• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Underlying cash Outcome (1 Viewer)

jky.

HSC
what is it? Can someone explain please...

jimmik

HSC
the underlying cash outcome is one of two measures of the budget outcome (the other measure is the fiscal outcome). the difference between these two measures is that the underlying cash outcome is calculated as total revenue minus total outlays and net advances (ie it is excluding asset sales and other one off payments) whereas the fiscal outcome is calculated using the accrual method that includes government superannuation owed to its workers. thus the fiscal outcome is a more accurate measure of the budget outcome.

i hope that helps.

HSC
jimmik said:
the underlying cash outcome is one of two measures of the budget outcome (the other measure is the fiscal outcome). the difference between these two measures is that the underlying cash outcome is calculated as total revenue minus total outlays and net advances (ie it is excluding asset sales and other one off payments) whereas the fiscal outcome is calculated using the accrual method that includes government superannuation owed to its workers. thus the fiscal outcome is a more accurate measure of the budget outcome.

i hope that helps.
hmmmmm i was taught that the underlying cash outcome you are describing is actually called the headline cash outcome. This was not focused on as much after the 1995/96 budget when a deficit was actually turned into a surplus but asset sales. The underlying cash balance uses some other accounting method, and isnt as accurate as the accrual method (fiscal outcome) but is focused on now due to distortions on the fiscal outcome caused by the GST

jimmik

HSC
maybe it's the same thing? i dont know, this was the definition i had written in my eco book..*shrugs*

derek_

HSC
underthebridge said:
hmmmmm i was taught that the underlying cash outcome you are describing is actually called the headline cash outcome. This was not focused on as much after the 1995/96 budget when a deficit was actually turned into a surplus but asset sales. The underlying cash balance uses some other accounting method, and isnt as accurate as the accrual method (fiscal outcome) but is focused on now due to distortions on the fiscal outcome caused by the GST
isn't the headline supposably the worst measure of fiscal policy, as it represents the one-off expenditure such as defence ... or something :/

corro

HSC
headline = load of shit
underlying = short term indicator
fiscal outcome = long term

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)