un + sucessful entrepreneur's (1 Viewer)

HSC
anyone have a business or had one

was it successful?
what did it involve?
and how old were you went it began?

also if you have investments, buy shares any of that business im interested :D

tedelex06

HSC
i make quite a bit of money programming PHP/AJAX on a few websites. elance is the highest paying i find.

skills you can learn in a few months can make you some decent cash.

John0

HSC
Investing in shares is pretty interesting, although I'm a uni student therefore only working part time atm I try have a reasonable amount invested in shares. I’m studying finance so I find it complements quite well with material I’ve learnt in the past and currently learning. I don’t do anything complicated such as options, derivatives etc or negative gearing, yes you can potentially make alot of money out of these products, but you could also potentially lose alot. Basically once I’ve got 1 or 2 thousand saved up, I generally would start researching shares. I'd look at book value to market value ratios, financial reports, any popular media/press releases surrounding any companies of interest etc. This is to determine if the company is undervalued or overvalued, the current state of the company and potential for the future. This is the opposite of some who simply use the asx as a betting medium and speculate simply by using the previous data to predict if a share will go up or down...

I would read up alot before you actually invest money since you are putting your money at risk. You would need a considerable amount to invest if you wished to realistically trade shares for a living.

louy

HSC
N/A
I have a buy to let property which is doing quite well at the moment. When I first got that property, the interest rate on the mortgage was high as I was a student.

But I remortgage onto a variable rate and then Interest rates fell !!! So making quite a bit of money on that investment at the moment. Holding onto it for long term and hopefully eventually the property rise will rise and I make a bit on capital gains too.

I have a few shares investment, but this is nothing significant. I am just adding to that investment slowly and going to enjoy compund growth. Add a steady $400 a month to that fund.

What I really want to do is start my own business. Just dunno what to do and where yet.

shcottydont

sweet i get a title!!!
HSC
i had a buisness last year (year 11)
we made a cookbook and over 100% return on investment within about 6months
it was only a short term thing, but it was fun and it was successful
it involved a hell of A LOT of time and effort co-coordinating people and resources but luckily the start-up capital was low

when it comes to shares and investment i recommend you invest in education for yourself to learn how to trade successfully - there are many many different courses you could do however they are rather costly but more than worth it!

also before entering the business world, or even while starting make sure you can get as much education as possible as the highest paid people in the world have the highest education (not conventional education schools provide).

also, if you can get a hold of it, there is a great tape by Earl Knightingale entitled 'the greatest secret of all'. it helps start the process of getting over mental barriers many people suffer in relation to entrepreneural adventures

one more piece of advice if you plan on becoming a successful entrepreneur GET A MENTOR!! someone who has been there and done that (be that through business or investment)

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
This isn't my business but it was my dad's. After he closed up the furniture company he opened up a wedding limo car hire company which is still running, but the good years were going at about 12 years. for those 12 years in total we had about 15-20 cars, limos, sedans, convertibles of mercedes benz and roll royce. usually it's a 3 day working week, friday, saturday and sunday, (sometimes a 4 dayer if lucky). each day would be about 3 cars, each at $550-$650. so that's about $5000-$8000 a week, plus tips which are like 50-100 for each one. a good year working every week for a 3 day week would come out at around low 300 000s a per annum. but remember part of this has to be susidised for chauffeurs that get 50 dollars for each gig, petrol and most importantly buying the cars and car maintenence. my dad saved money by also chauffeuring and he was a mechanical engineer so he fixed the cars himself. the turnout each year is good, it's basically a CEO paycheck under the brand name of home business owner. but as always cars, deppreciate severly. evrery limo we bought was second hand and came at around 80000-1200000 dollars, now they're worth 20000-60000. so now we're almost shit broke, good on yah dad for not taking that offer to work in Stuttgart for Mercedes, we all know how much you hate Mercedes, especially after you almost naming me that at my birth

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I must say I haven't had much success in business. I tried doing a tutoring school with some friends when I was 19 - it just never really picked up and I stopped after one semester. I think one problem was none of us were really focused and most people were just more concerned about getting a good job.

Share-wise, I've generally made money here and there during the booms before 2007. That was quite good and allowed me to come out of uni with a few hundred k. Then went to buy a property recently. Wouldn't really consider it a business, but based on the sales next door I've made around 100k on it so far and I'm positively geared so that seems ok. But that said I don't really consider shares + property businesses. Lots of people who work in a job have these things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)