Uni Acceptance (1 Viewer)

TrueHappiness

HSC
Will one's chances of being accepted into university be affected by ethnicity? Namely the application's ethnical name, per say - chinese. Because Ive heard of "stories" of such occurences.

And in specifically, will one's name affect courses that require a interview?

I know this question seem a bit... idiotic, with all of the anti-discrimination they teach you at school. But i just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

Doomah

HSC
for sure, whos gonna want say "Bin Laden" at their uni?

HSC
N/A
No, well atleast not for large undergrad unis (i.e group of 8).
I doubt they would even look at the applicants name, the only thing they take into account is likely ones uai/enter score and whether and whether ur a local or international student.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
if you're applying for a standard course then admissions are determined by computers on the basis of your marks. i don't think there's much or any human involvement.

for courses that require interviews... there could theoretically be ethnic/racial discrimination if you happened to get a dickhead interviewer, but i think that unis would make sure that their recruitment officers are more professional than that. in the OP's case, since so many of the top HSC students are of asian background it's hard to imagine that unis would be rejecting asians en masse because of their ethnicity.

Joel8945

HSC
Will one's chances of being accepted into university be affected by ethnicity? Namely the application's ethnical name, per say - chinese. Because Ive heard of "stories" of such occurences.

And in specifically, will one's name affect courses that require a interview?

I know this question seem a bit... idiotic, with all of the anti-discrimination they teach you at school. But i just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
No. Your ethnicity wont affect your university placement.

bayside9

HSC
As long as they get your money, they're happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)