Understanding section 1 questions (1 Viewer)

lealea226

HSC
Hey all!
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with de-coding the section 1 questions? In my trials the questions were hard to understand and becuase we hadnt practised theory at all becuase we were focusing purely on our BOW's we all practically afiled the first section. Sometimes its hard to understand what the question is asking you, and with that you cant give a solid answer. So i was hoping theres someone out there who can help with a way to dumb down the questions so we know what to write?
Thanks!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lealea226 said:
Hey all!
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with de-coding the section 1 questions? In my trials the questions were hard to understand and becuase we hadnt practised theory at all becuase we were focusing purely on our BOW's we all practically afiled the first section. Sometimes its hard to understand what the question is asking you, and with that you cant give a solid answer. So i was hoping theres someone out there who can help with a way to dumb down the questions so we know what to write?
Thanks!
you need to look at the key words within the questions to figure out what part of the theory course the question is asking about. Is it a frames question? conceptual framework question? (world, artworks, audience, artist) if so which one? is it asking about artists practice? or a combination of these?

eg: what do the qualities of plate 1 tell us about Australian identity, answer using the cultural frame. -5marks

this one is quite easy as is specifically refers to the cultural frame, so you need to think about things like:

- what culture, race, identiuty is being represented
- what beleifs, ideology, cencepts are shown
- what social class and gender
- political implications
- signs and symbols, how they reflect the above information
- significant historical events
- time and place
- how these things impact on the artist

Obviously this is too much to talk about for a 5 mark question, so you have to pick the concepts of the cultural frame which seem to fit best with the question and the artwork.

Essay questions will probably need you to explore all these things in a variety of artworks/artists/movements that you have knowledge of. They will most likely require you to look at more then one frame.

hope that helps :)

lealea226

HSC
-may-cat- said:
you need to look at the key words within the questions to figure out what part of the theory course the question is asking about. Is it a frames question? conceptual framework question? (world, artworks, audience, artist) if so which one? is it asking about artists practice? or a combination of these?

eg: what do the qualities of plate 1 tell us about Australian identity, answer using the cultural frame. -5marks

this one is quite easy as is specifically refers to the cultural frame, so you need to think about things like:

- what culture, race, identiuty is being represented
- what beleifs, ideology, cencepts are shown
- what social class and gender
- political implications
- signs and symbols, how they reflect the above information
- significant historical events
- time and place
- how these things impact on the artist

Obviously this is too much to talk about for a 5 mark question, so you have to pick the concepts of the cultural frame which seem to fit best with the question and the artwork.

Essay questions will probably need you to explore all these things in a variety of artworks/artists/movements that you have knowledge of. They will most likely require you to look at more then one frame.

hope that helps :)
Yeah that was helpful thankyou! :)
Its just my teacher gave us some practice questions and for the first time I couldnt answer them, and thats never happened before so I got scared it would happen in the exam!
The questions I got stuck on were:
1 b) "With reference to plates 3 (Bruce Naumann's 'Anthro/Socio') and plate 4 (Michael Kane Tayor's 'Shroud') explain how both artists use new technologies in their artmaking practice to express ideas"

and

1 c) "With reference to plates 5 & 6 (Lawerence Argent's 'I See What You Mean') and plates 7 & 8 (Peter Halley's 'Passive Imposter') examine the different ways an audience can experience these artworks"

The problem with both of those questions is that all the artworks were ones we had never known or looked at so we had no idea what the artists' intentions were. Do you think if you google those artworks you could help me to interperate what the question is asking??

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lealea226 said:
Yeah that was helpful thankyou! :)
Its just my teacher gave us some practice questions and for the first time I couldnt answer them, and thats never happened before so I got scared it would happen in the exam!
The questions I got stuck on were:
1 b) "With reference to plates 3 (Bruce Naumann's 'Anthro/Socio') and plate 4 (Michael Kane Tayor's 'Shroud') explain how both artists use new technologies in their artmaking practice to express ideas"

and

1 c) "With reference to plates 5 & 6 (Lawerence Argent's 'I See What You Mean') and plates 7 & 8 (Peter Halley's 'Passive Imposter') examine the different ways an audience can experience these artworks"

The problem with both of those questions is that all the artworks were ones we had never known or looked at so we had no idea what the artists' intentions were. Do you think if you google those artworks you could help me to interperate what the question is asking??
I got full marks for these questions were in my trial so i know the ones you're talking about.

1b- the question is asking how technology has allowed the artists to greater express their ideas. Of course you cannot know what these ideas actually are, but thats the whole point, you're meant to try to make an educated guess on what they are.
i made the following points:

-Advanced technology has allowed artists to greater express ideas. Use of technology as seen in plate 3 such as projectors, monitors and multiple sarround sound systems has allowed the artist to emphasise drama and fear on an overwhelming level.

-the imposing, angry face of the man would not be as effective in conveying a sense of emotional and sensory overload if it was small.

-many of the faces are beyond lifesize, adding to audiences fear.

- sound adds a new dimension to the work, instead of the audience having to interpret what the images mean, they are told - "feed me, help me, eat me, hurt me. adds to overwhelming nature of work, artist uses technology in practice to better communicate ideas.

- In plate 4, both old and new technology is used in the artists practice to convey ambiguous ideas in work.

- Traditional prints are manipulated through scanning, photoshop, makes image look realistic yet abstract.

- Its possible that this mix of old and new technology in practice reflects the themes apparant in the finished image. Traditionally tribal elements such as the battered bowel, frayed rug and the legs of possibly an indigenous australian/african person lend themselves to the 'old' technology. while in contrast the modern tools, tiling and dogtags represent 'new' technology.

- Ideas about clashing cultures, relected in clash between old and new technologies used in the artists practice.

1c- i had a bit of trouble with the question as well, but in the end took it to mean how different variables could impact on how an artwork is experienced. This was a conceptual framework question, asking about the relationship between the artwork and the audience. I made the following points.

- An audience can experience an artwork in many different ways, depending on how when and why they are veiwing it. in 'i see what you mean' audience can veiw from either inside or outside the building.

-inside, it looks far more imposing, the large blue bear would be looking directly at you, spying on you. Its sheer size and placing giving a more sinister effect.

-This would not apply as much if veiwed from the outside, likley the audience would see it on a far more light and humerous level. This is as the audience is on the same as the artwork, looking in at the workers. The bear is not concerned with the audience on the outside, it is not foccused on them and thus it loses many of its sinister qualities.

- Halleys abstracts can be experienced as purely abstract works , or as deeper works with social meanings. the experience of of pure abstraction and a celebration of line, colour direction and form can be seen in plate 7. when veiwed singularly, it is difficult to discern a representation of "all things in contemporary life".

- This depends on the audience that veiws the work, just as the the work affects the audience, as does the audience affect the work. It is doubtful that an audience with little knowledge of abstraction in the artworld would be able to see a deeper meaning to plate 7, simply recognising the composition of line shape and colour.

- An audience who did have knowledge of the artworld however could see links to other abstract movements such as De Stilj, the artworks in which have a deeper social meaning to them- hence experience of the work can differ in relation the audience and their knowledge of art.

- A artwork which displays similar qualities here would be Mondrans 'composition with yellow red and blue'. Its audiences experience of it changing in relation with their artistic knowledge. Like with Halley, if they had an understanding of abstraction, they would see the work more conceptually, but if not, it would simply be a portrayal of line and colour.

after this i get a bit waffly and crap on about when works are veiwed in or out of a gallerly, dunno if you would want to include shit like that.

hope that was helpful. :)

Last edited:

lealea226

HSC
-may-cat- said:
I got full marks for these questions were in my trial so i know the ones you're talking about.

1b- the question is asking how technology has allowed the artists to greater express their ideas. Of course you cannot know what these ideas actually are, but thats the whole point, you're meant to try to make an educated guess on what they are.

-Advanced technology has allowed artists to greater express ideas. Use of technology as seen in plate 3 such as projectors, monitors and multiple sarround sound systems has allowed the artist to emphasise drama and fear on an overwhelming level.

-the imposing, angry face of the man would not be as effective in conveying a sense of emotional and sensory overload if it was small.

- sound adds a new dimension to the work, instead of the audience having to interpret what the images mean, they are told - "feed me, help me, eat me, hurt me. adds to overwhelming nature of work, artist uses technology in practice to better communicate ideas.

- In plate 4, both old and new technology is used in the artists practice to convey ambiguous ideas in work.

- Traditional prints are manipulated through scanning, photoshop, makes image look realistic yet abstract.

- Its possible that this mix of old and new technology in practice reflects the themes apparant in the finished image. Traditionally tribal elements such as the battered bowel, frayed rug and the legs of possibly an indigenous australian/african person lend themselves to the 'old' technology. while in contrast the modern tools, tiling and dogtags represent 'new' technology.

- Ideas about clashing cultures, relected in clash between old and new technologies used in the artists practice.

1c- i had a bit of trouble with the question as well, but in the end took it to mean how different variables could impact on how an artwork is experienced. This was a conceptual framework question, asking about the relationship between the artwork and the audience. I made the following points.

- An audience can experience an artwork in many different ways, depending on how when and why they are veiwing it. in 'i see what you mean' audience can veiw from either inside or outside the building.

-inside, it looks far more imposing, the large blue bear would be looking directly at you, spying on you. Its sheer size and placing giving a more sinister effect.

-This would not apply as much if veiwed from the outside, likley the audience would see it on a far more light and humerous level. This is as the audience is on the same as the artwork, looking in at the workers. The bear is not concerned with the audience on the outside, it is not foccused on them and thus it loses many of its sinister qualities.

- Halleys abstracts can be experienced as purely abstract works , or as deeper works with social meanings. the experience of of pure abstraction and a celebration of line, colour direction and form can be seen in plate 7. when veiwed singularly, it is difficult to discern a representation of "all things in contemporary life".

- This depends on the audience that veiws the work, just as the the work affects the audience, as does the audience affect the work. It is doubtful that an audience with little knowledge of abstraction in the artworld would be able to see a deeper meaning to plate 7, simply recognising the composition of line shape and colour.

- An audience who did have knowledge of the artworld however could see links to other abstract movements such as De Stilj, the artworks in which have a deeper social meaning to them- hence experience of the work can differ in relation the audience and their knowledge of art.

- A artwork which displays similar qualities here would be Mondrans 'composition with yellow red and blue'. Its audiences experience of it changing in relation with their artistic knowledge. Like with Halley, if they had an understanding of abstraction, they would see the work more conceptually, but if not, it would simply be a portrayal of line and colour.

after this i get a bit waffly and crap on about when works are veiwed in or out of a gallerly, dunno if you would want to include shit like that.

Yeah it was hard to figure out those points when you've never viewed the work. Does that mean that your 1 a) question was about something to do with Australian identity and to refer to the cultural frame? The plate 1 artwork was easier to interperate but the second one with the Aboriginal man with the white line around him, that was abit harder. What did you write for that question?
Again, thankyou soooo much for your help so far!! Its really beneficial to me and ill use your points for my study so I know what points to make in the first section questions :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lealea226 said:
Yeah it was hard to figure out those points when you've never viewed the work. Does that mean that your 1 a) question was about something to do with Australian identity and to refer to the cultural frame? The plate 1 artwork was easier to interperate but the second one with the Aboriginal man with the white line around him, that was abit harder. What did you write for that question?
Again, thankyou soooo much for your help so far!! Its really beneficial to me and ill use your points for my study so I know what points to make in the first section questions :D
this was my question 1a answer:

The qualities of plate 1 which tell us about Australian identity from the culrtural frame include the use of dull earthy colours, reminiscent of the Australian landscape. The hands of the figure in the portrait look old and worn, this can be drawn back to the idea of Australia as a hard working country or a 'working mans paradise'. Plate 2 juxtaposes indegenous qualities of the figure with urban environments, contrasted with the use of bold, flat colour. Showing the rifts, contrast and seperation between the black and white cultural Australian identity as well as displaying the turbulent past of indegenous Australians and anglo-saxon Australians. The microphones, symbols of modern technology, lend to the idea that these issues are still contemporary, that the past will never fully go away and remain a part of Australian identity.

See if you can pick out the points from my 1st post in my answer.

Glad i could help :)

adriana08

HSC
-may-cat- said:

that was my trial question too!!! :)
i got 22/25 :) :) i loved that exam...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
adriana08 said:
that was my trial question too!!! :)
i got 22/25 :) :) i loved that exam...
Me to! How great was that big blue bear artwork.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
adriana08 said:
:):)soo good!! and i also loved 'shroud'
great exam..so..how are you going overall for art??
good, high 90's in trials so im confident (mind that was a bit of a fluke i think, i did no study) how bout you?

adriana08

HSC
-may-cat- said:
good, high 90's in trials so im confident (mind that was a bit of a fluke i think, i did no study) how bout you?
pretty good..coming first 90's as well for all my marks..
well good luck to us :) i'm sure you'll do well..
i can't wait until we get our marks back for our major works...they'll either hate it or really like it..and i have no patience unfortunately :uhoh:

lealea226

HSC
Oh yeah! I forgot about our BOW's! hahaha :p Speaking of which, what did you guys do for yours? Mine was a bunch of 'collection of works' and there was a white rabbit who was the main character and in the first painting i did hes crying and as the tears fall they slowly turn into doves and the doves fly throughout all of my other works I did. I wanna know what my marks are too!! Do you know when we get them back and when we find out who gets into Art Express??

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lealea226 said:
Oh yeah! I forgot about our BOW's! hahaha :p Speaking of which, what did you guys do for yours? Mine was a bunch of 'collection of works' and there was a white rabbit who was the main character and in the first painting i did hes crying and as the tears fall they slowly turn into doves and the doves fly throughout all of my other works I did. I wanna know what my marks are too!! Do you know when we get them back and when we find out who gets into Art Express??
Did you do an alice in wonderland theme? a chick in my grade did that as well.
I did 10 photos, some black and white, some colour, looking at how all people are the same in the end, we are all vulnerable and all feel fear, how people deal with fear differently etc.

I dunno when we get them back, i assume next year or something.

adriana08

HSC
i did a collection of works as well...13 different pieces based on deception..all diff medium. looks at how people hide their 'true' identity, deals with uncovering deception and the different 'masks' people use to change themselves..
yeah i think we get them back end of this year..nov/dec but i'm not too sure..
i want my mark too :)

lealea226

HSC
Nah it wasnt based on alice in wonderland it just had a white rabbit in it becuase rabbits are my favourite animal. But there was a girl in my art class who did do an alic in wonderland theme. Hers was so cool!! Hers was about the subliminal messages in that movie like drugs and teenage pregancy, it was awsme! Mine was a collection of work (49 pieces) all varied in sizes from really small to big and the message was about the process of an idea. The doves is the birth of the idea and the paintings with the white rabbits illustrate the stages you go through form an idea; mind block, brainstorm, imagination going wild, everything blossoming etc. I hope when they sent them off they took good care of them!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)