UMAT Results (1 Viewer)

clockwise

HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
I'm not sure if my experience is representative of the whole but I didn't find that much UAI/UMAT comparing went on. Occaisionally you find out 'so and so duxed ruse' or 'topped subject x' but I don't think it is particularly good form to go around asking people their entry marks. (in other words, I'd be surprised if any one person's word of mouth mark gathering were representative to any useful degree).
lol i understand that !! yeah i heard from my friends who are in first year that marks are taboo!! i was wondering if i had a chance thats all!!! do you think i have a chance?

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
jemdude said:
oi sorry for the double post, but what uai would i realistically need to get into a medicine course? im not too concerned about location.

thanks in advance and also thought i might add that i didnt do any preparation except those two booklets from the acer website if anyones interested.
the higher the better obviously, but it depends on university and of course, how you go with the interview.

rough guide here

and you can find the table on their site clockwise, or click the link...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
KFunk said:
I'm not sure if my experience is representative of the whole but I didn't find that much UAI/UMAT comparing went on. Occaisionally you find out 'so and so duxed ruse' or 'topped subject x' but I don't think it is particularly good form to go around asking people their entry marks. (in other words, I'd be surprised if any one person's word of mouth mark gathering were representative to any useful degree).
in my 1st yr it was .. "my stethoscope is better than urs".. cos it can hear a murmur in an earthquake.. lolz.. actualli i was listening to the MR murmur which was a grade 4 .... i heard it at the umbilicus and felt it :(

in my 2nd yr.. it was "I read ECGs and do physiology better than u do.."

in my 3rd yr it was.. "hey my penis is LARGER than a cadavar.. " *rolls eyes... at the thought of cold < formalin strinkage and the ensuing discussions*

now i am in 4th yr.. the neatest thing that we compare is diseases.. and procedures done..too many Urinary caths, PRs,ABGs, lap choles ,couple of endotracheals.. and im gunning to do a thoracocentesis :\ if they let me.. i was allowed to do the fibrolytic therapy which was kewl..

funny thing is the 3 classmates i had with higher UMATs and UAIs/ENTERs/TERs than me... have since dropped out of medicine.. I won on self-discipline .. and that trumps all... the guys duxing my yr are very disciplined with high yield learning .. and u just sit there amazed by them.

EDIT: OMG MY HANDS ARE SORE FROM WRITING so many forms and ward entries.. today :(. Kfunk.. if u hit clinical.. just dive in.. and be keen and competent.. then they will let u do more things

Last edited:

tilia

HSC
Hey people have probably already asked so sorry in advance, but...

1. Does anyone know about what umat score/percentile was needed last year to get in to OPTOMETRY?

2. How hard is it to transfer from vision science? At the open day the speaker said you only needed 65% + first year, but some people are saying distinction average in this thread ... has anyone actually done it or knows for sure?

thanks !

clockwise

HSC
N/A
They didnt need UMAT last year to get into optom last year it was only UAI cut off which i think was 98.something..

and yes it is hard to transfer (according to three of my friends in first year optom) from vision science mainly because the majority also wants to transfer so there is heaps of competition..

so i would suggest just trying to get into optom with UAI

tilia

HSC
clockwise said:
They didnt need UMAT last year to get into optom last year it was only UAI cut off which i think was 98.something..

and yes it is hard to transfer (according to three of my friends in first year optom) from vision science mainly because the majority also wants to transfer so there is heaps of competition..

so i would suggest just trying to get into optom with UAI
Thanks for the reply. Yeh it does seem pretty competitive and difficult =| I thinking im getting uai 95ish and umat was 62(90%), 63(96%), 52(57%), overall percentile rank = 90%...so im pretty sure I can't get in straight away...

I think i'll risk doing the vision science, its only one year and i'm pretty set on wanting to do optom

Anybody else have ideas/info/tips?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
EDIT: OMG MY HANDS ARE SORE FROM WRITING so many forms and ward entries.. today :(. Kfunk.. if u hit clinical.. just dive in.. and be keen and competent.. then they will let u do more things
Aye, I plan to. I'll should be doing 3 days at hospital a week (or similar) next year which I quite look forward to. (I'll be rockin' the Toronto notes too - 2006 - thanks to the heads up from MSO).

clockwise said:
lol i understand that !! yeah i heard from my friends who are in first year that marks are taboo!! i was wondering if i had a chance thats all!!! do you think i have a chance?
The best guide for UNSW is probably that UAI/UMAT table for interview offers:

UMAT-----UAI

If you can stay ahead of the general trend on the table and score an interview (performing well in it) then you're in with a reasonable chance.

darcski

HSC
yep, sure looking at med sci to grad medicine. but since im rural (6 on the scale of 1-7) and that counts as 1/4 of your entry at unsw, im not giving up on it yet...
predicted UAI was 96, so might be ok for rural, i know people in there with UAIs of 91-92.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
tilia said:
Thanks for the reply. Yeh it does seem pretty competitive and difficult =| I thinking im getting uai 95ish and umat was 62(90%), 63(96%), 52(57%), overall percentile rank = 90%...so im pretty sure I can't get in straight away...

I think i'll risk doing the vision science, its only one year and i'm pretty set on wanting to do optom

Anybody else have ideas/info/tips?
UAI last year for optometry was 98.75 and UMAT was not an entry requirement as it is only starting from now on.

you need 65%+ to transfer from vision science and you need at least a CREDIT average to stay in optom, not distinction.

once again a link to FAQs about UNSW optometry http://www.optom.unsw.edu.au/future/undergraduate/ugfaq.html

Graphic FX

HSC
With an expected UAI of 99+, a UMAT of 178 and all goes well in the interview wats the chance of Medicine at UNSW?

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
I suppose you wanted to hear that your chances were high? Well, clearly, those are high--though I'm pretty sure you already figured that out. ;) I wouldn't even dream of a 99 (ENTER for me).

S1 70 (98%)
S2 58 (87%)
S3 54 (68%)
Total 182 (94%)

It won't be enough to get me into Medicine, as I'm expecting an ENTER score from 90 - 97, but I did the UMAT in order to keep my options open. I actually hoped I wouldn't do too well on it (at the cost of smashing my ego), so I could focus on achieving a mark good enough to enter Law, but now I'm just as undecided as before. [Self-convincing excuse designed to placate ego forthcoming] But I didn't study for the UMAT or take it as seriously, which makes me feel both good and bad; good, because I winged it and didn't do too badly; bad, because if I had taken it seriously, I might have done better.

And I think I may have forgotten to apply for UNSW Medicine. That's both stupid and hilarious.

Graphic FX

HSC
Thanks for the reassurance. Umm i figured id do all right in UAI and interview just my UMAT is pretty shit. Its been a tossup b/w med and law for me too. I just looked at what I really wanted to do and what it was that was motivating me to want that career...Because Law and Med are both really tough, timeconsumning careers that demand u sacrafice alot for them

reece381035

HSC
hey everyone,
most people have been talking about eastern states unis and im wondering if anyone knows anything about what u need in the UMAT to get an interview at UWA? my scores were

S1:62 (90%)
S2:63 (96%)
S3:45 (22%)
Overall: 57 (85%)
Percent score = 206
All raw score = 170

damn the last section :( i didnt do any prep courses!
anyone able to help?

Gosford

HSC
wat tee/ter u gonna get
but i am impressed with your scores!!!
my cousin went
81%, 87% and 29%
section 3 is the easiest to imrove upon
congrats
but uwa typically needs 180-190 i heard

lapin.mignon

HSC
tilia said:
Hey people have probably already asked so sorry in advance, but...

1. Does anyone know about what umat score/percentile was needed last year to get in to OPTOMETRY?

2. How hard is it to transfer from vision science? At the open day the speaker said you only needed 65% + first year, but some people are saying distinction average in this thread ... has anyone actually done it or knows for sure?

thanks !
You can always do Vision Science at Melbourne where they give you two chances at lateral entry into the Optometry course.

lapin.mignon

HSC
lapin.mignon said:
You can always do Vision Science at Melbourne where they give you two chances at lateral entry into the Optometry course.
My problem was not really studying before sitting the test, not really sleeping much before the test, and not going to the toilet before Section 1.

Section one should have been my best section, yet I only got 60.

><

Good thing my suprisingly high Section 3 dragged it up.

I swear, I have no spatial IQ = =;;

kloudsurfer

HSC
Autumn_Rain said:
Unfortunately, Newcastle counts as neither rural nor regional and I don't think we get any special consideration for being locals.
Yes you do. Its called the Deans Regional list. You dont have to apply for it, you get put down for it automatically if you are in the region. I dont know much about it though...

Gosford

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Yes you do. Its called the Deans Regional list. You dont have to apply for it, you get put down for it automatically if you are in the region. I dont know much about it though...
you are right
ut still need a min uai of 93.8 (im strugglin for that)
but at least 20% of csp spots have to be for deans regional list (awesome!)

shepwarp

HSC
I have an interview lined up at UNSW... my predicted UAI is 100... I'm not sure how that measures up to TER because my TER should be coming in >99.5... if all goes to plan. My UMAT scores were 54 (73%), 52 (67%) and 52 (57%)...

Are my chances for making it into UNSW ok?

kloudsurfer

HSC
Gosford said:
you are right
ut still need a min uai of 93.8 (im strugglin for that)
but at least 20% of csp spots have to be for deans regional list (awesome!)
And 30% have to be rural. So only 50% are non rural and non newcastlers. Thats not much at all...

Oh well, im rural :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)