Uni Entry (1 Viewer)

steven_tiger

hello people

i was just wondering if being the school vice captain would help me in gaining a spot at uni.

i want to do sports administration at UC, but am not very confident about my UAI at the moment :(

my current marks are:

gen. maths : 87
business studies : 77
biology : 77
adv. eng 62
pdhpe: about 50 and really struggling.. i hate my teacher!

i dont think i am going to get into uni :(

steven_tiger

about 73... still not confident though.

but i have been 'cruising' so far and when i need to study i will. my exam marks will be better.

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
I hate to break this to you, but entry to uni for majority of courses is solely based on marks alone. Even for courses that aren't, it's based on work not status. They don't give a shit who you were at high school, it's what you did at high school.

So yeah, being vice captain certainly won't help you get into uni.

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey,
I got a UAI of 90 and I am a first yr student at the University of Canberra - I am doing Commerce / Economics - it is a GREAT uni! A few of my friends r doing sports admin - they reckon it is pretty cool.

With the UAI of 73 - make sure u aim a little higher as with the govt cutting all the HECS positions etc, it is likely it will go up.

2ndly , I was Capitan of the SRC at my school too and it doesn't give you any bonuses in regards to university entrance..

BUT!!! where do you live? The university of Canberra ( as well , if not ALL universities), have a program which UAC run. It is called an equity scheme - UAC says if you live in a population of less than 10,000 people PLUS you can't be less than 1.5 hrs from a city - then you can get 'disadvantage marks'.. If you are eligible, ring UAC and send the forms to them plus a letter from the school. You can get around 5 extra 'invisible' marks. I think all universities in NSW and the ACT have this equity scheme.

Any questions about UC - u can email me:

c.m.elliot@student.canberra.edu.au

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by steven_tiger
i was just wondering if being the school vice captain would help me in gaining a spot at uni.
I believe that a few universities (such as UWS) accept some students during the preliminary round of offers, based on a principal's recommendation and a personal statement written by yourself (which would include such extracurricular activities/positions as vice captain).

The UAC site, and the sites of individual universities, should have more information.

steven_tiger

Originally posted by googy_1985
Hey,
I got a UAI of 90 and I am a first yr student at the University of Canberra - I am doing Commerce / Economics - it is a GREAT uni! A few of my friends r doing sports admin - they reckon it is pretty cool.

With the UAI of 73 - make sure u aim a little higher as with the govt cutting all the HECS positions etc, it is likely it will go up.

2ndly , I was Capitan of the SRC at my school too and it doesn't give you any bonuses in regards to university entrance..

BUT!!! where do you live? The university of Canberra ( as well , if not ALL universities), have a program which UAC run. It is called an equity scheme - UAC says if you live in a population of less than 10,000 people PLUS you can't be less than 1.5 hrs from a city - then you can get 'disadvantage marks'.. If you are eligible, ring UAC and send the forms to them plus a letter from the school. You can get around 5 extra 'invisible' marks. I think all universities in NSW and the ACT have this equity scheme.

Any questions about UC - u can email me:

c.m.elliot@student.canberra.edu.au
thanks buddy... i live in griffith, which has a population of 24 000 and is 4.5 hours from canberra.

i didnt think being VC helped. some people said yes, but others said no.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you are only a few marks off the course of your choice, the UNI will sometimes let a few extra people in if you ring up and beg. And in that case, being a vice captain will work in your favour...but yeah, I wouldn't count on it to open any doors for you, unfortunately, although it would definately be worth mentioning. But it will only make a tiny difference-it it makes any difference at all. :(

But your marks don't look that bad...if you study I reckon you would get in anyway.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'd have to agree with Laz entirely! But you should make the most of your HSC! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)