minor which can be fixed by adding ram

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
well vista is a decent operating system, but like above, I was crying at the RAM usage when nothing was running. Ubuntu only take 300MB min with Compiz running.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
using 8.10
its stable cos of the memory management
security in obscurity cos noone can be bothered with making a virus that would.. affect lik 1-2%

still.. phishing and other scams are user dependent..

quite like it.. windows xp SP3 is still very good... i use virtualisation and its adequate for 'normal work'....

if you cant be arsed with using terminal for the setup and after some update breaks your customisation.. then .. dont use linux

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)