UMAT 2015 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

iStudent

HSC
Sydney test centre (homebush) last year was much noisier/packed than Melbourne test centre (Caulfield Racecourse)
S1 pretty normal, few tricky ones which I ran out of time on. This year seemed a little more time consuming.
S2 easier than last year I reckon, virtually no hard vocab and more straightforward questions in general.
S3 WTF? Last year I guessed probably close to 10 questions (still managed 67 for S3), this year more than 15 guessed. That was hella hard.
Of course, virtually zero prep this year compared to more extensive prep last year.
Redid UMAT on the remote chance I fail the year. (OSCEs sigh)
Wuuuuut you can do that?! You're already in med, lol. Also, you're allowed to fail once I thought :s (and out of curiosity, what happened to your OSCEs?)

edit: I might have considered redoing it for the lols if that was so, haha.

Last edited:

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Sydney test centre (homebush) last year was much noisier/packed than Melbourne test centre (Caulfield Racecourse)
S1 pretty normal, few tricky ones which I ran out of time on. This year seemed a little more time consuming.
S2 easier than last year I reckon, virtually no hard vocab and more straightforward questions in general.
S3 WTF? Last year I guessed probably close to 10 questions (still managed 67 for S3), this year more than 15 guessed. That was hella hard.
Of course, virtually zero prep this year compared to more extensive prep last year.
Redid UMAT on the remote chance I fail the year. (OSCEs sigh)
It would be a significant achievement to fail in first year and you should receive an award for it if you do. The fact that you put in time and effort for something that doesn't even remotely contribute to your learning should be indication enough that you'll pass. Anyway, a university like Monash goes to every length to ensure its students don't fail.

go_cadel

HSC
Wuuuuut you can do that?! You're already in med, lol. Also, you're allowed to fail once I thought :s (and out of curiosity, what happened to your OSCEs?)

edit: I might have considered redoing it for the lols if that was so, haha.
At Monash, if you fail OSCEs by a great margin, you can't sit the (supplementary) exam. (i.e. fail year automatically)
If you fail by a small margin, you get another shot a couple weeks later.
Also OSCEs are only held at the end of the year.

Choicolate

HSC
Hey guys, this year was my first year of UMAT and I was just wondering if it was possible for a pattern in section 3 to be based upon the number of symmetrical lines available?
I had to guess a whole bunch of the questions in section three, especially for 'pick the middle' with plane shapes (circle in a triangle, hexagon in a square, etc) as nothing could be mapped out, so I ended up testing the number of symmetries on each shape (e.g. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 lines of symmetry in order). :(
I'm still curious to what the actual pattern was, what did you guys get?

iStudent

HSC
At Monash, if you fail OSCEs by a great margin, you can't sit the (supplementary) exam. (i.e. fail year automatically)
If you fail by a small margin, you get another shot a couple weeks later.
Also OSCEs are only held at the end of the year.
But you can repeat the year, can't you? (would mean you graduate in 6 years rather than 5 - but redoing UMAT doesn't seem to make that better either, lol).

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, this year was my first year of UMAT and I was just wondering if it was possible for a pattern in section 3 to be based upon the number of symmetrical lines available?
I had to guess a whole bunch of the questions in section three, especially for 'pick the middle' with plane shapes (circle in a triangle, hexagon in a square, etc) as nothing could be mapped out, so I ended up testing the number of symmetries on each shape (e.g. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 lines of symmetry in order). :(
I'm still curious to what the actual pattern was, what did you guys get?
For those questions the pattern was probably the inside shape becoming the outside shape. (But I'm a <20%tile UMAT candidate)

go_cadel

HSC
It would be a significant achievement to fail in first year and you should receive an award for it if you do. The fact that you put in time and effort for something that doesn't even remotely contribute to your learning should be indication enough that you'll pass. Anyway, a university like Monash goes to every length to ensure its students don't fail.
Thanks for the reassurance. Monash is pretty strict with their marking so a fairly large number have to sit supplementaries every year. (and around 10-15 go on to repeat the year) My communication skills aren't great but it's something I'm trying to improve through practice and various extracurriculars.

But you can repeat the year, can't you? (would mean you graduate in 6 years rather than 5 - but redoing UMAT doesn't seem to make that better either, lol).
I'd try for an unbonded spot in NSW if I don't pass the year. (I'm bonded)

iStudent

HSC
Thanks for the reassurance. Monash is pretty strict with their marking so a fairly large number have to sit supplementaries every year. (and around 10-15 go on to repeat the year) My communication skills aren't great but it's something I'm trying to improve through practice and various extracurriculars.

I'd try for an unbonded spot in NSW if I don't pass the year. (I'm bonded)
Ah, makes sense.
I wonder how it would work since you're not a school leaver (esp. curious with regard to my uni - it's a pass/fail system with no GPA haha - not that I'd consider doing that stressful exam all over again).

(sorry for derailing btw... I'll stop)

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought once you were enrolled in med you couldn't resit umat? I found this:
"If you are a medical student or a qualified health professional (e.g. a medical practitioner, dentist or physiotherapist) and you are required to sit uMAT, you need to seek permission before you can register for the test. Failure to obtain approval in writing from the uMAT office will result in your registration being cancelled"
https://umat.acer.edu.au/files/UMAT_info_book_14.pdf
Also why would you want to go through UMAT hell again, why not try and break you're bond and pay it off?

XbubuX

HSC
Hi guys,

for that divorce question was the answer like their relationship was insignificant?

and what about the lolipop Q what did you guys put for her smile, and what her sister thought?

NujabesMan

HSC
N/A
For S2, does anyone remember their answers for the pictures? 1 was a woman talking about finally doing a house project without arguing, another 1 was a hipster talking about finding a doctor who fit their systematic design. I think I said the woman was being recriminatory and the hipster was being ingratiating

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
For S2, does anyone remember their answers for the pictures? 1 was a woman talking about finally doing a house project without arguing, another 1 was a hipster talking about finding a doctor who fit their systematic design. I think I said the woman was being recriminatory and the hipster was being ingratiating
One was bitter for that woman, consoling for the dude on the bench, naive something for the man and woman painting on the wall

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
S1 + S2 were probably standard- A few difficult but mostly OK
Then S3 Wrekd Everyone
Yeah s2 was okayish. Guessed like 12 s1 fml but s3 was anal i swear im getting like 3% for that section

Last edited:

NujabesMan

HSC
N/A
So the man with the wine list at the restaurant was bitter, the female psychiatrist was consoling yeah?

So was the woman talking about the house project being sarcastic and challenging, and the hipster being naive and shallow?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Hi guys,

for that divorce question was the answer like their relationship was insignificant?

and what about the lolipop Q what did you guys put for her smile, and what her sister thought?
Smile i put social obligation had no fucking idea. Her sister was comforting her I think

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
So the man with the wine list at the restaurant was bitter, the female psychiatrist was consoling yeah?

So was the woman talking about the house project being sarcastic and challenging, and the hipster being naive and shallow?
The woman and the house project was naive, coz they're doing different paintings and she says that they're finally able to work together, but idk man. Yeah the hipster was naive and shallow.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Did any1 get the phillipa question? And the other chic and her husband and his dad. Confusing af

Aznsrkool

HSC
what about the two people standing on the window ledge to kill themselves o_O
deciding answer was between that social conventions were CIVILISING or STRONG lol

Dennis1348

HSC
N/A
The girl who had a friend over, showing the picture frame was a nice passage though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)