Umat? Summer School? (1 Viewer)

the leader

HSC
Do you/ did you have them, and did they help? (I'm freaking about UMAT and its like 18 months away :) )

wenruoshi

HSC
um...just a quick dumb question....
if a university is not included in UMAT Consortium Universities then do you still need to take UMAT even if you want to do medicine?

kloudsurfer

HSC
the leader said:
Do you/ did you have them, and did they help? (I'm freaking about UMAT and its like 18 months away :) )
Worrying about the UMAT already? You remind me of me a year ago!!!

Anyway, I ordered them just before xmas so they should be coming soon. They are only 18 each.

Ill let you know. :)

the leader

HSC
LottoX said:
Haha ask someone who bought them last year and they'll give them to you for less! Maybe even for free!
Nah, too much trouble; I'll just scab the $36 out of my parents :)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Yeah i'm with MedEntry for 2007 UMAT. I don't like online stuff, computer gives me a headache, i'd rather paper work :) But for copyright reasons you can't print off the online stuff that MedEntry give you...i think?...because on their website they have downloadable sample questions and they don't allow you to print those off.
Yeah i'm freaking out about the UMAT already...oh July 25...

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
LottoX said:
Haha ask someone who bought them last year and they'll give them to you for less! Maybe even for free!
Mmmm just wondering, do ACER produce practice questions, sample questions and practice tests each year? I'm just wondering if i need to order the ACER stuff because a person I know is giving me all her UMAT resources for free, and I'm presuming she has ACER stuff too...

bmwz4

HSC
im freaking out about umat LOL....i dno if i shuld go to icarus college....whats this face2face thing? where is it held and are there any UMAT tutors which can give u umat questions they scabbed from these programs....anyways i went to the edassit summer school lectures...they were pretty good actually, however the first day they told us stuff we already knew but the second day we went thru the first topic of bio and it was helpful did a lot of hsc past questions....very interesting....anywayss get back to me on the umat thing i havent done anything about it been procrastinating

:)

Evergreen

HSC
why doesnt USYD use umat? also, i dont think umat is an indicator of whether u can be a doctor or not, it only assesses logical ability, i.e. problem solving, pattern recognition.

also, is the umat harder than the free questions at medentry.com or whatever? i tried those, they werent that hard. why are the packages so damn expensive.. 500$... its bullshit?

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Evergreen said:
why doesnt USYD use umat?
USyd only has postgraduate courses for Dentistry and Medicine thus is uses the GAMSAT. UMAT is usually for getting into undegraduate courses.

Evergreen said:
also, i dont think umat is an indicator of whether u can be a doctor or not, it only assesses logical ability, i.e. problem solving, pattern recognition.
I believe section 2 is about empathy or somesuch. Interpesonal Skills? Basically it tests your ability to interact with patients.

Also, the UMAT is to probably cull the thousands of applicants each year.

Evergreen said:
also, is the umat harder than the free questions at medentry.com or whatever? i tried those, they werent that hard. why are the packages so damn expensive.. 500$... its bullshit?
Well entry into Medicine and Dentistry is very coveted so prep courses have capitalised on this by charging a high fee. People are willing to pay that much so they sell it at that price.

Also, no prep program is affiliated with ACER so they cannot accurately represent the actual UMAT questions besides the actualy test format. Basically, the questions could be harder, easier or completely different.

Evergreen

HSC
lol, it would suck to fail umat, when u have bought the prep things that cost 500$ or more. thats like 650+ in total costs and failure to get into medicine. i went to ACER site and they had this detailed booklet bout everything and they also have practice questions for those who are interested: http://umatweb.acer.edu.au/images/infobook/UMAT06InfoBook.pdf

problem solving can get bad though, i reckon those are too wordy and bad for the slow reader. understanding people is ok, im not so sure. non-verbal reasoning is good, though i think they will put complex shit at the end. actually those nonverbal questions look very similar to the heaps of IQ tests ive encountered over internet, so this would be advantaageous.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Yeah I love section 2: Empathy and interpersonal skills, it's the only section i'm good at.
I heard that USYD is actually thinking of having an undergraduate course for MBBS...I don't know whether or not it is true though.

Also another thing, on the unsw website it says something like, "there's no evidence that umat prep courses gives students an advantage over non applied prep courses. it cannot be concluded that the students who scored high umat results with the prep course training were benefitted highly from these prep courses" etc.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
yoakim said:
"there's no evidence that umat prep courses gives students an advantage over non applied prep courses. it cannot be concluded that the students who scored high umat results with the prep course training were benefitted highly from these prep courses" etc.
I so very much wish that was true. :D

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
I so very much wish that was true. :D
Mmmm, but then again, personally, and probably with most other people's perspectives, I believe that UMAT prep courses do help...I've been convinced by past prep. course students lol that it indeed does benefit you. Five hundred buckeroos from my own pocket, here it goes...

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Has anyone actually started prep yet?

I haven't cause it costs a lot of money and I know I won't use them so I'm waiting till I start getting into "hard working" mode before I spend that much money.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
I hope UMAT comes with disadvatange points but I don't think it will, suppose then again disadavatage points don't work on medicine either.

What are the alternatives to medicine? Do they involve doing a GAMSAT? Or are there any other ways of bypassing UMAT to get into medicine. I'm so nervous and worried.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
I hope UMAT comes with disadvatange points but I don't think it will, suppose then again disadavatage points don't work on medicine either.

What are the alternatives to medicine? Do they involve doing a GAMSAT? Or are there any other ways of bypassing UMAT to get into medicine. I'm so nervous and worried.
GAMSAT is for graduate entry.

I don't think there is a way of bypassing UMAT. You could kinda bypass UAI by doing course with a lower cut-off and maintain a very good GPA/WAM/YAM but it would still need to take into accountthe UMAT i believe.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
james cook university.. is one way..

Uni of sydney's for yr 12 leavers..

and other way is sit the GAMSAT.. and go for a graduate school

UMAT doesnt change from yr to yr.. but since sat it .. its changed quite a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)