unfair (1 Viewer)

beststreet

HSC
N/A
hi there, heres the story

i got 12/20 of my module c essay on powerplay. we havent started antony and cleopatra. the test stated that we could use antony and cleopatra as an example if we wished. i also do ancient history so with my extra knowledge of the story i added an example in reference to A&C (2 sentences). the teacher that marked it has another class who have completed A&C, she wrote a comment about my poor reference to A&C because of its 'weighting' in the unit. so she mistook me for her own student when marking the essay. my own teacher tried to weasel out of it claiming 'but it is a high C!'. WOW! thanks....bitch

im gonna find out the class average and if its higher, push for mine to be excused and marked average. thats my story. god i hate english, and english staff. our whole english faculty are divorced woman, its unreal

HSC
N/A
a) are you sure that she mistook you for her student (has she admitted this)
and b) - why did you make reference to historical examples in an english assessment?

Antony and Cleopatra - the history, is hugely different from the Shakespearian play. I mean, if you WERE doing A&C (the play) and wanted to talk about the use of creative license/liberty in the creation of the play then by all means you could make references to what actually happened... but making references to things that happened in real life as opposed to an analysis of a literary text is a bit of a no-no in english.

Back to point a - I'd take this issue up with the Head of English at your school, if it is true that you weren't required to cover A&C but were marked down because you didn't cover it enough, then by all means your paper should be remarked with this taken into consideration (NOT to be given a default "average" mark).

beststreet

HSC
N/A
she is revising all our papers for her 'own enjoyment'. our question was something like 'you are presenting a talk to a yr 11 class about the topic powerplay...go nuts'.

all i mentioned was that powerplay comes in many forms, i.e sexual powerplay - antony and cleopatra, which i know is one of the main themes ( i scanned a study guide once lol) nothing else about their relationships, just the power that sex can hold over an individual. it was seriously 1 sentence, nothing more, no depth whatsoever, no reference to what ive learnt in history (augustan age, triumverate and whatnot).

yea our head english teacher is as bad, but i think its worth it now i am no longer under internal assessment, its not the 1st time the english staff have fucked me over, and before i didnt want to create an 'attitude'. nothing to lose really, thanks mate

HSC
N/A
^ did you analyse it from a literary perspective though?

eg how the author conveyed the sexual powerplay, the techniques they used and how effective they were etc. The thing with english is that it isn't sociology and you can't get away with saying "stuff" - it has to be literary stuff, and whilst what the authors have done is important it's equally important (if not more) to look at how it was done.

But other than that, yeah I would argue for it to be remarked. If it's a case of "yes yes we told you in the assessment you'd only have to do xyz but we've since changed our minds and are going to remark according to new criteria" then that's totally dodgy and you should fight for a remark (if anyone else got screwed over like this, group together. If the english department chooses to still be stupid, take it up with the principal of your school)

NB: I'm assuming this 12/20 mark counts for something, and isn't just the mark for a non-assessed paper...

beststreet

HSC
N/A
yea its our section III essay for our trials. all i wrote was seriously ONE SENTENCE which stated something along the lines that powerplay is everywhere, including sexual manipulation, as seen in A&C.

her comments were "antony and cleopatra.... WEIGHTING!" in scribbled pen above my marks. i made no attempt to justify, it was just an example that i assumed would gain me some kudos, thinking i was original when the rest of the class have no idea what happens. but yea, shes in the wrong, i'll confont her when my papers come back again.

HSC
Isn't A&C your main text for powerplay? Why would you do a powerplay assesment task, without having done A&C? Duh/

_BaadShah_

HSC
I would have to agree with Elendil ^^ .. if it's an assessment which is on powerplay, you should have extensive knowledge of A&C. Cause HSC well you have to talk about A&C a lot.

Shouldn't your teacher have known what is going to be in the test? It is a trial and teachers usually know before hand what's in the exam.

Pretty Odd. A&C is a core part of powerplay and you did the trials related to that without even learning it. Unlucky. But do protest . Goodluck.

Also didn't other students in your class protest? what marks did they get?..you can't be the only one.

Edit: The first thing we learnt when i done the hsc last year was A&C. Since it is pretty long, especially listening to the tape and reading the book..

cheers, ash

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)