Uni assignments (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone private message or give me a link to a uni assignment that they have previously done so I can see this Harvard referencing thing in action.

The thing that confuses me is that you write something you find out. Do you write the source next to your information or you put an asterix next to that sentence and you write your source at the bottom of the page.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Just a question, do you specifically have to use Harvard style in-text referencing? I'm just asking as in-text referencing can really clutter and stilt an essay if you are going to be using a ton of sources, in which case you may want to opt for footnotes.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Harvard system FTW. So dirty that the History faculties are staunchly pro-footnote.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Harvard system FTW. So dirty that the History faculties are staunchly pro-footnote.
It makes sense though, you end up referencing practically every sentence in a history essay, can you imagine trying to read that with in text referencing?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Just a question, do you specifically have to use Harvard style in-text referencing? I'm just asking as in-text referencing can really clutter and stilt an essay if you are going to be using a ton of sources, in which case you may want to opt for footnotes.
Yeah I have to use Harvard, checked on the UNSW referencing site and they give examples using in text referencing, just wondering should I use footnotes or in text as they gave it as an example.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It's really just personal reference, i reference A LOT in my essays so i use footnotes so as not to stilt my writing. If you're not referencing quite as much and feel more comfortable with with in-text, then stick with that.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
It makes sense though, you end up referencing practically every sentence in a history essay, can you imagine trying to read that with in text referencing?
Yeah, you're not wrong there. Although our history lecturer is trying to encourage us not to do that, so maybe by bringing in Harvard referencing he'd be able to influence students into cooperating.

Gmac_0

HSC
Yeah it seems a lot of people hate intext because it sort of ruins the flow. I'm the student though, so that isn't my problem lol, mine is that I have four subjects and three diff referencing systems. It used to be that pretty much everyone went by the one system, but now every little faculty and school has its own ever so slightly different system to shit people off.

Raix

HSC
Luckily both of the faculties I'm in use Harvard. So basically, everything is cited in-text using author and date, then listed in a full reference list at the end right?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yeah, you're not wrong there. Although our history lecturer is trying to encourage us not to do that, so maybe by bringing in Harvard referencing he'd be able to influence students into cooperating.
o_O
Your history lecturer is trying to encourage you not to reference idea's that aren't your own? Thats odd...

Or do you mean just load all your references up at the end of 5 or so sentences?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)