UK: Is religion on the way out? (2 Viewers)

yy

HSC
N/A
this is my theory and is not based on evidences at all.
i think part of the reason why america is more religious is because it has a wider gap between the rich and poor. the rich likes chrisianty for its conservative values and social control purposes, while for the poor and uneducated, it's more about fear, like they have pat robertson who likes witchhunt.
also, people there seems more like under a trance from the media. (this may very well be a sterotype) they believe in everything the media has portrayed and don't like to seek an alternative view.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Sonic said:
who does seriously!!! does anyone here follow the COE??? i'd like to know why...
If I were religious I would rather be protestant (which I am, by birth) than a catholic (although I know that the COE keeps in line with traditional catholicism moreso than other protestant denominations).

davin

HSC
N/A
In the US, would you say that God is used often as representing what's good or right, especially to children? From what I know, I think that religion, Christianity in particular, gets embedded in American children right from birth, with God used as a powerful symbol to help keep them in line.
In no way is that the case, at least on a societal basis. Neither American culture nor gov't uses God as some sort of tool to keep people in line.

Many people will list themselves as religious, even if they're not, and even beyond that, the percentage considering themselves Christian dropped from 88% in 1990 to 80% in 2001.
Further, about a fourth of that is Catholic.
Demographics_of_the_United_States#Religious_Affiliation

If you bring crime into it, consider also that much of the crime is in urban areas, where you have social issues at work, and also areas where there's racial tension. For example, southern california, has had several instances of racial clashes, such as in the urban areas that are usually mixes of hispanic and black communities. You can't accurately group religion in those areas with religion as it is viewed in rural northeastern portions of the United States, which would be most similar to the pilgrims that founded the country.
Its areas that are heavily diverse that are witness to the most crime, and when you consider that a state like California, which has numerous issues with crime, has a population with no racial majority, whatsoever.

The Afro Carribean community in the UK is also a lot more integrated than African Americans, you'll find.
There is a good point in that, as presently, race relations in the U.S. are pushing much more for recognising different racial groups as seperate rather than pushing for being just treated equally, as was the case 30 or 40 years ago. Spokespeople for the African American community now, too often, are creating a racial divide to further their own goals. Hense why African-American is referred to as such even though many whites referred to as just American have been here for far fewer generations than the African-American community.

As for back to the original topic though, because of the multitude of religions present in the U.S., its hardly as though there is a single monolithic church that everyone belongs to, and while faith is common, it hasn't become simply some institution created by or ran to the benefit of the american gov't. Its just that the faith is considered a part of the historical significance of the U.S., due to the religious origins of the United States.

jesusfreek

We are confined to the realms of our mind. If we a
HSC
religion isn't on the way out; jst the traditional ones cos the traditions have overtaken and smothered out the real thing- religion is supposed to be about a relationship with god, most churches barely acknowledge God as a being involved in everyday life. Seems to be all about living life right but God doesn't say u have to follow a eap of rules just to love Him and if u love Him you'll follow Him. If this isn't what's being presented in churches they're not doing their job (connecting people with God) and no wonder numbers decline. btw it's interesting that modern pentecostal churches are huge in the U.S and not in the U.K is there a connection there???

ltasey

HSC
Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm not sure why the US a high level of Fundies. Maybe we haven't been through all that Europe has been through. For example, I'm thinking of the Enlightenment, the rise of biblical criticism, two world wars, etc. Europe has seen a lot that the States hasn't. Yes, there are other factors involved, but Europe has taken powerful blows, ones that States haven't felt as much.

This is interesting, as many of the UK's big-time theologians are liberal/progressives, which means they've thrown out miracles but continue to call themselves Christians. This crop of theologians exist in the States, but the Fundies pretty much rule. Look at the November elections.

I'm sort of an athesit myself. I went to divinity school in Boston, ran into some problems with God, and then had to bail. I'm still on the journey--whether or not I ever believe again is up in the air--but it's exciting and I don't regret anything. I don't do academic theology or philosphy anymore; instead, I write fiction--that's the way I make sense of things (my first published book is the beginning of a long, long journey).

I'll also check out the article that somebody posted.

Thanks,

ltasey

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
jesusfreek said:
religion isn't on the way out; jst the traditional ones cos the traditions have overtaken and smothered out the real thing- religion is supposed to be about a relationship with god, most churches barely acknowledge God as a being involved in everyday life. Seems to be all about living life right but God doesn't say u have to follow a eap of rules just to love Him and if u love Him you'll follow Him. If this isn't what's being presented in churches they're not doing their job (connecting people with God) and no wonder numbers decline. btw it's interesting that modern pentecostal churches are huge in the U.S and not in the U.K is there a connection there???
You just said a whole bunch of BS about God based in nothing but your own idealisms....

Awesome.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
well the uk christian numbers are dropping for another reason as well, because it has colonial power it has enabled the british into a wider scope experiencing a new world. whilst the americans, they believe america is the world, nothing exists beyond it. (they had no clue where iraq was)?

on the point, the poms were educated about other religions, their values and cultures. like hinduism and buddhism. As a result it more the christanity seems boring and old.

it has also allowed immigrants from wide backgrounds, pakistan india south africa, to be mixed and naturally as a result the government would have to accomodate them.

this accomodation was a result of their empire, that dissolved eventually. but had still trade links, and it was necessary for them introduce thise laws mentioned in NTB's article.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
well the uk christian numbers are dropping for another reason as well, because it has colonial power it has enabled the british into a wider scope experiencing a new world. whilst the americans, they believe america is the world, nothing exists beyond it. (they had no clue where iraq was)?
on the point, the poms were educated about other religions, their values and cultures. like hinduism and buddhism. As a result it more the christanity seems boring and old.
it has also allowed immigrants from wide backgrounds, pakistan india south africa, to be mixed and naturally as a result the government would have to accomodate them.
this accomodation was a result of their empire, that dissolved eventually. but had still trade links, and it was necessary for them introduce thise laws mentioned in NTB's article.
at least one of the polls that talked about not being able to identify iraq also said that geography scores for canada and the uk were almost as bad.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/highlights.html
it also really doesn't break down the scores for any other country terribly much.

i'm also rather curious about your attitude that somehow america is a single monolithic group, ignoring that it has significant numbers of immigrants, though percentage-wise still not as high as australia. that there are issues with the educational system in some regards, how does that equal americans thinking nothing exists beyond it? you're trying to imply a lot of arrogance there based off of one question, and that is also that the u.s. has never had that colonial benefit because unlike europe, the u.s. has never tried to establish colonies elsewhere in the world.

stainmepink

HSC
ltasey said:
I'm from the States and was wondering why church attendance is so high in the US but on the wane in the UK. What's going on in the UK that makes people indifferent or not attracted to Christianity?

The States and UK are similar in many ways (modern industrialized countries with good education systems), yet the appetite for religion is stronger in America.

Why is this?

ltasey

Whatever the reason i'm more than happy to see religion finally on its way out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)