UK med entry vs NSW (1 Viewer)

Octavius

HSC
Is it harder to get into med school in NSW for a uni such as USYD or UNSW or is it harder to get into med for a uni like Cambridge? I know that "dah, Cambridge is better no shit," but the ucat requirements are lower and the a levels seem to be multiple choice.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I am aware, the University of Cambridge does not consider the UCAT for admission to its School of Clinical Medicine. Instead, all Standard Course applicants are required to sit the Biomedical Admission Test (BMAT). In terms of academic requirements at year 12 level, typical offers for applicants whose ATAR is considered would be based on a rank of 98.5 - 99.5, alongside documentation of similar performance (in the case of NSW, favourable HSC marks, most likely within the band 6/E4 range) in relevant subjects (in the case of medicine, these can include Biology and Chemistry). Here, one can notice a few differences with NSW universities such as UNSW and USyd. For example, UoC does not only seek a favourable final result (such as a high ATAR). It also requires evidence of favourable performance in individual subjects relevant to the degree, as opposed to UNSW, which emphasises assumed knowledge. While USyd does have prerequisites, those only apply to mathematics subjects, being a band 4 in Mathematics Advanced, band E3 in Mathematics Extension 1 or band E3 in Mathematics Extension 2. UoC's individual subject requirements extend to all relevant subjects in addition to mathematics while imposing a higher standard compared to that of USyd.

Additionally, while UoC does not require applicants to undertake relevant work experience, the university strongly advises applicants to undertake relevant work experience (either paid or unpaid/voluntary) in a health or social care organisation in order for applicants to gain an understanding of what a career in medicine entails. This is not something that is emphasised by NSW universities that offer a Doctor of Medicine program.

Lastly, a similarity between the aforementioned universities in terms of their respective medicine programs is the need to attend an interview. Overall, given all of this information, it seems that entry to UoC's Standard Course is more difficult/demanding than USyd and UNSW's Doctor of Medicine programs. The following links also provide some useful information for you to have a look at if you wish:

I hope this helps! :D

Epicman69

HSC
Is it harder to get into med school in NSW for a uni such as USYD or UNSW or is it harder to get into med for a uni like Cambridge? I know that "dah, Cambridge is better no shit," but the ucat requirements are lower and the a levels seem to be multiple choice.
From my understanding is that to be able to practice medicine in Australia you either need internship/residency years within Australia, this means that if you do choose to go overseas there will be an exceedingly high chance that an Australian internship will not be offered to you since they just simply don't have enough spots (https://medstudentsonline.com.au/fo...-leavers-and-other-medicine-applicants.32824/ is my source), or go through a weird pathway, which once again puts you on a lower preference than new grad med students for job opportunities in Australia.

Now I don't know if it is easier to get into UK med schools or Australian med schools, but my best bet would be that it is equally difficult especially as an international applicant for the UK since medicine is a highly competitive degree across the whole world. And also remember most medical schools only really give you the most bottom-line scores, which means that it is likely much higher i.e UNSW says a 96 atar is sufficient but realistically it is a 99.7~ atar in addition to 95+ ucat! Also if you want more info go to the link in brackets, people there will tell you much more about medicine than here.

JuanPablo

HSC
I heard its ok to come to Australia after qualifying as a doctor in the UK, its in demand!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)