Underperform despite hard work? (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
OP im in a similer situation
what ive started to do is:

Write out study dot points, on what you think is most important.
then write out your own quiz, give yourself 30 mins to complete a test under exam conditions.

it worked well for me = 89% and 1st in economics last week.

calcie

HSC
I am having the same troubles with essay writing in english.
I put in the work, i even get the teacher to look at my work before i hand it in too see what she has to say about it - hints pointers etc... she reads it and tells me i should just re-do it.
i have never ever once come anything but last in my class when it comes to writing essays, i have done all the tutorials on the net, stayed after class/school to get extra healp from different english teachers yet i can not even break the 30% barrier.
I just dont know what to do anymore.

jest3r

HSC
Bear in mind also that it's one thing to memorise the material required for each syllabus dot point, but it's another to actually apply the material learnt in a way that adequately answers an exam/assessment question. It is indeed hard work to memorise concepts, but examiners and/or teachers will only reward the bulk of marks for being able to put these concepts into the context of an actual problem, unless it's a 'define' or 'recall' question, which are usually only worth 1 or 2 marks tops. In saying that, it's very easy to waffle on about something you may think relates somewhat to the question and think that it may score you a few extra marks, but it may indeed be something totally irrelevant and end up being a waste of time writing it all out. Anyway, this was a weakness of mine when I was studying for the HSC, that often robbed me of marks, despite feeling well prepared for exams and some assessments, possibly similar to your situation, cs01001 and many other HSC candidates. Hopefully this helps to some degree...

leoyh

mic`
HSC
could a possible factor be that you're not actually addressing the Q the way it should be addressed? As in like you're not really answering the Q but more so, just brain dumping whatever you think is relevant onto the page? cause i know a lot of ppl who do that. they study, but they just throw whatever they think is relevant onto the page, they don't actually "discuss", "analyse", "evaluate" etc

yeaah, just a random thought

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)