UMAT is EVIL EVIL EVIL! (1 Viewer)

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
I believe it's possible to sit the UMAT after completing one full year of university study; in which you can then apply for undergraduate admissions (UWS) -but I could be wrong so do some research.

However, I do remember sitting in the lecture room at the University of Sydney during the Medicine information session at USYD LIVE last year, and the speaker there stated that under no circumstances, will any students who have attempted or completed any tertiary studies (university/TAFE) be considered for admission into their medicine program (strictly for HSC students only).

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yeah true, only 1year
but when you're a narrow minded and naiive 18yo who has just finished their HSC thinking that their 99.5 means everything in the world and has to compare UAI's with their mates and every person they meet and say with complete honesty, 'oh, i didn't do that well in my hsc. I'm doing science *crys*'... then they'd feel pretty shit at the prospect of not doing med first year out.

They just need to grow a bit and realise that the amount of time and effort getting into med doesn't mean shit. Coz once you get in, it's an entirely different ball game. Everyone comes from different backgrounds, some with arts degrees and some with 10years experience in the military might know harrisons back to front by the end of the semester and kick all those james ruse nerds. Yea that's right alvin

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
bob.. its only cos i ownz u on everything, know your secrets and ure jealous..

kcchippy

HSC
Bob.J said:
yeah true, only 1year
but when you're a narrow minded and naiive 18yo who has just finished their HSC thinking that their 99.5 means everything in the world and has to compare UAI's with their mates and every person they meet and say with complete honesty, 'oh, i didn't do that well in my hsc. I'm doing science *crys*'... then they'd feel pretty shit at the prospect of not doing med first year out.

They just need to grow a bit and realise that the amount of time and effort getting into med doesn't mean shit. Coz once you get in, it's an entirely different ball game. Everyone comes from different backgrounds, some with arts degrees and some with 10years experience in the military might know harrisons back to front by the end of the semester and kick all those james ruse nerds. Yea that's right alvin
yes, I see those med students are infinitely empathetic.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well as they say 'the most empathetic you'll ever be in your medical career is now, in your first year as a medical student'

anyway, you got what I said right? Like you see so many who say 'but that's wasting my time, omg i didnt get in what am i going to do? Im screwed, med science is crap without med, i dont want to waste my life with that. Ok, im doing commerce.'

- university is not a waste of time.

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
stella8h8chang said:
Yeah - and besides, it's not really wasting a year, I'm sure she did many worthwhile things during it. To value your year on whether you got into undergraduate medicine or not (I think) is extremely shallow.
Thanks stella for a mature and supportive response for a change *points at pointdexter for picking on me harsh :( *

Anyway I was only 15 turning 16 in year 12 and wasn't really as ready as all my peers who were mostly 18 or so.

No I wasnt wasting year 12 at all, in fact I achieve a lot of stuff outside of HSCs and I'm happy for that.

Thanks all for the advice, I'll take the UMAT test again this year. If not, I'll apply grad entry.

hachoo

HSC
stella8h8chang said:
Hey! Don't panic! Don't beat yourself (or other people) up for this mix-up. Bureaucracy will always be evil; particularly in medicine they want to find more excuses to weed people out. As Bill Gates said, "Life is unfair. Get used to it."

On a more positive note, I guess what I have to say has largely been said by persons above. Just sit it this year. One of my mates is actually resitting the umat in 2007 - doing Advanced Science for now and going to try transferring.

And Graduate Medicine is definitely a great option. I believe everything happens for a reason - perhaps you are meant to do graduate med because something amazingly special awaits you at that particular university. Okay so I'm being romantic and idealistic, but don't we have the right to dream?

Anyways, good luck on your medical journey :)
Great stuff. I myself went through the same thing. As heart-broken as we are, it only means one thing: we have the passion, motivation, heart and everything that is right to do what we want. You're one of few I know who actually feel this way about Medicine. Use it........

kcchippy

HSC
Jessica_00 said:
Thanks stella for a mature and supportive response for a change *points at pointdexter for picking on me harsh :( *

Anyway I was only 15 turning 16 in year 12 and wasn't really as ready as all my peers who were mostly 18 or so.

No I wasnt wasting year 12 at all, in fact I achieve a lot of stuff outside of HSCs and I'm happy for that.

Thanks all for the advice, I'll take the UMAT test again this year. If not, I'll apply grad entry.
Don't worry I'm probably in a bit of a similar situation myself, if not worse. I know exactly how it feels to not get in and then wonder where exactly to go. I also didn't do the UMAT in year 12, because I didn't know that med was right for me and I knew if I committed to it, I'd do it. So now, I'm doing the exact same thing, UMAT again except now in my 2nd year of uni, so not a great plan, but yeah just seeing where it leads me. I actually always wanted to do grad med at USYD, but I guess that's just my faint USYD pride speaking. 16 is very young to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life, good on you for being so positive.

Oh and don't worry too much about pointdexter, he doesn't mean for it to sound so mean, I'm sure (besides he did it to me when I was in year 12, lol I still remember feeling cut hehe).

Me-Shell

HSC
dexter has been roaming online forums for that long kc? *mentally wondering the number of virtual gfs he's had.....*

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Me-Shell said:
dexter has been roaming online forums for that long kc? *mentally wondering the number of virtual gfs he's had.....*
feels cut :\

nahim here cos im a little bitter about medicine and i think its the lack of warning about wat u actualli do..

like i have seen intern work.. and they are shit kickers.. u dun do real work till ure a consultant.. otherwise its bloods and post-op and diagnosis.. nothing mindblowing..

Last edited:

Me-Shell

HSC
Oh sorry sweetheart! Just couldn't resist that one..

Ya I know what you mean re interns. They get less respect than I do at work. Doesn't life get better as a reg though?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah
lol but the regs still are the consultant's bitch..

u ever sit and watch the surgery with them?... the surgy regs in Aust still hold back the fat flaps.. debride.. and get to close ... its sooooo boring... they dun drill or saw

the anaesthetics regs are just replacing fluids.. and staring... and they look so edgy and bored.. :(.. and get to intubate once in a while :\..

then u get paged every 3 mins.. and u run off lolz... to advise about post-op complications.. >.<

not as exciting as one would hope..

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
HAHAHA yes but being paged to like deal with simple things is annoying.. like signing off dosages..

but mabbe that floats ure boat :p hahah ull love the PG years then

aussiechica7

HSC
yay 4 all the MSOers on here, makes me feel "at home"

i had to do a year of biomedical science before i got into med (my first umat SUCKED)... anyway it was the best yr ever. i got to meet interesting ppl, learnt a LOT about the human body and biology in general, got really used to how university functions as opposed to high school, and am so more prepared for medicine now than i ever was b4. personally, i think if i had gotten in straight away i would've had this crazy idea that i somehow "deserved" it, a little bit arrogant i think. because i had 2 sit again, when i actually got my offers i just felt so... honoured. like it didn't even seem like i deserved it, like it was a privilege (which is ironic considering i worked twice as hard to get in as i would've if i had gotten in out of yr 12). detouring into med wouldn't have been my original plan but i think it will make me a much better person and doctor.

also, some unis make u do a yr of health science/sciences b4 u get to the med anyway, so i just c it as a yr of "science" b4 going into 5 yrs of "the good stuff"

Me-Shell

HSC
yeah i know what you mean. And it's such a long long journey to become a consultant. You know, I'm kinda glad I'm well used to doing menial repetitve tasks in relation to the health care context. Ie - I already know it's not that exciting.

One pre-consultant job I thought looked pretty good in terms of autonomy was working as a reg in ICU or A&E.

kcchippy

HSC
Me-Shell said:

haha I like never check bored of studies, I think it was probably a lot longer than when i finished year 12 as I only discovered this at the end of my year 12 year and it was already up and running :p

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah

u ever sit and watch the surgery with them?... the surgy regs in Aust still hold back the fat flaps.. debride.. and get to close ... its sooooo boring... they dun drill or saw

the anaesthetics regs are just replacing fluids.. and staring... and they look so edgy and bored.. :(.. and get to intubate once in a while :\..
depends on the op though - if the consultants are in clinic the regs do small things like pacemakers. i saw a couple of TKRs and it was just the rmo and reg doing the op and the consultant sitting in the corner reading the paper (and telling them to hurry up so he could go watch the cricket)

poor anaesthetists though, they're so bored. they always love when superfluous people come into the theatre so they have someone to talk to.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah

then u get paged every 3 mins.. and u run off lolz... to advise about post-op complications.. >.<

not as exciting as one would hope..
not when they shove you in the country ;)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
That's why some people don't mind getting bonded sometimes.
That's not what I meant. 1 year is enough in the country, let alone 5/6 (you can choose though if you want to work closer to the city, but then your limited in specialities)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)