Under what circumstance(s) would you see a psychologist? (1 Viewer)

ay0_x

HSC
is that even possible?

maybe my laziness and procrastinatory behavior is because of my dad wearing away at my self worth...
Why isnt it possible? Any action towards us no matter how small has the potential to be lifechanging. Parents are the biggest influences in our lives.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
meh, i dunno much about depression/stuff like that, i actually probably get it sometimes.

tho i do agree completely "Parents are the biggest influences in our lives."

ay0_x

HSC
Ah okay, well, parent + child relationships are really the only things i'm knowledgeable in =\ I tend to be pretty Anti-Family [only because imo most families are epic shit and they are the reason we have evil people in this world ;/]

CecilyMare

HSC
Yeah I guess that would be true to some degree. And goddammit how I envy white people, I can never come up with good comebacks in Chinese to my parents. Or even communicate with them in a healthy manner.

CecilyMare

HSC
I've always wished someone would say I'm awesome enough to adopt but ugh that's not the case here.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Yeah so epic face palm at ayo. You're just finishing high school. You really think you're that knowledgeable on this kind of stuff?

Perhaps it'd be a better idea to not make blanket statements and instead realise you're not a qualified professional. Many school counsellors are not that great, the majority don't really know how to deal with a lot of issues, but there are a number of good adolescent psychologists who can be very helpful.

Cecily - if you really feel like you need someone to talk to, there are ways to see a psychologist without your parents knowing. Your navy friend might be helpful (and if that's the case, great) but if you feel you need to talk to someone who may be more removed from the situation or has further understanding of adolescent issues, then it might be something to explore.

Last edited:

CecilyMare

HSC
Wtf man? I think she's been the most considerate person in this issue since.. like ever. Not that I tell everyone all the time.

ay0_x

HSC
Yeah so epic face palm at ayo. You're just finishing high school. You really think you're that knowledgeable on this kind of stuff?

Perhaps it'd be a better idea to not make blanket statements and instead realise you're not a qualified professional. Many school counsellors are not that great, the majority don't really know how to deal with a lot of issues, but there are a number of good adolescent psychologists who can be very helpful.

Cecily - if you really feel like you need someone to talk to, there are ways to see a psychologist without your parents knowing. Your navy friend might be helpful (and if that's the case, great) but if you feel you need to talk to someone who may be more removed from the situation or has further understanding of adolescent issues, then it might be something to explore.

Wait so you refute that parents are the biggest influence on a child's mental development? I threw a view at her, and she read it and said that it sounded like it applied to her.

I realise very well i'm not a qualified professional, but nothing I've said has been outrageous, and it seems to apply to her situation, & it's a situation that I'm familiar with because it's happened to me. So wtf is your problem exactly?!

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Just be wary of throwing out blanket statements just because it sounds like it may apply. It sounded considerate but I know a lot of people who have ongoing problems because for a long time they refused to look at what they thought to be peripheral issues but instead turned out to be much more important. Family is important, sure, but there is never just one reason for things like this. You can't sit there and make that judgment.

Basically I'm just saying that it's much better to talk to someone who can actually look at the situation and tease out all the underlying issues instead of picking one issue and pointing at it as the problem.

ay0_x

HSC
Just be wary of throwing out blanket statements just because it sounds like it may apply. It sounded considerate but I know a lot of people who have ongoing problems because for a long time they refused to look at what they thought to be peripheral issues but instead turned out to be much more important. Family is important, sure, but there is never just one reason for things like this. You can't sit there and make that judgment.

Basically I'm just saying that it's much better to talk to someone who can actually look at the situation and tease out all the underlying issues instead of picking one issue and pointing at it as the problem.
Fair call, but I wasn't trying to replace professional help.;) More like provide the perspective of someone her own age, someone on her level.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Fair call, but I wasn't trying to replace professional help.;) More like provide the perspective of someone her own age, someone on her level.
...Yeah. Support is helpful, advice like that not so much. But whatever.

When you're 16/17 talking to a psychologist about issues like this can be incredibly daunting but it can also prevent you taking adolescent issues and carrying them across into your adult life. The sooner you sort things out, the better. And like I said, there are ways to gain access to a quality professional without your parents finding out.

HSC
I think you need a more subjective psychologist than your navy friend.. fuck the school counsellor, btw.

Your anger/lack of concentration/zoning out/sadness is a pretty natural reaction to the way your parents treat you.
objective

fauxpas18

HSC
N/A
Never.

I am a devout scientologist.

Psychology is a force of evil.

Lawl.

Jaylee42003

HSC
You just know when you should see one. There is not a criteria.

Also, a good sign is when people (people close to you, that is) say you would benefit from seeing one and you deny it and avoid the topic.

CecilyMare

HSC
I called Kids Help Line 3 years ago once when I was really scared of my dad and since then nothing extreme as that has happened.

So you know.. I got over it.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i probably should go see one
well, i know i need to see one

but i wont, mainly due to procrastination, but also fear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)