Unfairness - and share your stories here (1 Viewer)

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Well, so I got an interview on the Friday before last at a City newsagency, the lady said that she might employ me and gave me a training day last Wednesday. She then offered me the job on the spot on that day and asked me to come in on Monday (this week) for paperwork and for my first day.

Both days went well, she just showed me stuff around the store and I stamped mags. She was satisfied with me and her husband trained me with newspapers early yesterday morning. Then she asked me yesterday whether I'd still like the position, 'cos another girl's on the list as well, I said yes, of course. She was satisfied with my work (which was only with stamping mags and nothing else, 'cos the rest was all demonstrations) and showed me the roster etc.

...and then, when I went in this morning, she was like, my husband would like to have a chat. There he told me that I couldn't have the job yet, as they wanted to train a few other girls and should things change, they'd call me in a week.

I was like WHAT?!

I can't think of any mistakes that I might've made, my b.f. did come and visit me, and I did hug him, while the lady was busy with a customer and paused in my training - she had been showing me stuff so it wasn't like I had stuff to carry on with. I did say that I was sorry for the other girl...and I swore a little when I made a small mistake, but overall, it was all good. It was like my first day and I might've not been very smooth with the newspapers etc...but dammit.

I can't believe that they can do that, but it seems like to be the guy's idea and his wife had to follow - he might not have known about employing me, even though there was a space of 5 days b.t. Wed and Mon, it was just said to me in person, in words, by his wife - he wasn't even there! Ugh.

What are your 'unfair' stories?

Last edited:
L

littlewing69

I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do that, and you can recuperate wages for the 'trial days'.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZabZu

HSC
littlewing69 said:
Call the ombudsman. They're not allowed to do that, and you can recuperate wages for the 'trial days'.
Its perfectly legal due to the removal of unfair dismissal laws for small businesses.

Workers' can go to court if they feel they have been discriminated against but its very expensive.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
No it is NOT legal. She is entitled to paid trials. Yes with dismissals but not "free trials".

You can ask Legal Aid for some advice. It's free. I did this once, and Legal Aid sent a letter to my company warning them. They paid me very quickly.

Cyk, basically you need to talk to them maturely and assertively. What are you meant to do? Hold out and reject other job offers until they figure out if they want you? Talk to them and go look for another job in the meantime.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Yeah just reitterating, there is no such thing as unpaid trial work days.
Its illegal.
Threaten to sue!

tiffanyV

HSC
well, i dunno whether my story is an unfairness or not, anyway Im telling it right now. I just got a job at Coles working as cashier and have been trained for 3 times already, yet somehow today after my 3rd training, the people there told me that my manager - the man who's been in charge of me now on his 2 weeks holidays without leaving any messages, and without telling them 'bout me. Next, they said there were 2 options for me : as I should give a call to the lady who i first met 2day as she's also another manager & ask her whether she needs people to work, or else wait till my manager comes back in 2 weeks. That's totally sh**t as i got used to dealing with the cashier operation thingy and remember all the stuffs, then they just cut me down. What if i'll forget everything after 2 weeks and what if once he's back, he no longer wants me. I'm feeling so pissed off at the moment; how could the manager be so irresponsible without scheduling my timetable b4 he left? Also, because of tis , then I got a fight with my mum, she said tat im so stupid in believing people so easily and she said like it's all my faults. It's not like i want things turn out tis way. So gimme a break, mum....................:burn:

"Chubby"

HSC
This is my unfair story:

ive worked for apporx 3 weeks now and i haven't been paid. Got my paper work during the 2nd week. New people before me waited for a month to get paid.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Yeah, I've applied for other jobs in the meantime, I really hate the stage where they really like you at the interview, and they say they're going to call you to accept you, and then they call you, but say that an interview has been arranged with another person, and now to be fair, they'd have to interview him/her as well.

Your job hangs in the balance again.

seeto.centric

woop woop err i mean somewhere in the Hills
HSC
thats rather unprofessional of them to tell you that directly.. but i guess its one of those things you always have to be prepared for. its just how it is i guess- there will always be demand for employment and employers will endeavour to find the most fit person to fulfill the position. so i guess it is fair to say that it is expected that employers actively seek new staff.

hope things go well!

-julz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)