Ultimate Guide to First Year Maths (1 Viewer)

erm

HSC
hey man thanks for that.

Just a quick q: are you disadvantaged in any way by choosing the lower level maths?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Discrete contains concepts that are related to our field of study, such as graph theory, which explains how one might be able to map the entire internet out like google can. A lecturer once said having to do discrete in comp sci is completely normal, but for math 1a and math 1b he scratches his head a little.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
oh what do you know?

Dr Chris Tisdell has the older versions of Math1B Calculus (no Algebra) lecture notes on his UNSW MathsStats website!

im not sure if they can be accessed outside UNSW

MATH1231 Calculus - Lecture Notes

Section 1: Integration.
Section 2: Ordinary Differential Equations.
Section 3: Sequences.
Section 4: Convergence of Series.
Section 5: Power and Taylor Series.
Section 6: Slicing Techniques and Further Applications

corrected spelling errors so forth, and remember this is for the calculus strand only, higher maths and maths 1A/1B contain an algebra strand and calculus strand

N.B.

If Chris Tisdell happens to be your lecturer you will not regret it and you will have entertaining lectures throughout.
I wish I had him as my lecturer for my chosen timeslot back in session 2.

i dont know if he teaches in summer, so unless you had some plans beforehand or you want to accelerate your degree, do NOT fail MATH1231 in session 2.

hey man thanks for that.

Just a quick q: are you disadvantaged in any way by choosing the lower level maths?
Think this way,
games may have a difficulty setting e.g. (Easy, Normal, Hard)

Math 1A/1B - Normal
Higher Math 1A/1B - Hard

So Higher Math is for those who really like maths, mostly due to extra content and expanding on some topics, math 1A/1B itself is sufficient!
If you do Higher Math 1A/1B, marks will be scaled in such a way you will not be disadvantaged compared to Math 1A/1B

There are usually 3 lecture classes to choose from compared to 1 lecture class for the higher ones.

sirfeathers

HSC
Hey everyone, great thread by the way, just what I was looking for :)

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about accelerating units in a maths major. I was told by the Dean of Science that it was common for some people to do second year courses in first year. Has anyone done this? Would this mean that you could skip first-year courses altogether, or that you'd do them at the same time as the second-year courses?

And although I've been unofficially told that I'll be allowed to do this, is there anyone I should formally get in contact with before I start enrolling in courses?

sirfeathers

HSC
oh and btw wouldn't it make more sense for this thread to be in the Faculty of Science forum?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Hey everyone, great thread by the way, just what I was looking for :)

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about accelerating units in a maths major. I was told by the Dean of Science that it was common for some people to do second year courses in first year. Has anyone done this? Would this mean that you could skip first-year courses altogether, or that you'd do them at the same time as the second-year courses?

And although I've been unofficially told that I'll be allowed to do this, is there anyone I should formally get in contact with before I start enrolling in courses?
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Second year courses will likely require first year courses as a prerequisites.
When you attempt to enrol by yourself online into a course in which you have not done a prerequisite for you will be blocked from enrolling into it.

People like me had to get around this (not with maths though) by contacting the office of the faculty/school in question in person and ask them to manually enrol you.

I assume you are referring to this:
UNSW Handbook Plan - Mathematics - MATHM13970

sirfeathers

HSC
When you attempt to enrol by yourself online into a course in which you have not done a prerequisite for you will be blocked from enrolling into it.

People like me had to get around this (not with maths though) by contacting the office of the faculty/school in question in person and ask them to manually enrol you.

I assume you are referring to this:
UNSW Handbook Plan - Mathematics - MATHM13970
From UNSW's "Talented Students" page:

"As a talented student you would also have access to special study programs that would enable you to study second and third year courses while still in first year, with support from individually assigned academic mentors. Some students have been able to finish their degrees six months early by taking advantage of these arrangements."

But in any case, it sounds as if this is something I have to sort out directly with the school itself. When offers come out tonight should I just enrol in first-year units as normal, or should I wait until I've been in contact with the uni/ until we start in March??

Thanks for your help by the way :)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yes, it is common to do second year units in first year. The school of maths is very obliging if they think that you have talent. You will still have to do the first year courses, though - even the guys who get state rankings in 4u have to do them -so you'll be doing second year courses in conjunction with the first year ones.

Since what you want to do is different from the normal program, you will have to be enrolled manually, you can't do it on my UNSW. You should try to talk to a real live human being at the school of maths about it though. I'd recommend you to talk to Ian Doust, he is the head of the pure maths department and a very approachable lecturer.

sirfeathers

HSC
Yes, it is common to do second year units in first year. The school of maths is very obliging if they think that you have talent. You will still have to do the first year courses, though - even the guys who get state rankings in 4u have to do them -so you'll be doing second year courses in conjunction with the first year ones.

Since what you want to do is different from the normal program, you will have to be enrolled manually, you can't do it on my UNSW. You should try to talk to a real live human being at the school of maths about it though. I'd recommend you to talk to Ian Doust, he is the head of the pure maths department and a very approachable lecturer.
Ok cool thankyou!!

I just found the email of "Daniel Chan" who heads the talented student program, so I'll send him a line.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
hey man thanks for that.

Unless your doing a Maths Major for Science its not really worth it.

From what Ive heard from higher years you barely use anything you learn in first year maths.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but its probably a good idea to do the online math quizzes using the Maple software, BUT this depends on your knowledge of maple. Easy questions are better off done by hand, but i know that in MATH1231 its much much easier to do with maple (at least it was for me).

Im doing math1231 in summer session atm, and in my class tests ive been getting marks like 8,6,5/10 (havnt got 4th one back yet), and for the online quizzes (which are similar to the class tests) ive been getting 8,8,10,8/10.

Just a suggestion.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i think tisdell is doing math1231 in semester 2 this year, i'll make sure i get into his lectures.

damn fucking phailage

-s2-

HSC
Does anyone know if a specific math or heavily math related courses are compulsory in second year engineering? Predominantly civil engineering. And the same for physics?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Does anyone know if a specific math or heavily math related courses are compulsory in second year engineering? Predominantly civil engineering. And the same for physics?
hahahaha engineering IS basically heavy math.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
second year engineering would involve MATH2019 Maths for Engineers, and MATH2089 which is apparantly predominantly matlab.

i know this is compulsory for mech, i think for civil too, look up in the UNSW Handbook

-s2-

HSC
Yeah it says:

Year 2

• General Education (6 UOC)
Except I'm not sure if it's compulsory or reccommended. See, one means I'm fucked/raped, the other implies I get to deny consent. Oh my god, why did I do engineering...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)