Uni Elections - Source results (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Okay voted for Kirstin for this pink ballot paper.

elfm

HSC
i voted for kirsten but i drew a dick on it so i dunno if they'll count it.

it was just funny at the time...

kirstin hunter

HSC
elfm said:
i voted for kirsten but i drew a dick on it so i dunno if they'll count it.

it was just funny at the time...
That's gold.

I'll get my scrutineer to keep an eye out for it and let you know :)

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Not from what I see. There's nothing more racist about a white people society than a Phillipino, or Hong Kong society. You could argue that it is racist as one group is a society for a group of people with a certain skin colour, whereas the other is a society for people from a certain country, but in all honesty there isn't enough white people at UNSW to warrant a society for any primarily white country, hence, the Caucasian society.
Science students don't know the difference between culture, race and nationality?

Racism can only be used when someone is talking about race. Last time I checked Phillipino is not a race, it's a nationality. Hong Kong is also a nation state and not a race. Those groups accept members from those national backgrounds, they do not discriminate on the basis of race, unlike a society for 'caucasions' only.

B

Bambul

CASOC clubs are not allowed to discriminate on membership (except for contituent clubs). So anyone is allowed to join the Jewish or Greek society, even if you are not Jewish or Greek. Though usually, if you're willing to pay them $5, anyone will gladly take you. I had a friend who was an active member of the Chinese Society because he liked their parties, but he wasn definitely not Asian.

The only exception is constituent societies. They are clubs where everyone from a school, faculty or college is automatically a member. With those you become a member by being a member of the school/faculty/college, you don't join per se. But even then, you can usually still go to their events, so it doesn't really matter.

Oh, and go Hamish and Caitlin!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
wheredanton said:
Science students don't know the difference between culture, race and nationality?

Racism can only be used when someone is talking about race. Last time I checked Phillipino is not a race, it's a nationality. Hong Kong is also a nation state and not a race. Those groups accept members from those national backgrounds, they do not discriminate on the basis of race, unlike a society for 'caucasions' only.
No need to get all worked up about it chump.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)