Ubuntu feisty server apt repositories / ideas for email system? (1 Viewer)

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Ok, so I lost my sanity and built a server over the weekend for my 'recreation'. I'm just a little...annoyed at how certain common packages don't exist in the Fiesty repository (I'm running Server/CLI).

Things like phpMyAdmin and Squirrelmail...had to the Ubuntu package site and download manually.

In fact, Ubuntu doesn't even have G++ installed by default!

I've already enabled most (if not all) of the repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list

</bitch>

Anyway, seeing as there seems to be a bit of linux expertise around here (I'm just getting my claws into it now...been familiar with working around the shell but getting into server setups now).

I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to setting up a mail server on any platform, but I wante to set up a push mail server on my 'nix. I know that postfix is an 'MTA' and deals with outgoing and dovecot is some kind of general mail server and fetchmail just collects email? Do correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am). The idea I have in mind is to set up fetchmail to grab mail, postfix to deal with outgoing mail and dovecot/courier to handle mail generally but I have no idea how these interact with each other.

Anyone have any ideas?

I also need to edit MX records, I believe. I have no idea how they work (I'm using ZoneEdit (externally) and Windows Server (internally - on the domain controller as, because I'm behind a router, the external IP refers to the router rather than the local IP so a improvised solution was to overload the DNS records) rather than bind).

Last edited:

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
oh noes...WHINGEpool?

haha. it's alright...was seeing what input you guys had on the topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)