uh-oh :( :( (1 Viewer)

aaa666

iverson
HSC
hi

i've applied for a position with a 'major investment bank' and now they are doing reference checking. does that mean im selected? also, my reference is not really good - do they grill the referees??

info on my selection to help others: they mostly ask why you are in the field, they want to see if you can hold a convo, the decision was more or less based on my marks. pm if u want the questions i was asked (its all stock questions though...).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
what were your marks like? (not that i'm interested in investment banking, but this is a common topic of discussion re: investment banking in this forum)

Rorix

HSC
I've seen transcripts of quite a few ib interns. I've seen as low as about 76-77 BCom WAM

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh, wow, so it's not really the HD average that is quite often cited on this forum

Rorix

HSC
Nope..although the majority would be 80+. But finance subjects are imo a bit easier than accounting (dunno about other majors), at least at USYD.

Being social in the interview is probably the most underrated aspect of applying imo...the sort of social (i.e. bsing about weather etc.) you'd develop working with a lot of customer interaction like waitering.

If one had D WAM, decent extra curricular, had a job, and could be social one should get an offer somewhere imo.

This all goes for IBD, not sure about other sections of the bank.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I thought that at USYD, most subjects would have around 65 for their average. USYD actually has restrictions on the % of students who can get fails, passes, credits, etc., although they're not often followed, especially when the lecturer is a 'big wig'.

For marketing, I know from past experience, that the average has been about 65. Which is surprising, as marketing is perceived to be a very easy major. Perhaps people simply don't try as hard as they would for, say, finance, which allows people who want to do well, to do well with less effort. Then again, I've taken two subjects where only 1/150 people got an HD, and another where 2/200 got an HD. Then I took another one taught by the same lecturer as the former subject where he gave 7/250 people HDs.

In summary, if you want easy Ds do marketing to boost your WAM :p You'll also develop good social skills for your presentations.

aaa666

iverson
HSC
rogrix i don't know what ur on about with finance being easier than accounting at usyd - every1 i know (which is practically 50% of the grade through friends, friends of friends, etc) says the opposite (including me and I have a 89 average in accounting lol).

rogrix is right on the lower wams of IBD SOMETIMES. generally, it just makes life easier with higher marks.

stazi i'm not actually in the IB division - im in their accounting division (hopefully move on to IB division next year via internal transfer :D :D). i know people (actually know - not just friend of friend) who get into IB with mid-high 75 wams.

but from my experience, marks help so much. my interviews weren't very good but my marks were killer (82 wam, HD average accounting) - so I practically got through once they knew i could hold a conversation.

stazi - i read that they didnt offer u a trip to sydney even though u got final round. how weird eh! quite unprofessional...

Rorix

HSC
stazi said:
I thought that at USYD, most subjects would have around 65 for their average. USYD actually has restrictions on the % of students who can get fails, passes, credits, etc., although they're not often followed, especially when the lecturer is a 'big wig'.
Could hold for finance too; many people do accounting/finance major (fobs etc.) but intend to work in accounting...for the people that are actually wanting to work in finance, they all seem to be getting pretty good marks, could be a case of the others making up the %age quotas

Dunno about aaa666, but the people I know that do acct/finc (I don't do acct, just straight finc) all say accounting marks harder

stazi

Nightman
HSC
aaa666 said:
rogrix i don't know what ur on about with finance being easier than accounting at usyd - every1 i know (which is practically 50% of the grade through friends, friends of friends, etc) says the opposite (including me and I have a 89 average in accounting lol).

rogrix is right on the lower wams of IBD SOMETIMES. generally, it just makes life easier with higher marks.

stazi i'm not actually in the IB division - im in their accounting division (hopefully move on to IB division next year via internal transfer :D :D). i know people (actually know - not just friend of friend) who get into IB with mid-high 75 wams.

but from my experience, marks help so much. my interviews weren't very good but my marks were killer (82 wam, HD average accounting) - so I practically got through once they knew i could hold a conversation.

stazi - i read that they didnt offer u a trip to sydney even though u got final round. how weird eh! quite unprofessional...
that was shell for a marketing internship, though -:p and it was a trip to melbourne.

lizbon

HSC
LOL, i know people who've gotten in IB with credit WAM, it happens. But certainly the European and American banks prefer higher marks.

Internal transfers are rare......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)