Umm how do slip rings give an output current of AC?? (1 Viewer)

Seomate

HSC
They don't. The purpose of the slip rings is to complete the circuit and provide a power supply. Slip rings do not need to give an output current of AC since the input current is already AC in itself, so the slip rings do not need to reverse the current directions.

The split ring (DC) on the other hand, is the one that reverses the current (and hence, reverses torque) in order to keep the coil continually rotating. This is due to the fact that the input current is DC, and a current of DC will not allow for the coil to continually rotate.

Hopefully it made sense and I hope I answered your question!

Prawnchip

HSC
They don't. The purpose of the slip rings is to complete the circuit and provide a power supply. Slip rings do not need to give an output current of AC since the input current is already AC in itself, so the slip rings do not need to reverse the current directions.

The split ring (DC) on the other hand, is the one that reverses the current (and hence, reverses torque) in order to keep the coil continually rotating. This is due to the fact that the input current is DC, and a current of DC will not allow for the coil to continually rotate.

haha just another question :)

The split ring used for DC, reverses the current in the coil, so wouldn't the current be alternating hence AC? Or does it not matter since the input current is DC?

Seomate

HSC
I guess it would be safer to say that the split ring commutator is a device which changes DC to AC. Better to cross-check this with someone else to see if I'm right though

QZP

HSC

uh......... obviously OP is talking about a generator.

HiRe education

Phys and Chem tutor
HSC
Hi Prawnchip,

The production of AC within a generator
When torque is continually applied onto the shaft of a generator, it will, by Faraday's Law, generate an emf. This results in a current within the coils. However, as the coil turns within the fixed magnetic field, it is going to experience a change in flux in the opposite direction every half a turn. This results in an AC output. If that didn't make sense, simply understand that a turning coil in a magnetic field will naturally produce AC.

The Role of the Slip Rings
The slip rings are fixed onto the output wires of the rotor coil and rotate WITH it. It should be understood that as the coil and hence the slip rings rotate, the slip rings SLIDE against the fixed brushes. They simply facilitate a SLIDING ELECTRICAL CONNECTION. Without the slip rings, the wires from the rotor would continually disconnect from the brushes due to the lack of surface area. Thus, the slip rings DO NOT create the AC, they simply facilitate it's outflow from the internal circuit out to the external circuit.

This would be much easier explained with the aid of diagrams or in person though but I hope that helped! Good luck!

Prawnchip

HSC
Hi Prawnchip,

The production of AC within a generator
When torque is continually applied onto the shaft of a generator, it will, by Faraday's Law, generate an emf. This results in a current within the coils. However, as the coil turns within the fixed magnetic field, it is going to experience a change in flux in the opposite direction every half a turn. This results in an AC output. If that didn't make sense, simply understand that a turning coil in a magnetic field will naturally produce AC.

The Role of the Slip Rings
The slip rings are fixed onto the output wires of the rotor coil and rotate WITH it. It should be understood that as the coil and hence the slip rings rotate, the slip rings SLIDE against the fixed brushes. They simply facilitate a SLIDING ELECTRICAL CONNECTION. Without the slip rings, the wires from the rotor would continually disconnect from the brushes due to the lack of surface area. Thus, the slip rings DO NOT create the AC, they simply facilitate it's outflow from the internal circuit out to the external circuit.

This would be much easier explained with the aid of diagrams or in person though but I hope that helped! Good luck!

Ahhh thankyou :)

science

HSC
Basically, as the coil turns, it will produce a current. When the coil is in its first half of rotation, it will produce a current, however when it is in the second half, it will produce a current in the opposite direction. The slip ring commutator constantly applies the current from the coil to the external circuit, so it will pass this constantly changing direction current on, making it an Alternating Current, AC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)