Umat (1 Viewer)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Any idea about UMAT besides structure, types of questions, marks associated with UAI to have an interview? Esp sites to get practice papers! Does the State library have anything for UMAT?

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Thanks. Anyway, hopefully you'll share some tips on the first 2 sections. The types of questions are rather strange, tho I have to say: a bit similar to SAT. Do you read the Q or A first? Do they align your marks like they do to HSC? Does the 1st section takes the most marks? Which types of books can help?

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
Entire test Multiple choice

Section 1
-Logical reasoning and problem solving:
44 questions in 65 minutes
(Questions are similar to those in IQ tests and similar to those in Science competitions eg interpreting graphs and pictures)

Section 2
-Understanding People
36 questions in 45 minutes
(Questions talk about peoples emotions, you are given a scenario an asked questions like "How does this guy feel" and "what is best done in this situation")

Section 3
-non verbal reasoning
30 questions in 40 minutes
(Questions are mostly spatical reasoning questions, eg finding next picture in a given sequence etc)

Preparing? You cannot fully prepare for it
Courses such as Medentry helps but is expensive.

Last edited:

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Actually the UMAT is double the length of what you said - 44 in 65, 36 in 45 and 30 in 40 (don't hold me to that cos I've forgotten)

Whether going to a prep course helps is debatable - you can't really say for sure that you wouldn't have gotten the exact same thing with(out) the course. Case in point - my friend who did absolutely no prep got 222 raw whereas I did a course and got 199 (still in the 99th percentile but obviously not quite as good) - so you be the judge...

As for UMAT/UAI combinations required for interview, this is the site for UNSW http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local . It has a table about a quarter of the way down. Thats the only uni that takes into consideration predicted UAIs in determining who gets an interview - most of the other rely purely on UMAT results.

Keep in mind that UNSW (I assume this is your first choice?) attracts people with ridiculously high UAIs - the info booklet says the median UAI for entry in past years has been "well over 99" which is, according to my sources, in the vicinity of 99.5 (i.e. the MEDIAN is 99.5)

which is not to say you can't get in with something below 99 - its just a lot harder unless you're willing to go bonded which slightly lowers stuff - but thats a different topic altogether

Last edited:

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
partelephant said:
Actually the UMAT is double the length of what you said - 44 in 65, 36 in 45 and 30 in 40 (don't hold me to that cos I've forgotten)
lol yes sorry you are right, I was looking at my UMAT practice questions booklet =D

Congrats on your UMAT score btw.
Yes i took medentry as well, im not bad mouthing it or anything, but i did rediculously bad for a medentry student (bottom 23% of state)

Last edited:

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Cheers, drynxz (excuse the pun - or am I attempting to pronounce it incorrectly lol)

UMAT prep programs really are a bit dodgy. In retrospect I have to doubt whether it actually helped me at all. I think UMAT is something that you just either have a knack for or you don't (esp sections 2 and 3)

One thing to be wary of is the claim of some people ( *cough* medentry *cough*) that in the actual exam you will achieve percentiles of at least around 15 higher than in your practice exams. From the beginning I was consistently achieving about 90-95th percentile (s1), 85th percentile (s2) and 95-100th percentile (s3). In the end I got (98th/74th/100th) - yeah wth @ section 2?!?!

What I'm trying to say is that if you achieve say 70th percentile consistently in practice exams, don't think "sweet, I'm a shoe-in to get 85th percentile cos in the practice exams I'm competing against a "more able and dedicated cohort"" because overconfidence is a killer and people are too quick to believe these sorts of programs.

In terms of how they "scale" UMAT marks - they scale them so they are relevant over a 2 year period. That means if one year's test is ridiculously hard and the next year's one is ridiculously easy, for a similar overall percentile comparing to your group (i.e. 2 people both get an overall percentile of, say, 80), a person who did the harder test will get a higher mark than one who did the easier test (they do this to account for small variations in test difficulty from year to year)

If you really want some indepth discussion from people who actually know what they're talking about, join something like MSO or read through the forums.

Last edited:

Season

HSC
I like section two, section two is the reason I got soo many interviews, i got 98th percentile, and I finished 15 minutes early.... The other two sections weren't as good in comparison lol... but thing to note is that I did no preparation for section two... so make of that what you will.

I suggest reading the material and try to put yourself in their shoes, immerse yourself in the stories they tell and see how it makes you feel. Remember that you don't have the same experiences as these (imaginary) people have, but you have most likely felt all those emotions- and that's the key to everything- emotions.

ie question from last year, as i remember it...

a old woman is dancing gaily around a room surrounded by her family all happy, clapping and laughing. A young doctor pulls a man out of the room
"she's not going to get better John"
"but she's soo happy..."
"she's not going to get better"

This man will
a)go back into the room and break the news to the old woman gently
b)leave the building
c)go back into the room and if anything pretend to be happier then before
d)ask for a second opinion

As for weighting... since Melb won't be around next year... all universities weigh each of the sections equally.

I think the answer is C, that's what I put down anyway...

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Yes, I choose C as well. It's too cruel if he chooses A, too ignorant if he chooses B and choosing D just makes more people know about that truth.

Well, Section B requires lots of emotional intelligence. You are such one! Wow. I hardly bend myself to suit in any shoe. I'm sort of light-hearted.

So, universities will consider the percentile of each of your 3 sections? They have different requirements, I guess? Section 1 is the most difficult to me. Hix

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
Yeh people say medentry helps, just make sure you dont choke on the day like i did

My medentry percentiles were around
70th% for section 1
40th% for section 2
99th% for section 3
but in actual umat...far farr lower

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Oh Com'on. You must have done pretty well in the 1st and 3rd sections. You still can do it again!

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Oh Com'on. You must have done pretty well in the 1st and 3rd sections. You still can do it again!
Yep i am doing it again later this year. However unlike the STAT test, umat can only be done once a year, so like many hopefuls for medicine...if they do poorly in their umat this year, it may hinder their chances of getting into undergraduate medicine.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Er...It's like I have to compete against you this year. Drynxz! Arggg Arggg Arggg

Do they give you the raw marks then the aligned marks then percentiles as in HSC and UAI?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)