• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Under 18, Moving Out, Youth Allowance (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Shuter said:
Hmmm, my dad is selling this house and moving to queensland, also, I live over 90 minutes away from univeristy at the moment (which is all that's required to make sure I can get out of home rate rather than at home rate), can I somehow be able to claim myself as independant when I (have to) move out of this house, as my dad is retiring and says I cannot live with him in queensland.
oh yeah! I forgot about that one!

You CAN apply for independence as well as through your parents writing a letter of how you are unable to live at home, which seems appropriate for you. This is usually for people who live in over-crowded homes and what not, but I think it might be helpful for you. :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
hmm. im confused.
i can't get youth allowance yet can I? being a year 12 student still living at home.. right? :confused:
You're able to receive youth allowance once you are over sixteen, and it's based on your family's income if you are living at home. Generally, it's about $170 but this can vary. A lot of kids don't get youth allowance because their parents earn over the maximum amount. I forget what this amount is, but best if you speak to your parents since they should have a general idea of whether you are entitled to payments or not, and then call centrelink :)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
oh yeah! I forgot about that one!

You CAN apply for independence as well as through your parents writing a letter of how you are unable to live at home, which seems appropriate for you. This is usually for people who live in over-crowded homes and what not, but I think it might be helpful for you. :)
can you do that if you have to like move for uni?
Cos I got into uni like 8 hours from where I live, so I have to move but my parents earn too much for me to get anything, and I haven't worked so I dont count as independent, even though i'll be 18 in like a month, so will having to move for uni count? or not....

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
LadyBec said:
can you do that if you have to like move for uni?
Cos I got into uni like 8 hours from where I live, so I have to move but my parents earn too much for me to get anything, and I haven't worked so I dont count as independent, even though i'll be 18 in like a month, so will having to move for uni count? or not....
not sure. i'm sure that if you call up centrelink and inquire about your situation as well as what WILL be your situation, such as you earning and supporting yourself, and currently living way too far away to travel to and from uni etc, and your parents are willing to write a letter to say you are unable to live at home. I reckon you'll be entitled to the normal rate of $170, yet I think that you might need to support yourself for 18 months before you get the independent rate... I'm not entirely sure on that one, but best to call em up.

Centrelink Student and Youth Line: 13 2490

kalli

HSC
hey inner child

on the centrelink webiste it says...

You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and:

- are above school leaving age in your state or territory, and
- are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home

Is this "unreasonable for you to live at home" what you are reffering to?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
kalli said:
hey inner child

on the centrelink webiste it says...

You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and:

- are above school leaving age in your state or territory, and
- are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home

Is this "unreasonable for you to live at home" what you are reffering to?
yup i am :) I spoke to a centrelink worker a while ago and they said that's usually with parental consent stating why it's unreasonable, and i know if you live in an overcrowded home it's valid. But I forget about other situations, since it didn't really apply to me. Best to call the centrelink guys since every situation is different.

This also applies to when a person of authority says how terrible your parents treat you and you wish to live away from them.

Hope that helps!

kalli

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
yup i am :) I spoke to a centrelink worker a while ago and they said that's usually with parental consent stating why it's unreasonable, and i know if you live in an overcrowded home it's valid. But I forget about other situations, since it didn't really apply to me. Best to call the centrelink guys since every situation is different.

This also applies to when a person of authority says how terrible your parents treat you and you wish to live away from them.

Hope that helps!
theres another point for being independant which says you "have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities" but i cant claim that...

i recently lost all my centrelink... i think living 1500k away from home to go to uni is a pretty reasonable excuse for living away from home but i still lost my payments... i might call centrelink anonimously and see what they have to say about this "unreasonable to live at home" point...

i will call tomorrow arvo (coz its closed now) and i will post the response...

Last edited:

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
kalli said:
theres another point for being independant which says you "have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities" but i cant claim that...

i recently lost all my centrelink... i think living 1500k away from home to go to uni is a pretty reasonable excuse for living away from home but i still lost my payments... i might call centrelink anonimously and see what they have to say about this "unreasonable to live at home" point...

i will call tomorrow arvo (coz its closed now) and i will post the response...
i dont think you can call anonimously they ask for you customer reference number.

baby706

can i get centerlink payments or rent assistance if im a first yr apprentice who is going to live out of home because its closer to work? my mum has sole custody of me....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)