• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ubuntu Linux 5.04 (1 Viewer)

Immolate

Elvish Warrior!
HSC
I just installed Ubuntu Linux and must say, I'm impressed.

The installation was a pain free simple process.

This distro is much more user friendly than most others floating around.

For those of you who are wanting to check out linux and don't know which distro to start on, I recomment Ubuntu; www.ubuntulinux.org

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
yea i got it on my other comp, good for people who are just starting to use linux

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
I must admit, I've gone through a couple of distros to find one im happy to work/learn linux with....

First Red Hat, whch froze whenever i tried to log in

Then some other random one.

another stab at red hat, got it working but was totally lost on how to use it (this is going back to 98, maybe earlier)

Then mandrake, which wouldn't install..

another attempt at mandrake with a newer version, same problem.

last stab with mandrake after reading the internet helpdesk about the problem, success!!!! however mouse didn't work, and keyboar shortcuts could not take me to the next step to configure the mouse.

But now finally, after many years of hassells, SuSE 9.2 was installed and everything working fine.

Spose persistance got me there and i can now get my hands dirty on the linux environment, im happy, but theres alot ive still got to understand about using linux.

I have no idea how to install any programs, if only there wasn't so many different extensions i'd be happy, i mean blah.tar.src.bz2.yadda-yadda-yadda, makes a newbie like me cry

HotShot

-_-
HSC
i thinking of using linux, can you tell me the benefits? like wats is advantages. and also general process of installation and compatability.

sunny

meh.
HSC
HotShot said:
i thinking of using linux, can you tell me the benefits? like wats is advantages. and also general process of installation and compatability.
In terms of benefits, you probably won't see much if you are the average home user. Many will say the stability it has over Windows - but then again if you are the average home user, your computer hardly gets unstable at you. If it does because there are so many things installed, thats probably your own fault, not Windows'.

But otherwise its a much more secure operating system in terms of network security etc, and offers a much richer development environment. I use both Redhat 9 and WinXP depending on what I'm doing...will be upgrading to Fedora 4 soon since Redhat its getting hard to even get updates for Redhat.

You can always try Linux out with CD bootable distributions like Knoppix - where it runs off the bootable CD and makes no changes to your hard disk.

As for installation and compatibility - thats hardly an issue nowdays with common hardware and chipsets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)