Unenthusiastic Teacher? (1 Viewer)

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
It's like, he finds it such a chore to read our work. We'll give it to him, say, Thursday or Friday, and he doesn't even look at it till our Wednesday lesson the next week. And then he gets all crapped off if we're not 110% enthusiastic to show him every little bit of our work. His feedback so far has been along the lines of "It's quite good", in 12 different forms. Rargh. Not to mention the lack of guidance in the research area. (But I quite enjoy doing that completely independently, its more fun).

[/rant]

So, what are your teachers like? :D

Cheers, Dani

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
Sounds like you got a bit of a bad egg there, our teacher is great with guidance, enthusiasm, isn't -too- bad with marking stuff.. I think he's a good teacher, can joke round with him and still have a pretty productive lesson, although he does have a tendancy to give me bad marks.

What're you doing for your Major Work anyway?

Loza33

HSC
Hey that sounds like more than ours!!

I can name the amount of times our teacher has talked to us:

- term 4 2006, he handed us our proposal assessments, but with no due date on them

- several weeks later an announcement in the morning notices, asking for all ext. 2 proposals that day!

- half way through term 1 2007 - hands back proposals.. not even in person! He gives them to our parents at parent teacher interviews (week 6)

- last week, announcement in morning notices, saying we will have a lunch meeting on friday where he finally discusses our projects with us - well he gives us marking guidelines! He also hands out 3 assessments - a 10 minute presentation in 3 weeks, viva voce in 2 weeks, a 1500 w. report due start of next term, and our completed major works by the end of this term.. a month and a half away!!

I am so stressed about it.... no warning, no help, nothing!!!!

Last year, he completely stuffed up, didnt even read the girls (there was only two of them) drafts until 2 days before they needed to be sent off! and he sent them away LATE!!!!

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Have any of your teachers said: "Change it or drop out"?

No? I have little sympathy for you then. However, in regards to "hand in" marks, you should have a subject outline that lists all of that. If you don't, ask for one.

If you're not getting enough feedback, get an editor or a mentor. Someone who will look at your work and tell you, objectively and with some knowledge, what to improve.

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Not sure if that was directed specifically at me or to us whingers in general :D If I could un-drop Gen Maths and go back to 12 units, I most probably would. Unfortunately I dropped it before our old (awesome) English teacher left in term 4 of 2006. If I've made it sound like I hate the course, I definitely don't - I like it better than any of my other subjects (and that's saying something) - he just makes it seem less fun and stuff.

The thing is, he is really quite a cool guy for Adv and 3U and chatting to in general, he's just very meh otherwise. Just out of curiosity, is it normal to have several mentors? Like, 2 or 3 rather than just one? I'm thinking thats the direction I'll be heading in soon enough, to be on the safe side, except it might be a bit of a pain to organise or... whats that word? Synthesise, or whatever. All the feedback I mean.

Loza33, my deepest sympathies >_< your teacher sounds muy evil. Are there many people in your class? 3 students in mine.

Edited to add when I dropped Maths

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
My EE2 teacher made me drop, that's why I made the comment.

It's not unusual and it's not a bad idea to have a lot of people examining your work. It gives you a broader perspective, especially if you have fellow writers or just a friend who doesn't mind reading your stuff. You are also free to pick and choose what advice they give you, whatever you don't agree with don't use but normally people will highlight little things that you've missed.

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
aha wow, seems like there're some real bad teachers out there ;s
guess i'm lucky to have a good teacher, but even if yours does suck you can always count on the hoards of posters on here to help you out ;D

Edit: I give mine to two close friends and a teacher at school, going to get a friend to give it to a teacher at their school though, so I can get an opinion on it from a person who doesn't know me(just like the marker wont).

Loza33

HSC
WTF!bbq said:
Just out of curiosity, is it normal to have several mentors? Like, 2 or 3 rather than just one? I'm thinking thats the direction I'll be heading in soon enough, to be on the safe side, except it might be a bit of a pain to organise or... whats that word? Synthesise, or whatever. All the feedback I mean.

Loza33, my deepest sympathies >_< your teacher sounds muy evil. Are there many people in your class? 3 students in mine.

Edited to add when I dropped Maths
Well, another teacher has beenhelping out.. in fact she was the one who organized the meeting the other day and the handing out of assessments... if it wasnt for her we probably wouldnt have even had a meeting!!! And my ext. 1 english teacher has been helping a bit... well, he looked at my log book, which is more than can be said for my actual teacher!! My drama teacher has been helping, as she was in my movie and an IT teacher has been helping work the movie program... so go for it!! More mentors, more opnions more assistance!!

Yea, there is 5 people in my class and they all get angry at our teacher!

jimmayyy

HSC
WTF!bbq said:
It's like, he finds it such a chore to read our work. We'll give it to him, say, Thursday or Friday, and he doesn't even look at it till our Wednesday lesson the next week. And then he gets all crapped off if we're not 110% enthusiastic to show him every little bit of our work. His feedback so far has been along the lines of "It's quite good", in 12 different forms. Rargh. Not to mention the lack of guidance in the research area. (But I quite enjoy doing that completely independently, its more fun).

[/rant]

So, what are your teachers like? :D

Cheers, Dani
this sort of thing really pisses me off. as a teacher (i should know, both parents, 2 aunts and an uncle + countless family friends) if you take year 12 you need to be fully committed, let alone an extension course. get stuck into him personally or make a comment to a superior, its bullshit that teachers lag on EE2, it should be their main priority.

my teacher is fairly good. we get on really well personally, so that always helps I suppose. i had him for advanced in 9 and 10 and both understand where we are coming from. he doesnt put up with any shit, which is good in a course like this as well. he is a little bit lax with coming to classes and not telling he won't be there one day, but apart from that im glad ive got him.

jimmayyy

HSC
PS, its good to keep in mind this teacher you speak of shouldnt be your only one. talk to other english teachers, teachers from other schools, teachers you know have marked this course in the HSC (if you are lucky enough to know any) etc etc and most importantly show your work to as many teachers as possible to get their opinions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)