Unconsciously high-ranked schools. (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I've a question for any students of "unconsciously high-ranked schools":

For the students who get x>99, what do their rankings look like? Fair enough, they can't be expected to top all the classes, but how close do they come?

It's 12am, I'm tired; Maths tomorrow.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I'm don't attend an unconsciously high-ranked school, however I know that a guy at my school who got 99.9 last year was ranked 2nd in Chemistry and 1st in everything else (incl. Standard English I think).

I would imagine that to get 99+, you'd have to be ranked around the top 5 in most if not all of your subjects (at a school with a cohort of moderate ability).
Selective schools, of course, are a different matter e.g. the median UAI for JRAHS in 2004 was 99.5 from memory.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
so if to get a uai of about 92 at a school which generally comes at about 200th in the state, what sort of ranking would you kind of need to achieve this result?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
wrong_turn said:
so if to get a uai of about 92 at a school which generally comes at about 200th in the state, what sort of ranking would you kind of need to achieve this result?
That's pretty difficult to ascertain. All sorts of factors can affect your UAI e.g. you haven't specified particular subjects. Even if I had that info, it would still be difficult to estimate the ranks required to get a UAI of 92.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
rench i know what you mean, but i am doing:
advanced english: about 5-10/24 assessment: 68%
maths extension: dont know exact rank, but llikely to be 15-19/33 62%
2u maths: dont know exact rank but likely to be 15-20/63 82%
ancient history: 4/20 assessment 73%
legal studies: 4/15 assessment 74%
chemistry: 22/28 57%
history extension: no marks back ?/5

and like i said earlier, my school has been in the top 200 for a while. last year, 196th

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
You could try plugging your assessment marks into SAM, although I'm guessing you probably already have. Personally, my school was ranked around 100 and that was in a good year...probably the best in the history of the school. For your subjects, I'd be inclined to say that marks of around 84-85 in everything would get you 95+. Note that 84-85 refers to aligned marks which are often significantly higher than raw marks.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
when i plug in my raw marks i get back with about a 68-69UAI :(

so if i can get to at least 80s with most of my subjectsm except 3u maths and chemistry, what does it look like?

stainmepink

HSC
the schools only submit student rankings to the board of studies, so whatever mark you get on ur internal assessment report will be scaled according to how well ur peers do on the actual HSC. So when you plug ur marks in SAM, keep in mind that its not an accurate estimation of ur UAI.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh i know that. that is why i want a rough estimation of what kind of rank i would need to achieve to obtain the 92uai that i need. there were:
band 6:
10 2u maths
8 3u maths
2 anicent
2 legal
2 english advanced

stainmepink

HSC
wrong_turn said:
yeh i know that. that is why i want a rough estimation of what kind of rank i would need to achieve to obtain the 92uai that i need. there were:
band 6:
10 2u maths
8 3u maths
2 anicent
2 legal
2 english advanced

oh ok i see what you mean. to my understanding, genearlly the duxs of good selective schools get 99.9x or 100. or maybe even perhaps 99.8x. the duxs of private/public schools can get anywhere between 95-100 for dux. youd need at least band 5s in all ur subjects to get above 90 UAI i think, therefore, if you went to a selective school, youd have to get above 3/4 of the grade. if you went to a norm school ud have to get like top 25 i think. private? i have no idea.
sorry i didnt read up what type of school u were from. im just going on by assupmtion.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
im from a government non-selective co-ed, languages school. and according to my knowledge, approximately 29 or less got over 90 in last year's hsc

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
sorry abotu hijaking you r thread gav... i needed it haha :D

hello99999

HSC
if you're in about top 1/3 rank for all your subjects at one of the top 5 schools, you should be able to get 99+ UAI if you cane your actual hsc exams. even in top half of the rankings, you should be able to get 96+.

Pointy Ears

HSC
Damn. I go to a public school in the western suburbs, and am in the top 5 for all my subjects. But then again, last year, only one person got into the 90s....not much hope for me aye?

rusty_rouge

HSC
Pointy Ears said:
Damn. I go to a public school in the western suburbs, and am in the top 5 for all my subjects. But then again, last year, only one person got into the 90s....not much hope for me aye?
Same here!! Go the westies! (Well, south-westies, at any rate...)

Does this mean we have a lesser chance of a high, say 95+ UAI??? :(

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
every cohert is different. therefore you are a chance of getting any uai if you are first in all of your subjects.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
gobaby said:
oh ok i see what you mean. to my understanding, genearlly the duxs of good selective schools get 99.9x or 100. or maybe even perhaps 99.8x. the duxs of private/public schools can get anywhere between 95-100 for dux. youd need at least band 5s in all ur subjects to get above 90 UAI i think, therefore, if you went to a selective school, youd have to get above 3/4 of the grade. if you went to a norm school ud have to get like top 25 i think. private? i have no idea.
sorry i didnt read up what type of school u were from. im just going on by assupmtion.
Hehe....99.9x ...hmm .... isn't there only one possible value for x?

At my school the dux has been around mid-99s for the past few years, however in 2003 it was 98.05 from memory.

It's difficult to estimate UAIs based on raw school marks and ranks...the ability of the grade tends to change from year to year, except for selective schools where the cohort is always of a high ability.

A l

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
except for selective schools where the cohort is always of a high ability.
I would like to make a point about that. According to comparisons of school rankings in previous successive years in HSC, it can be said that "ordinary" or average selective schools are on the decline from high positions, with private schools taking their place. The top selective schools often remain unchanged in terms of state performance though.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
A l said:
I would like to make a point about that. According to comparisons of school rankings in previous successive years in HSC, it can be said that "ordinary" or average selective schools are on the decline from high positions, with private schools taking their place. The top selective schools often remain unchanged in terms of state performance though.
In that case I stand corrected.

Though as you said, top selective schools do tend to retain the higher state rankings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)