umat (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i meant it was the first of all my interviews.. monash .newc .adel. UWA.UQ . griffith

lol most ppl apply across the nation....it costs about $100 to apply to all the state bodies
flying is
$200 by virgin to QLD, vic
$250 to SA
$300ish to WA..
so save up..

NZ is pretti hard to get into..
i didnt stay the night.. jetted in then out..
accomodation is extra :)

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Yes i definately agree with Pointdexter here, apply everywhere! It maximises ur chances of getting in...but remember u still have to do well in ur UMAT to get interviews at diff unis. And the more interviews u get...the better r ur chances of getting in.
Good luck :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Pointdexter which unis did you make it into?
Costs quite a bit it seems to go to all those interviews... :S

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i worked since yr 10.. so all those days at hungry jacks and burger king paid off :)
2 med and 3 dent offers.. med was mostly late round.. all the dent ones were early..
i took the most affordable and reputable one..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah apply everywhere, because when it comes down to it Medicine is Medicine no matter where you study it (within Australia/New Zealand that is) and if you're that dedicated you won't care where you go to study.

Obviously the courses aren't identical, and you should familiarise yourself with all of them (as the interviewers ALWAYS ask you to explain why you want to come to [name] over anywhere else) but there are no "bad" universities when it comes to Med.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
When is everything finalised and sorted... I'm planning on a trip after the entire ordeal is done with...
[in terms of interviews, offers, enrolments, accomodation planning and such].
Thanks.

Lexicographer: but do the other unis allow combination with other courses... heh that particular element of the interview seems cheesy...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You won't have time for all that, since offers come out in late January and classes begin mid-February.

As for combined med, most universities offer some combined program for a very small number of academically excellent students. Check out their websites for details.

Notably:

UNSW: MBBS/BA
UMelb: MBBS/BMedSc
UMon: MBBS/LLB
UWA: MBBS/BA

Those are from memory, they may be slightly inaccurate (and there are probably omissions). These are only for undergraduate entry, since the opportunities for Graduate are much wider (most unis will offer MBBS/PhD).

For more detailed information, consult the university websites, you'll find all the links at

Edit: Oh yeah, I just realised what you were referring to. Don't focus too much on the combined degrees, since your primary concern should be elements of the medical course program. What they're looking for in candidates is knowledge of the elements in a particular course that they like over "competing" courses. That is, what is it about the program at [university] that you particularly like in comparison to the other universities? Can you discuss these elements of the medical program? Do you know what you're talking about, and why you want to go to [university]?

(replace [university] with Newcastle or something, they asked me this question at my interview there)

Last edited:

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Estel said:
Lexicographer: but do the other unis allow combination with other courses... heh that particular element of the interview seems cheesy...

Most undergraduate medical courses in Australia allow you to comined med with Arts i think this is the case cause of the broader view of the world you will gain and partially easiest of the degree with the exception of Newcastle which only lets you study Med alone.

Also like Lexi said above Monash and Melbourne offer alternatives like MedSci and Law if your interested in these.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
also note robert, monash offers arts/med but u hafta apply directly to the arts faculty...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, I saw that one the other day on their site (but couldn't remember if it was actually Monash or somewhere else, so I left it out to be safe). :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
thankyou Lexicographer :)

Hopefully there's a gap between interview time so I don't have to travel halfway across Aus and then back again the next day without a chance to see anythin...
Wiggle: Law/Med would be murder....

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Om i re-read the first post and i have totally contradicted it! i eventually did a prep course because i really want to get in now (to dentistry). I dont know what made me do it in the end. i think it was because everyone around me was doing one, so i kind of felt left out :(

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Law/Med would be murder....
yes it is...and also for ppl who cant make up their minds about how much money to make roffle

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
also note robert, monash offers arts/med but u hafta apply directly to the arts faculty...
Hey wilson, I wanted to ask: If Monash is only 5 years, do you lose 1 year of clinical or 1 year of textbook cramming?

Estel: Don't count on it. The universities set the dates, and you have to follow. I did Melbourne - Adelaide - Gold Coast in 5 days. I did manage to spend a week up in the Sunshine Coast after everything was done, so that was pretty good.

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Skywalker said:
Hey wilson, I wanted to ask: If Monash is only 5 years, do you lose 1 year of clinical or 1 year of textbook cramming?
Well we start our clinical studies from 3rd Yr onwards...so we basically have 2yrs of tbook cramming, and then 3yrs clinical.

Moderator Edit: Syntax repaired (no content changes).

Last edited by a moderator:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Hmm I don't see the third option- we don't lose any years? It's just that we run on more of a packed schedule than most other medical schools i have compared with...e.g. UNSW. I don't think we necessarily miss out on anything just because we have one less year, but we have yet to see the outcomes cos the 5 year course is still in it's infancy and the ability of graduates has yet to be gauged.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmm i start full clinical in 4th.. (teachin hosp instead of uni) but clinical (bout 2-3hrs) contact starts in 1st.. yer the 1st grad from the PBL in adel are coming out this year.. we're all jittery.. anyone kno any PBL grads from newcastle?

skywalker how bout UNSW?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)