• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UN Racism Conference=an attack on Israel and Free Speech (1 Viewer)

MissSarajevo

HSC
  • Muslim countries tried to Hijack UN Racism conference into Anti-Israel Conference
  • Muslim Countries wanted to ban free speech in the name of religion
  • US, Canada and Israel pulls out unless the text reference to Israel are changed.

ROME — Italy said Thursday it is pulling out of a U.N. conference on racism _ the latest blow to a meeting seen by many Western governments as marred by Muslim attempts to attack Israel and shield Islam from criticism.

Foreign Minister Franco Frattini also decided to postpone a planned trip to Iran in protest over remarks against Israel and the U.S. administration by Tehran's leadership, the ministry said in a statement.

Speaking on the sidelines of a NATO summit in Brussels, Frattini said Italy has withdrawn its delegation from the preparatory negotiations ahead of the so-called Durban II conference due to "aggressive and anti-Semitic statements" in the draft of the event's final document.

Frattini's comments on the conference were reported by Italian news agencies and confirmed by foreign ministry spokesman Maurizio Massari, who said Rome would not participate in the conference unless the document was changed.
"There are expressions of anti-Semitism," Massari said by telephone. "Until the document is modified we will not have a part in it."

The United States has imposed similar conditions. Israel and Canada have already announced a boycott.

Italy is the first EU country to officially withdraw from the conference, though other nations have threatened not to attend.

Islamic countries, still angry over cartoons and films attacking Muslims, have been campaigning for wording that would equate criticism of a religious faith with a violation of human rights.

The informal negotiations have proven difficult, with many issues that marked the first U.N. conference on racism in 2001 re-emerging _ such as criticism of Israel.

The April 20-25 meeting in Geneva is designed to review progress in fighting racism since the previous summit in South Africa. That meeting was marred by attacks on Israel and anti-Israel demonstrations at a parallel conference of non-governmental organizations.

The U.S. and Israel walked out midway through the conference over a draft resolution that singled Israel out for criticism and likened Zionism _ the movement to establish and maintain a Jewish state _ to racism.
Last week, the Obama administration said the United States will stay away from this year's meeting unless its final document is changed to drop all references to Israel and the defamation of religion.

European nations have expressed hope the summit can go ahead with a final text that is acceptable to all sides.
But they, too, have red lines they say cannot be crossed.
Dutch Foreign Minister Maxime Verhagen said in December that his country would walk out unless anti-Israel statements were scrapped. French diplomat Daniel Vosgien said then that his country opposed the idea of banning criticism of religion.

Members of Italy's center-left opposition and Jewish groups abroad praised Rome's move.
"We applaud Italy for its principled decision not to participate in a conference that seems determined to repeat, if not exceed, the disgrace of Durban in 2001," said David A. Harris, executive director of the American Jewish Committee.

Harris said in a statement he hoped the rest of the EU would join the pullout.
Also on Thursday, the Foreign Ministry in Rome said Frattini's visit to Tehran was postponed in part because of "unacceptable" statements by Iran's supreme leader.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Wednesday accused President Barack Obama of following the same path as the Bush administration with his "unconditional" support of Israel. Khamenei also called Israel a "cancerous tumor" that is on the verge of collapse.
Italy has traditionally good relations with Tehran and Frattini had been invited for talks expected to focus on Afghanistan and regional security issues, the ministry said last month. No date has been set for the trip.
FOXNews.com - Italy pulls out of UN racism conference - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
People attack Israel, and Zionist folks for people racist because they're racist. It's not really that much of an outrage.

I expect Israel to launch a necessary yet regrettable missile at a school in Palestine in retaliation for these violent words.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
People attack Israel, and Zionist folks for people racist because they're racist. It's not really that much of an outrage.

I expect Israel to launch a necessary yet regrettable missile at a school in Palestine in retaliation for these violent words.
No?

Sometimes I wonder if they know the definition of irony. They'll go ahead with the conference either way and denounce Israel, their aim is not peace, but... well, I'm not too sure.

A convention to stop racism that immediately targets a particular religious state. Ha. Countries that cry foul at war, ruining a potentially successful forum for discussion for petty, useless sniping at Israel - fail.

If anything, this conference will now serve to widen the gap between Islam and the Western world, with more Western countries pulling out of the conference by the day and more Islamic countries pledging support for it.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
No?

Sometimes I wonder if they know the definition of irony. They'll go ahead with the conference either way and denounce Israel, their aim is not peace, but... well, I'm not too sure.

A convention to stop racism that immediately targets a particular religious state. Ha. Countries that cry foul at war, ruining a potentially successful forum for discussion for petty, useless sniping at Israel - fail.

If anything, this conference will now serve to widen the gap between Islam and the Western world, with more Western countries pulling out of the conference by the day and more Islamic countries pledging support for it.
Neb was joking.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
You should.
You've been had like a used tampon.

HSC
N/A
Islam is gods worlds. If one criticizes Islam they are criticizing God. the Wrath of Allah's laws must be unleashed on those who are blasphemous.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Islam is gods worlds. If one criticizes Islam they are criticizing God. the Wrath of Allah's laws must be unleashed on those who are blasphemous.
Justice system =/= Wrath of Allah.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No?

Probably revenge. The Arabs are a little cross. You see, Israel killed about 2000 of them in three weeks not long ago. Do you remember that, Jew?

A convention to stop racism that immediately targets a particular religious state. Ha.
Yeah dude because racism = religious discrimination?

Countries that cry foul at war, ruining a potentially successful forum for discussion for petty, useless sniping at Israel - fail.
I'm afraid you got your tongue tied, daft cunt. What you should have said was: "Countries that cry foul at war, succeeding at drawing attention to Israel's abominable human rights record. SUCCESS."

No it won't. The entire Western world sees Israel for what it is - a war mongering, murderous state that has no right to exist on its blood stained soil. Only the US and, for whatever reason, Canada bother to stick by Israel. Italy has pulled out because it is a farce, much like a lot of UN conferences regarding Israel.

The gap between Arab countries ("Islam" yeah gg fucktard) and Western countries will not widen - it will remain the same: united against Israel's needless and barbaric aggression. They simply won't be too fussed about attending a conference that will do very little for anyone.

*bombs a school*

*shells a playground*

They threw rocks at us teacher! :eek:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Probably revenge. The Arabs are a little cross. You see, Israel killed about 2000 of them in three weeks not long ago. Do you remember that, Jew?
Your numbers are off. By about 50%.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I thought it was about 1500 confirmed. Confirmed. Add about 500 and I think we're there.
In any case both numbers are absurdly distressting.
Let's not fight over spilled milk'

(btw: The Israelis spilled it, along with litres of Palestinian blood)

MissSarajevo

HSC
ITALY will not take part in an upcoming UN conference on racism because of a draft declaration that the foreign ministry says contains anti-Semitic language.

"Foreign Minister Franco Frattini decided that Italy was withdrawing its delegation because it does not approve of the draft declaration, which contains unacceptable, aggressive and anti-Semitic phrases,'' a spokesman said today.
Confirmed.

UK threatens to walk away unless the texts are changed, many EU will follow suit. Australia is very quiet. I personally believe we should stand in solidarity with the only democracy in the Middle east Israel, our closest ally and our protector US and our mother country UK regarding this issue.

Italy pulls out 'anti-Semitic' UN meet | The Australian :cake:

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
umm, wtf is this meeting supposed to achieve in the first place. its an absolute farce if the meeting goes ahead or not.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Oh Schroe. You'll need to troll HARDER and FASTER if you want to catch me. I've seen your heartfelt posts on this subject and I know where your heart truly lies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)