Uni Degree

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Hi, so ik its early, but im not particularly loving my degree

actually its completely fine atm, but im worried about years 2-5 when the workload will be alot more intense.

taking 3 math subjects a term will be super intense. Its about 7 hours a week of lectures and tutorials for math subjects, plus an additional 5+ hours of self-paced learning on an online platform. when you factor in hw and study/exams (5 hours a week per subject), this equates to around 51 hours a week at least, which is more than a full-time job.

when i compare this to taking 3 commerce subjects a term: 3.5 hours of lectures and tutorials + 1.5 hour hw and study/exams per subject, this is only 15 hours a week total.

15 hours a week vs 51 hours a week is a significant difference, especially when the math is also extremely more mentally draining due to its difficulty.

In order to move forward in my adv math degree, i have to get at least 70 in most classes as a requirement, which is also a challenge i need to consider.

I've looked at other degrees (both at unsw and other unis), and they all look boring.

im considering maybe switching to actuarial / commerce to lighten the workload a bit. this is also a 4 year degree instead of a 5 year degree. i honestly dont think the adv math adds much to my degree, so im thinking this might be the move

any thoughts or advice?

jonolad69

HSC
Adv. math sucks, why do you think 90% of the cohort drop out after 1st and 2nd year lol

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Adv. math sucks, why do you think 90% of the cohort drop out after 1st and 2nd year lol
yeah i know, but despite it being tremendously hard, its the only subject that somewhat interests me.

i really have no idea what i want to do.

i could just do commerce, but its dry and boring. im not stepping near law, i would literally die of bordem. some type of med degree could be interesting, or maybe engineering??

idkkdi

HSC
yeah i know, but despite it being tremendously hard, its the only subject that somewhat interests me.

i could just do commerce, but its dry and boring. im not stepping near law, i would literally die of bordem. some type of med degree could be interesting, or maybe engineering??
laws pretty fun

liamkk112

HSC
Hi, so ik its early, but im not particularly loving my degree

actually its completely fine atm, but im worried about years 2-5 when the workload will be alot more intense.

taking 3 math subjects a term will be super intense. Its about 7 hours a week of lectures and tutorials for math subjects, plus an additional 5+ hours of self-paced learning on an online platform. when you factor in hw and study/exams (5 hours a week per subject), this equates to around 51 hours a week at least, which is more than a full-time job.

when i compare this to taking 3 commerce subjects a term: 3.5 hours of lectures and tutorials + 1.5 hour hw and study/exams per subject, this is only 15 hours a week total.

15 hours a week vs 51 hours a week is a significant difference, especially when the math is also extremely more mentally draining due to its difficulty.

In order to move forward in my adv math degree, i have to get at least 70 in most classes as a requirement, which is also a challenge i need to consider.

I've looked at other degrees (both at unsw and other unis), and they all look boring.

im considering maybe switching to actuarial / commerce to lighten the workload a bit. this is also a 4 year degree instead of a 5 year degree. i honestly dont think the adv math adds much to my degree, so im thinking this might be the move

any thoughts or advice?
acturial already has a good amount of math so if you’re finding it too much, you can always drop to acturial by it self or another double with acturial as you said, and this would also be the easiest choice afaik as the semester 1 subjects u did would be able to carry over for the most part (if u transfer after this sem)

you could always switch from advanced math to a science degree with a major relevant to medical stuff if u really wanted to. however engineering workload is on the exact same level as acturial / adv math, or so i’ve heard, but it is much more varied than 3 math classes at once in content.

also u can always drop from adv math to regular math major. would reduce the workload slightly (no “higher” classes), teaches nearly identical stuff and only difference is there’s no honours year built in, which it doesn’t seem like u would be interested in anyway.

overall as people have said advanced math is pretty notorious for high drop rates and all, especially compared to math courses at other unis. so there’s really nothing wrong with dropping now if u realised u won’t enjoy it, just try to make sure that u don’t switch to something with just as high of a workload that u don’t enjoy so u won’t end up wasting a sem or two (but it’s not the be all end all)

also isn’t half of acturial studies commerce related stuff? afaik acturial jobs are 60% just doing excel stuff lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)